Is the water available at the campsites ok to use for drinking water or does it need purified first?  If it needs purified, what would you suggest using to purify it with?  I am mainly needing it for filling my water bottle in the morning before I head to the parks, not so much for cooking.  I will be tent camping.

All depends upon how sensitive your body is to drinking water other than what you have at home. Disney World/Orlando water is well known to be the culprit causing what is known as the "Disney Trots". The water smells of sulfur and has a strong aftertaste. It can be pretty harsh for some people and ruins many a vacation. I'm one of those people that can't tolerate it and as a result I simply rely on bottled water to drink. I have even had issues with the drinking fountains in the parks. You can get a cup of filtered ice water at any quick service counter in the parks but local laws do not allow them to refill your bottle. Although I've heard at the Pandora Na'vi River ride in Animal Kingdom they now have the first filtered water bottle refill station so hopefully they will continue to place them throughout the parks. I've never tried using a filter but I'm sure others may be able to give you advice on that. Your question should cause quite a conversation as the quality of the water at DW gets discussed a lot but that alone should be your clue that it is definitely something to ponder. If you don't have any issues when you travel drinking " different" water then you'll probably be OK but if your like me and have a low tolerance stick to bottled water. Enjoy your visit!

We use an inline filter that attaches directly to the water hookup at the site and it does a good job of cleaning up the water for the camper.  It is the Camco blue cartridge available at Wally World.

2 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

We use an inline filter that attaches directly to the water hookup at the site and it does a good job of cleaning up the water for the camper.  It is the Camco blue cartridge available at Wally World.

Ditto.  It makes the Fort water "fine" for teeth brushing and cooking (as in, doesn't taste too terrible), but I still used bottled water to drink/make coffee with.

4 hours ago, brad81380 said:

Is the water available at the campsites ok to use for drinking water or does it need purified first?  If it needs purified, what would you suggest using to purify it with?  I am mainly needing it for filling my water bottle in the morning before I head to the parks, not so much for cooking.  I will be tent camping.

If you just want to fill a water bottle, use the water fountain in the comfort station laundry room - the water is chilled and filtered. 

TCD

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you just want to fill a water bottle, use the water fountain in the comfort station laundry room - the water is chilled and filtered. 

TCD

Or if your taking the boat to the MK stop at Trails End, there's a water tap on the coke dispenser.

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Still tastes awful though. Personal opinion of course. 

It's an acquired taste. 

But still better than what comes out of the hose bib at the campsites. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Or if your taking the boat to the MK stop at Trails End, there's a water tap on the coke dispenser.

Correct. Also at the drink dispenser at the Meadow pool. 

TCD

Guess I've lived in Florida too long, the water tastes OK to me.  But I do notice different tastes in water from other places and just drink them anyway. 

Even the water on the cruise lines is  fine to drink.  I was told that water is processed sea water, true or not, I don't know.

57 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Even the water on the cruise lines is  fine to drink.  I was told that water is processed sea water, true or not, I don't know.

On DCL when they're in port you usually see them taking on potable water, probably the same for most cruise lines. 

I have found that the pool water is pretty good.  Add a little iced tea mix if you like.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:21 AM, ftwildernessguy said:

Not sure an online filter would do me much good, considering I am tent camping.

7 minutes ago, brad81380 said:

Not sure an online filter would do me much good, considering I am tent camping.

Yeah it will work.  It just screws to the faucet at the site.  You could just fill your container directly from the filter.

Ok....got ya.  I have a lot of 4am and 5am mornings planned, with the Galaxy's Edge opening and all, so I figure brew my morning tea overnight as cold brew, have it ready to go in the morning.  Once I am in the parks I can just get ice water at the restaurants, or the new fangled fill stations, and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I never had a problem with the water from the Fort. Tastes pretty good in fact (to us anyway). I use it for cooking, making ice, etc. The only water that I can distinctly remember as being bad is at the Magic Kingdom. The water out of the fountains is definitely sulfur tasting. As far as "Florida Water" being bad, just like anything else it depends on where you're at. Jacksonville was horrible. We live 30 minutes from the gate off of I-4 and we love our water. It really depends on how you tolerate it. As far as being potable, the water from the bib is fine.