Did Disney overdo movie remakes ? 8/8 Make it Stop !

Interesting article.

I agree a lot with the writer as far as turning a cartoon movie all about animals into a "live" (CGI) remake.

At least with the previous remakes they were turning cartoon people into real actors/actress's (except for Dumbo).

Did Disney Make a Mistake with Live Action “Lion King”? New Movie Gets a 57 with Critics, Who Call it Cold and Unemotional

The new “Lion King” is visually stunning. So said everyone who saw the movie in Los Angeles at the premiere, and a smattering of critics in New York.

But now the reviews are being published officially, and Jon Favreau’s reboot of the beloved 1994 animated film is being panned. Critics and contributors to Rotten Tomatoes have given it a score of 57. I agree with that number.

The new “Lion King,” I am sorry to say, is grim and dark. It’s not the buoyant celebration of life created for the stage by Julie Taymor, or the vibrant colorful explosion of love seen in the original film.

Instead, this “Lion King” features live lions, cubs, hyenas, mixed with some CGI characters. Caleb Deschanel, coming off his Oscar win for the masterpiece “Never Look Away,” found only grays and blues on this run, and not the buttery yellows, violets, and reds I’ve seen on two trips to southern Africa. Indeed, nothing about “The Lion King” looks African. It looks corporate.

What a strange turn of events for Favreau and company. There was no need to remake “The Lion King” other than to siphon more money. At least with “Aladdin,” Disney could bring the characters to life from animation. But bringing jungle beasts to life is a different story. You can bring a cub to water but you can’t make him drink. Or smile. The result is that “The Lion King” feels like a National Geographic documentary with narration sort of synched to close-ups.

But these beasts aren’t being observed, a la Jean-Jacques Annaud’s “The Bear.” They’re being manipulated to “act.” Some take direction well, others not so much. I suppose in some scenes, when there are stampedes and so on, it’s exciting. But two lions just hanging around not chatting, it’s weird.

Then there’s the music. Since the animals can’t really act, they also can’t be choreographed. The great “Lion King” music is playing, Beyonce and Donald Glover are singing it, but there’s a lifelessness that can’t be ignored. The song that comes off the best is Elton John’s new closer, “Never Too Late,” because it’s over the credits. It doesn’t require watching anyone perform it.

This isn’t to say that “The Lion King” won’t be a hit. It will. People will go– for the brand. They’ll go for Beyonce’s participation. I did find Mufasa’s exit from the story moving, oddly, because James Earl Jones and Chewetel Ejiofor put all of themselves into it. And, of course, Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner make the most of the comic relief characters, Pumaa and Timon.

As for James Earl Jones, just one last word: he is remarkable. A quarter century ago he was Mufasa, and now he’s done it again. He sets up the movie. This is really acting. It’s not just that his deep rumbling baritone is comforting as maple syrup, yet still commanding. Whatever emotions there are in “The Lion King” emanate from him. He’s already received the honorary Oscar and SAG Award. Is there anything we can do for him? We are in awe, and in his debt.

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

I just don't get the whole remake thing unless Disney has become so bereft of creativity that they can't come up with any new ideas for family entertainment. I understood Mary Poppins 2, which we liked as it was a sequel, but the others? 

Seems like all of the studios.. movie and TV have been doing it more often then in the past.

How many remakes do they need of A Star is Born?

US TV has been copying the BBC for years.

Remake something that the customers like or are used to, and they'll shell out the big bucks.

Studios that release DVDs have been doing it for years... "Hey, add 10 minutes of extended scenes on the DVD we released last year and those suckers will purchase it again!"

Now the big thing is re-releasing a movie to the theaters and calling it an anniversary edition 20 or 25 years after the original came out.  Followed up by a DVD re-release.

All media has been going with the cheapest way to make the biggest bucks, and if involves recycling the same old thing they'll do it because the people accept it.

42 minutes ago, keith_h said:

We do that quite a bit or for some of them wait until they show up on one of the streaming services. A movie has to be something special to get us out to the theatre these days.

For a while we were going to the movies every Tuesday.  I joined AMC Stubs and Tuesday tickets were only $5 and they have snack specials too.  Haven’t been in a while.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:47 AM, Travisma said:

For a while we were going to the movies every Tuesday.  I joined AMC Stubs and Tuesday tickets were only $5 and they have snack specials too.  Haven’t been in a while.

The closest traditional movie theatre is about a 20-30 minute drive. If we had the option of $5 close by we would likely go more often.

We have had a theatre in town for a few years now but it is one of those gastro/dine-in types a local restaurateur owns. The typical price is $15 for an evening show. Of course you can get an gourmet hamburger with sides and a local microbrew delivered to your leather recliner but if we wanted to eat out we would go to a restaurant. 

On 7/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, Beckers said:

Honestly the next movie in our radar isn’t Disney. We want to see Dora the explorer.

My boys watched Dora a lot when they were young.  When we saw the preview before Toy Story 4 I told them we were going to see that together. 

The last movie I saw in the theatre was Inside Out.  When I was single and all my funds were mine, I went to the movies at least once a week.  Now it has become a "luxury" instead of a "treat" for a family of 4.  We are very selective and it is usually one parent and one child going.  My DH and DS saw The Incredibles 2 in the theatre last summer and we are on the fence about seeing Toy Story 4.  We have no real interest in seeing films that have already been re-made - especially if the original was done well.  Seems like a waste of money.

2 hours ago, kadancer said:

The last movie I saw in the theatre was Inside Out.  When I was single and all my funds were mine, I went to the movies at least once a week.  Now it has become a "luxury" instead of a "treat" for a family of 4.  We are very selective and it is usually one parent and one child going.  My DH and DS saw The Incredibles 2 in the theatre last summer and we are on the fence about seeing Toy Story 4.  We have no real interest in seeing films that have already been re-made - especially if the original was done well.  Seems like a waste of money.

If you have the AMC chain near you, they have $5.00 Tuesdays.  Not sure if you have to be a Stubs Premier member (I am) to get that price.

$20 for a family of 4 is a lot better than the usual $50 +

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

If you have the AMC chain near you, they have $5.00 Tuesdays.  Not sure if you have to be a Stubs Premier member (I am) to get that price.

$20 for a family of 4 is a lot better than the usual $50 +

That is a much better price.  Unfortunately, Regal is our local cinema, but I think there is an AMC down I95 at bit.  I will check that out.  Thanks.

40 minutes ago, kadancer said:

That is a much better price.  Unfortunately, Regal is our local cinema, but I think there is an AMC down I95 at bit.  I will check that out.  Thanks.

If you have T Mobile, they have ATOM specials every once in a while, $5 off tickets and no added fees.

Regal has a crown club, not sure what they offer.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

If you have T Mobile, they have ATOM specials every once in a while, $5 off tickets and no added fees.

Regal has a crown club, not sure what they offer.

We have the Regal Crown Club and I have yet to figure out what it actually offers.  Nothing really in the way of discounts.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/first-look-see-the-canine-cast-starring-in-the-live-action-lady-and-the-tramp-remake/ar-AAFwAky?ocid=ientp

First Look: See the Canine Cast Starring in the Live-Action Lady and the Tramp Remake

Disney is releasing a live-action remake of Lady and the Tramp — the 1955 film all about true puppy love. The new take on the animated classic will premiere Nov. 12, only on Disney’s new streaming service Disney+.

PEOPLE has a first look at the real life rescue dogs that make up this new film’s cuddly cast and the celebrities who are giving these canines a voice.

Get a peek at what your favorite Lady and the Tramp pooch looks like in real life, and the star who will bring them to life, ahead of the remake’s November premiere by reading on below.