Old Fashioned Cobbler

I have always wanted to make this.  I am going to have to wait until this stinkin diet is over, lol.

https://thestayathomechef.com/old-fashioned-cobbler/?fbclid=IwAR18dqpDYxxQSTCTZhBaIzfmXVJj2JX6LZzIP_V5a0EKBeaInIrt2RmPRJw

Old fashioned cobbler, made from scratch, is easier to make than you might think. 10 minutes of prep and you'll have the best cobbler of your life!

pinit_fg_en_rect_red_20.png

Old fashioned cobbler, made from scratch, is easier to make than you might think. 10 minutes of prep and you’ll have the best cobbler of your life!

I used to think that I didn’t like cobbler. Turns out I just don’t like cobbler made with cake mixes. Old fashioned cobbler made from scratch? It’s amazing! Every time I make it I can’t help but think, “Dang! I make the best cobbler!” It’s really easy to make too. For the topping, you can choose to be truly old fashioned and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter in, or you can add a little modern convenience to this recipe and pulse it together in a food processor. I won’t judge you either way, but let me tell you, the food processor is so much easier. You can cut down the prep time to 5 minutes that way. You can use this same recipe with any fruit really. Just substitute in 3 pounds of the fresh fruit of your choice. Just make sure it’s prepared first (peeled, sliced, pitted, whatever it needs).

MY OTHER RECIPES

Seriously, it’s so easy to make! Don’t believe me? Watch the video below where I walk you through every step on my very own cooking show. Check out my channel on YouTube and be sure to subscribe!

HOW TO MAKE OLD FASHIONED HOMEMADE COBBLER

Old fashioned cobbler, made from scratch, is easier to make than you might think. 10 minutes of prep and you'll have the best cobbler of your life!

How to Make Old Fashioned Berry Cobbler

Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins

Print  Pin  Rate

Servings: 8 Servings

Ingredients

• 3 pounds fresh berries cleaned and sliced
  • 1 lemon zested and juiced
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup cold butter diced
  • 1 cup half and half

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  • In a medium-size mixing bowl, toss berries with lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, vanilla, and white sugar. Spread them out in the 9×13 pan.
  • In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until it resembles a course meal, or pulse the whole thing together in a food processor.
  • Pour in half and half and stir to form a thick batter.
  • Scoop the batter in large clumps on top of the berries to form a nice cobbler crust.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.

Nutrition

Calories: 435kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 41mg| Sodium: 408mg | Potassium: 373mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 11.1% | Vitamin 😄 29% | Calcium: 11.9% | Iron: 11.8%
Course: Dessert

Love cobbler, but have never tried to make it.  Once worked at a dinner theatre where the only night the cast showed up early for dinner was on Sunday night because the chef made homemade cobbler.  It was amazing.

Calorie count does hurt though....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Our apple tree has been EXTREMELY prolific this summer. Enjoy our favorite Apple Crisp and Apple Butter recipes below. 

Apple Crisp:

(4 servings, can be doubled)

6 apples - peeled, cored and sliced*

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup quick oats

3/4 cup AP flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup cold butter

1. Preheat oven to 35 degrees.

2. Toss apples with sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon to coat; pour in to 9" square pan (if doubling recipe, use 9x13 pan).

3. Mix brown sugar, oats, flour, and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon in a separate bowl. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to mash butter into the oats mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Spread over the apples to the edges of the baking dish. Pat the topping gently until even coverage.

4. Bake in preheated oven until sides are bubbling, about 40 minutes.

- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. 

Instant Pot Apple Butter:

Yield: 3-4 pints

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup apple cider (NOT apple juice)

1/2 tsp ground allspice

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 whole cinnamon sticks

5-6 lbs (or more) apples*

1. Add all ingredients to IP insert except apples and cinnamon sticks.

2. Core and slice unpeeled apples into 6-8 pieces and add to bowl. Add enough apples to fill IP insert to "MAX" line.

3. Pat down well. Stick cinnamon sticks down into apples.

4. Cover IP and turn vent to "Sealing". Set IP to "Manual" for 8 minutes at High. When cycle is complete, let pressure release naturally for 15-20 minutes and then manually release remaining pressure.

5. Take off lid and carefully remove cinnamon sticks from apples.

6. Use an immersion blender until mixture becomes smooth, You can also use a food processor or blender, in batches. Be sure not to fill blender more than half full. Add blended mixture back to IP.

7. Turn IP to sauté and push the 'adjust' button to LESS'. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened to desired consistency.

8. Turn off IP and let cool . Store in an airtight container and refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months. 

* Our apple tree is a Macoun, which is awesome for both of these recipes, but you can use whatever type you like.