Hope you all got your APs before today!! 6/18

10 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We did Fort with no park tickets a couple of times, we enjoyed it.

Two years we have stayed for a week during 4th of July and never stepped foot into the parks due to Silver blackouts.

We didn't miss it at all.

It felt like we were getting our $$$ worth out of the site.

We resort hopped and just hung out at the site and the pool.

And in fact, we had relatives staying on site the same time at the resorts, (they did do the parks) and they ended up visiting us more than us visiting them.

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

See that right there is exactly how we (who love the Fort), need to think about it.  Our family can no longer (financially) continue with APs and staying at the Fort... but even if we could, you have to ask yourself when do you push sentimentality aside, sit down and really look at the numbers.

Crazy stuff.

I won't ever regret spending time, and subsequently money, with the family camping. You can't buy that time back at the end of your life. But you can definitely spend time and way less money going to other places.

I can see us taking a lot more weekend trips in the future, and that is fine with me. I am wanting more trips to the mountains anyway. We are to the point now where the kids always want to take friends. That is one of the reasons that we bought a bigger camper. As a family of 5 we are tapped out on seats in the truck. So that means if friends go we take 2 vehicles. Taking 2 vehicles to the Smokies is way cheaper and easier than 2 to the Fort. Heck even going to the beach is 4.5 hours shorter. We can do a long weekend for $500. A trip to Disney is always $2k to $3k per trip. Another issue is the kids don't have many friends who's parents will pay for the passes to Disney, and I typically pay for all of their food anyway. We had 2 friends lined up to go with us to the Fort next week, but both backed out. I am pretty sure it is due to pass prices.

13 hours ago, kadancer said:

Our plan was to buy AP's next summer that would last into the 50th anniversary year ...

You've got me thinking there... I know I really want to be there for the 50th, partly because it will also be our 25th anniversary and we had to cancel our 20th anniversary trip.  We've also had a lot of job "stuff" around here in the past year that makes us want to be more careful about how much $ we throw at our annual.  We may need to consider juggling our plans so that if we do get another AP, we know (as much as we can) that we'll get enough time in to get our money's worth, and that it'll take us into the 50th. Or... we skip this year (again) and keep socking those Disney Rewards dollars away, and plan for a blowout trip for the 50th.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

On a side note, it seems like camping overall has gotten $$$ at a lot of non government campgrounds.

They may have cheaper basic rates, but when you start adding in extra people and paying for some of the amenities the rates start looking like Fort prices

It's been that way up here for a long time, and getting more expensive all the time. The bigger campgrounds up this way like Normandy Farms - which is probably the closest to a "resort" campground as you'll find around here - charges $118 a night (before tax) for a premium site on a holiday weekend.  Sure they have a few pools, dog park and some things for kids to do, but on a scale of 1 - The Fort, it's a solid 6 at best.

Our favorite local family campground charges $49/nt for a holiday weekend with full hookups for up to 4 people. They have one pool... and bingo.

29 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I won't ever regret spending time, and subsequently money, with the family camping. You can't buy that time back at the end of your life. But you can definitely spend time and way less money going to other places.

Agreed.

I've grown up visiting the fort since the late 70's. We would rarely visit a park there was always so much to do at the fort. I still visit at least once a year and Being a little older now 8) we've gotten AP's in the last 2 years (never had them before) we would run and hit some fastpasses, but when we come to the fort we just like spending our time there. Theirs always loopin to do and We're close enough to run out for a day trip or a one niter. The fort with no park tickets can be a blessing 😀  you get to slow down and take it all in.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:20 AM, ImDownWithDisney said:

I can see us taking a lot more weekend trips in the future, and that is fine with me. I am wanting more trips to the mountains anyway. We are to the point now where the kids always want to take friends. That is one of the reasons that we bought a bigger camper. As a family of 5 we are tapped out on seats in the truck. So that means if friends go we take 2 vehicles. Taking 2 vehicles to the Smokies is way cheaper and easier than 2 to the Fort. Heck even going to the beach is 4.5 hours shorter. We can do a long weekend for $500. A trip to Disney is always $2k to $3k per trip. Another issue is the kids don't have many friends who's parents will pay for the passes to Disney, and I typically pay for all of their food anyway. We had 2 friends lined up to go with us to the Fort next week, but both backed out. I am pretty sure it is due to pass prices.

Nope, nor should you.  To go back and regret time spent with your children, is something that no one should ever do.  Making memories at Disney is wonderful.  But after traveling across the country twice now with my kiddos, I've come to realize that the magic wasn't Disney.... it was the time spent, making memories, with my babies.   And yes, you can definitely make those magical memories, by spending less going to other places.  Heck, even cross-country for a month was less than APs and a 10 night stay at the Fort.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:22 AM, ImDownWithDisney said:

We have been so many times in the last few years that a park day now for us is a couple hrs in the morning and maybe a few in the afternoon. On our last trip we barely did that. The crowds and wait times just don't do it for me. We hit some FP's then roll out. I told my wife on our last trip that I would not care if we did not even go to a park. Of course, the kids don't feel the same way. I really enjoy Fort time and visiting the resorts and DS.

These price increases are really getting out of hand. A $225 increase in 1 year is outrageous. I think the Disney bean counters are just throwing things out there to see if they stick. Obviously, there are enough people willing to pay. By the time 2021 rolls around I bet AP's will be pushing $1700.

I am going to do AP's again next year, but after that I am not so sure. I have 2 girls that will be needing cars soon. For what we spend per year on Disney I can pay cash for 2 fairly nice rides.

We started not to renew this year for this very reason. Sometimes we will go in and ride one ride. My new thought is that if we actually want to go we will just attend one day at one of the over priced parties or after hours events. Then we can ride what we really want to anyway.

