1976 Video from Fort Wilderness including the TRAIN!

As much as we complain about changes, it’s amazing how some of those pics and areas look like they were filmed yesterday. The castaway MK boat and the smaller ones have not changed along with pioneer hall and the trading post. Great video. Especially the long missed railroad

15 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I wish my kids could ride the train, the tram, swim at the beach, play on the good playgrounds, throw trash into a tree stump trash can, walk the swamp trail, go to RC, etc.....like I did as a kid.

For now I am just happy we can still take our kids to the Fort but all that stuff was very cool, and I do miss it too.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:49 AM, ImDownWithDisney said:

I wish my kids could ride the train, the tram, swim at the beach, play on the good playgrounds, throw trash into a tree stump trash can, walk the swamp trail, go to RC, etc.....like I did as a kid.

My daughter turned 31 today and I am so glad she was able to see River Country a couple of times. She loves the other water parks but River Country will always be a special place. 

On 6/29/2019 at 7:49 AM, ImDownWithDisney said:

I miss the big things (Train, Tram), but I really miss the small things like the stump trash cans, covered wagon, cannons, log benches, petting zoo, peacocks wandering, etc that made the Fort unique.

It's sad that they can spend thousands$$$ on themeing the littlest things at the other resorts, but everything that that made the Fort the Fort has been removed and replaced by items you can find at any municipal park/playground.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure that it's because I am a lifetime railfan, but every time I see videos and pictures of the train, it almost makes me sick.  I long ago gathered up all the spikes that I could see and even had a piece of rail.  I gave a lot of spikes away to other railfans.  

I hear a lot of people lamenting the fact that the train is gone and I am one of them.  I'm sure that nostalgia plays the largest part of that, but couldn't Disney make a hit if they put another train in the Fort?  

Problem is, they would have to have fencing on both sides of the track where ever it went and that probably would kill the deal.  Like Travisma, I also miss the little things that he spoke of.  That brings me to a question that I am sure was answered long ago, but what happened to the totem poles that were in front of the Trading Post?

On 8/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, southernview -- Ray said:

Problem is, they would have to have fencing on both sides of the track where ever it went and that probably would kill the deal.  

Yep.  Very unlikely the legal dept at Disney would let wide open tracks that guests could easily walk right up to/over fly these days.  :(

On 8/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, southernview -- Ray said:

I'm sure that it's because I am a lifetime railfan, but every time I see videos and pictures of the train, it almost makes me sick.  I long ago gathered up all the spikes that I could see and even had a piece of rail.  I gave a lot of spikes away to other railfans.  

I hear a lot of people lamenting the fact that the train is gone and I am one of them.  I'm sure that nostalgia plays the largest part of that, but couldn't Disney make a hit if they put another train in the Fort?  

Problem is, they would have to have fencing on both sides of the track where ever it went and that probably would kill the deal.  Like Travisma, I also miss the little things that he spoke of.  That brings me to a question that I am sure was answered long ago, but what happened to the totem poles that were in front of the Trading Post?

Reading about the history of the Fort Railroad, it seems like they had quite a few maintenance issues with it, but instead of working them out they foolishly abandoned it.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Reading about the history of the Fort Railroad, it seems like they had quite a few maintenance issues with it, but instead of working them out they foolishly abandoned it.

I'd imagine when it started costing money on a regular basis to maintain it, the decision to pull the plug wasn't a hard one.

12 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

It's been gone for like 35 years no?....

Edit....

39 years it's been gone and it only ran for 6....wikipedia FYI

Given those numbers it's amazing the kind of impact it made on people who were lucky enough to experience it back then.  DH still remembers it clearly/fondly and I think he was 5-ish at the time.

16 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Given those numbers it's amazing the kind of impact it made on people who were lucky enough to experience it back then.  DH still remembers it clearly/fondly and I think he was 5-ish at the time.

I remember it, and I was 23 in 77 when we made our first Fort and MK visit.

I stayed at the Fort in  1975 and 1977 when I was 13 and 15.  As an adult I occasionally had a dream where I was on a train and there was a water tower.  It was always a pleasant dream.  A few years ago I watched a video of the train, I think posted here, and realized that was the train/water tower from my dream. So definitely had an impact on me!