RUMOR: New walkway from GF to MK?

From WDWMagic...

Grand Floridian Resort to Magic Kingdom walkway to become a reality?

2 hours ago in "Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa"

A recent permit filing appears to confirm that Disney will be building a walkway from the Grand Floridian Resort to the Magic Kingdom.

The idea of a walkway between the resort and Magic Kingdom has been discussed for years, but this permit seems to confirm it will now happen. Many guests staying at the hotel have wanted the option to be able to walk to the park, and there is an existing path leading from the Magic Kingdom that gets guests very close. Issues relating to waterways, lighting, and guest safety along the route had been though to be preventing the project from being completed.

Unfortunately the permit doesn't offer any additional details or plans. Disney has yet to announce or confirm the walkway.

Article Posted: Jul 11, 2019 / 1:06pm ET

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/news/11jul2019-grand-floridian-resort-to-magic-kingdom-walkway-to-become-a-reality.htm?fbclid=IwAR0FLsqKcLmMRjw5hxqUfp5FrikEXmue_1DRiznhBRD6SSIgNwTc9xb4Jc4

I saw a crane in that area yesterday. If they build it I wonder how they will accommodate the EWP? Or is Lou going to finally get his wish. Maybe I will take the walkway out that way this evening or next week when I am at GF to see if I can see anything first hand.

31 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I saw a crane in that area yesterday. If they build it I wonder how they will accommodate the EWP? Or is Lou going to finally get his wish. Maybe I will take the walkway out that way this evening or next week when I am at GF to see if I can see anything first hand.

My money is on either docking the EWP elsewhere, or putting in a lift bridge like the one in Epcot where the fireworks barges come through.

2 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Please check and see if the smoking area is still on that walkway on the MK side just past the boat dock. The "official" smoking area seems to be towards the bus stops, was just wondering if they removed the one on the path to nowhere.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Please check and see if the smoking area is still on that walkway on the MK side just past the boat dock. The "official" smoking area seems to be towards the bus stops, was just wondering if they removed the one on the path to nowhere.

Didn’t get chance coming in tonight but I will work on that for you. 

16 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

My money is on either docking the EWP elsewhere, or putting in a lift bridge like the one in Epcot where the fireworks barges come through.

I was thinking some type of a drawbridge as well. After all it doesn't have to be opened very often.

24 minutes ago, lightbikes said:

They could just do a bridge like the one from Boardwalk over to the International Gateway. It would have to be higher to allow for the floats but that might be the cheapest solution.

Yeah, they could.  But that's nowhere near as cool as a movable, floating barrel bridge.  :ROFLMAO-1:

31 minutes ago, lightbikes said:

They could just do a bridge like the one from Boardwalk over to the International Gateway. It would have to be higher to allow for the floats but that might be the cheapest solution.

That would have to be pretty high, and to make it easy enough to push a stroller/wheelchair, they would have to make it really long with a gradual rise if the grade.

7 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Yeah, they could.  But that's nowhere near as cool as a movable, floating barrel bridge.  :ROFLMAO-1:

Nope I agree - or a swinging rope bridge like they have for the Animal Kingdom backstage tours over the alligators.

7 hours ago, Travisma said:

That would have to be pretty high, and to make it easy enough to push a stroller/wheelchair, they would have to make it really long with a gradual rise if the grade.

I think the grade over by Boardwalk is pretty good, but yes it would need to be a really long run.

A few pics and a bit more speculation (oh and I do love the Earl theory)...

We took a look on the resort monorail today, as it looks like prep work is already beginning for the bridge across the canal:

pathway-grand-floridian-magic-kingdom-di

These photos are admittedly not the greatest, so it’s probably tough to see the white flags marking what, presumably, will be the new walkway connection.

Prior to that, the existing path is still in place, although it’s no longer accessible from Magic Kingdom due to the Walk Around the World removal work.

electrical-water-pageant-serpent-bay-lak

The downside is that the reason this path has never connected to Grand Floridian is because there’s a canal in between the resort and Magic Kingdom that leads to storage and maintenance facilities for Magic Kingdom’s fleet and floats used in the Electrical Water Pageant.

In order to complete this pathway between Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Magic Kingdom, a bridge over this canal will be necessary. To allow for future (infrequent) maintenance, it’ll need to be a removable bridge of some sort. In order to allow for the daily use of the Electrical Water Pageant, it’ll pretty much need to be drawbridge.

That should raise some red flags. For years, we’ve joked that the only reason Electrical Water Pageant still exists is because the “team” behind it is a dude named Earl who Walt Disney World management forgot was on the payroll 3 decades ago. He hauls it around behind his 1970 Sears fishing boat every night, hoping none of the hotshots wise up.

Or should I say, half-joked. Electrical Water Pageant’s continued existence defies logic in the era of modern Walt Disney World. It wouldn’t surprise me if it flies under management’s radar, and I fear that it only continues to run nightly because it’s cheap. My concern is that any impediment to that “cheapness” could be the demise of Electrical Water Pageant.

electrical-water-pageant-dinosaur-disney

I want to be abundantly clear here: Electrical Water Pageant does not necessarily have to be retired and there is not even a rumor that it will be retired. The bridge here could be a drawbridge or Electrical Water Pageant’s docking location could be moved. This is simply a worry of mine–there are simple solutions to this problem.

With Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary on the horizon, I’d hope that Electrical Water Pageant would be safe for at least the near future. However, so much has been changing these last few years that it being retired doesn’t seem outside the realm of possibilities. I’ll be seeing Electrical Water Pageant a few times this week just in case!

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-world-building-magic-kingdom-to-grand-floridian-walkway/?fbclid=IwAR3MIBxXyB_W-Lp070kxaZkPAm9igZBc__D8LHt8f_7_WEHXJT9dEjKIXgY

On 7/11/2019 at 6:16 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I used my longer camper Allen’s and scanned the walkway. While I do see a bench for seating in one area I do not see any trash cans or other receptacles. If that is where it was I suspect it has been removed.