57 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Oh, by the way, Sam's Club is now offering Annual Passes at a SIGNIFICANT discount.

http://allears.net/2019/06/22/sams-club-offering-discounts-on-disney-tickets-and-annual-passes/

Wow... even if you paid to join Sam's club for a year that is a HUGE savings...

Disney World Platinum Pass — General Public

• Walt Disney World Price: $1,191.74
  • Sam’s Club Price: $865.00

27 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Wow... even if you paid to join Sam's club for a year that is a HUGE savings...

Wonder how fast that will change?

Can't see Disney leaving that large of a loophole open.

Or, possibly SAMS has X amount purchased from Disney at that price and once they are gone the price will jump.

51 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Or, possibly SAMS has X amount purchased from Disney at that price and once they are gone the price will jump.

Don't know but that would be my bet. 

With UT when there's a price increase, they usually have some number of tix still available at the old price but when they're gone they're gone.

Im still planning on upgrading my military ticket to an AP with the DVC Gold.  Our tiny little 50 point DVC contract has proven to be a good investment with all the perks for the last few years.  I figure since we have two trips this year and it still will save me about $50 bucks vs buying the memory maker both trips.  Plus I'm hoping that since the husband will actually be coming for the first time in 4 years he'll stay at the campsite with the kids and I can go park hopping solo. The thought of being able to do that just makes me giddy. 

4 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Oh, by the way, Sam's Club is now offering Annual Passes at a SIGNIFICANT discount.

http://allears.net/2019/06/22/sams-club-offering-discounts-on-disney-tickets-and-annual-passes/

Wow.  Not in our budget this year... or I might snag a couple of these.   We couldn't afford to stay a the Fort but... the passes would be nice.

9 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Does anyone know whether this is just the Sam's Clubs in the Orlando area, or all Sam's clubs?  I looked online at the Sam's web site and could not find anything on the Disney passes.

If anyone is going to take advantage of the Sam's deal, I'd consider doing it sooner than later.

I'm seeing the info pop up on more and more Disney blog sites, and if it really is a loophole, or there are only a limited # available at this price, they may be gone before you know it.

12 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

If anyone is going to take advantage of the Sam's deal, I'd consider doing it sooner than later.

I'm seeing the info pop up on more and more Disney blog sites, and if it really is a loophole, or there are only a limited # available at this price, they may be gone before you know it.

My feeling is that they previously purchased passes in bulk at a good price from Disney and were passing a slight savings onto their members.

How do these prices compare to pass prices before the big increase?  It's like buying Disney gift cards from the clubs, there was a slight savings.

Now with Disney's new price gouging these prices are a big difference.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

My feeling is that they previously purchased passes in bulk at a good price from Disney and were passing a slight savings onto their members.

How do these prices compare to pass prices before the big increase?  It's like buying Disney gift cards from the clubs, there was a slight savings.

Now with Disney's new price gouging these prices are a big difference.

We renewed are passes last month and the renewal was just over $800. But that’s with the 15% discount for renewing.  I believe the regular price was around $950. 

So they are cheaper through Sam’s then they were before the price hike. 

• 9 months later...
On 6/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, DaveInTN said:

I was curious about something regarding these AP prices, so I dug back into the DIT Vaults to see how much AP prices have increased during the last Decade of a Million Schemes.  

The last time I purchased AP's was in 2009, exactly 10 years ago.  I paid $469 per AP that year.  Taking that $469 and running it through the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Inflation Calculator, results in an Inflation-Adjusted price of $557.  

The equivalent non-FL Resident AP today, the Platinum Pass, is $1,119.  

So, even accounting for inflation, the price of a WDW Annual Pass has more than doubled in the last 10 years.  

When I planned my family's last trip to the Fort late last year, I began really thinking about the ever increasing prices.  I thought about it when I priced out 1 day MK tickets that cost more than an entire season pass at other theme parks.  I certainly thought about it when I booked the Hoop De Doo and paid more on one meal than some families spend on a month of groceries.  Don't misread me...I'm not an anti-capitalist.  Disney is free to charge what the market will bear, and I support that.  But I have stopped viewing the world through Mickey shaped glasses.  For me, I'm out.  Even the thought of booking a Disney vacation right now makes me a bit queasy, like I'm willingly letting someone take advantage of me.

I guess our last trip to the Fort, was our last trip to the Fort.      

Well, I think DIT meant it.  Word is he sold his camper too.  I wonder if Disney will reduce pricing now that not many can afford these prices and many will be too afraid to go into a crowded park?

13 hours ago, YENSIDCAMPER said:

Well, I think DIT meant it.  Word is he sold his camper too.  I wonder if Disney will reduce pricing now that not many can afford these prices and many will be too afraid to go into a crowded park?

I can't imagine Disney ever reducing AP tickets.  Even IF crowds are low (which is a big IF) once the parks reopen, Disney's prices are so high... that the mouse always comes out ahead. 

Yes, the did sell their MOHO.

13 hours ago, YENSIDCAMPER said:

I expect rather than reducing prices, we'll just see a whole bunch of promotional offers being released.  That way they can effectively "reduce" prices for a temporary period of time as they need to - to get people in the parks, heads in beds, seats filled in restaurants - and then as business picks back up, just scale back on the offers and not have to technically "raise" prices on anything. They've done it in the past when things were slow(er) and they needed to boost attendance and sales.  Free dining was one of those offers - for a while it was being put out there regularly to boost the slower times, then things got busier and busier and they scaled it back.  Interesting that it's one of the offers that is apparently already being floated out there now.

The only thing they might do is 15 months for the price of 12 like they did once before.

Also EONS ago, they had "Sponsor a friend AP ". So if you knew someone that had an AP, you could both show up at the ticket window and get an AP at a significant discount.