We will be towing our truck, 4 wheels down, for the first time when we visit The Fort in August.  Needless to say, my hubby is a little anxious.  We have a 38ft 1994 Newmar diesel and have towed an 8 ft enclosed trailer for many years.  Does anyone have any tips?  Do we need the brake-pro inside the truck?  Thanks for any advice you can give us.  We are traveling with our daughter, son in law, and 4 kids and we would like to make this as uneventful as possible.

4 minutes ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

We will be towing our truck, 4 wheels down, for the first time when we visit The Fort in August.  Needless to say, my hubby is a little anxious.  We have a 38ft 1994 Newmar diesel and have towed an 8 ft enclosed trailer for many years.  Does anyone have any tips?  Do we need the brake-pro inside the truck?  Thanks for any advice you can give us.  We are traveling with our daughter, son in law, and 4 kids and we would like to make this as uneventful as possible.

Check with the manufacturer of the truck.

Different makes and transmissions need to be treated differently.

Sometimes the info is in the owners manual.

So automatics even in neutral can burn up because the tranny pump doesn;t pump if the truck isn't running.

You can't back it up like a trailer so plan ahead when parking or fueling.  I towed a truck 4 down with no issues and for several years had the GC in the bed.

As Mark said it depends on the truck. Most 4-wd can be towed 4 down with no issue since you put the transfer case in neutral. Did you have brakes on the trailer?  I would definitely have a supplemental brake system for the truck, I never towed with out one, better safe than sorry.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if you've headed south yet but good luck on your trip! We used to live in Maryland too until we moved to Florida for good two years ago. Towed our Tahoe down south many times. 

Like was said above, you can't back it up like you could with a trailer so plan accordingly. Don't get yourself into a situation you can't pull straight out of. I've had to unhook twice in our travels. Not something to be proud of, but better safe than sorry! Make sure your vehicle is capable of four down towing. The only place to know for sure is in the manual, and there are instructions in there. 

We're about 65' with the car in tow. When you see semi's and 5ers negotiating tight spaces just remember, you don't bend in the middle. Well, not more than once.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!