February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

So let's see if Chris really did increase the photo limit . . .

Continuing on with our report, it is still early in the morning on Saturday, February 12, 2011.

These folks were set up on the last site in the 100 loop. They have been on this site for a while. I remember their whimsical signs reminding us to Dream, Relax, Imagine, and Giggle. I appreciate the reminder. I need to do more of all four of those things:

100_8993.jpg

While I was there, I tried to Dream, Relax, Imagine and Giggle all at the same time. Not an easy thing to do. As I think about it, some of these things are contradictory. These folks must be some kind of troublemakers.

Some of you may be thinking: how do I know that this report is being written by the real TCD, and not be some clever and very talented imposter.

I’ll tell you how.

Here’s a photo of something only TCD would know.

It’s my favorite campsite!

That’s right.

Good old 617!

In all of its glory!:

100_8994.jpg

While I was in the area, I headed over to the footbridge for a look around.

It’s another of my favorite places in the Fort.

Here’s the famous theater under the stars:

100_8995.jpg

And, a look across the lake at the Meadow Trading Post:

100_8996.jpg

And now we look the other way down the canal between the 600 and 1400 loops:

100_8997.jpg

As I headed back from the bridge, something about this site caught my eye.

What the heck is going on here?

100_8999.jpg

What is that on the big tripod?

A communication device to reach the mother ship?

And what is this?:

100_89991.jpg

And what is with all of these baskets?:

100_89992.jpg

And then there is this “lady”:

100_89993.jpg

What is she doing sitting out here on her porch when the sun has barely risen?

Is she real?

Is she alive?

Has anyone seen the movie Psycho?

What about the new TV show Mounted in Alaska?

That’s all I am saying about that.

I got out of there quick.

But, I got a few more shots of site 617 for your viewing pleasure:

100_9000.jpg

100_9001.jpg

100_9002.jpg

That grill is looking sweet!

By this time it was time to refuel. So, that means a visit to the Meadow Trading Post for some more coffee.

The huge sycamore tree out back has finally succumbed to Mother Nature’s call to go dormant for the winter:

100_9004.jpg

While I was out back admiring the majestic sycamore, I noticed that there was a board missing in the fence behind the Trading Post. So, I must take a look. Right?

Of course!

And, I’m sure at least a couple of you are curious about what’ s back there.

Well, it pretty much looks like this:

100_9006.jpg

100_9007.jpg

100_9008.jpg

Ho hum.

Here we are looking at the back porch to the Meadow Trading Post:

100_9009.jpg

And, this is looking toward the little dock behind the Trading Post:

100_9010.jpg

There is the Bike Barn across the lake:

100_9011.jpg

And, when is the last time you have seen a photo of Bear Rock?

Well, here you go:

100_9014.jpg

Looking good there Bear Rock!

From here, we will head out to the 1700 loop, where these folks have decorated for Valentine’s Day:

100_9016.jpg

100_9018.jpg

These wooden critters may look familiar to you. They should. They were there at Halloween, and then again at Christmas. These folks have been on this site all that time. And, they come back year after year.

Lucky.

These folks have their own topiary:

100_9019.jpg

I think that makes 25 photos.

I am working my way up to a 30 photo post.

So, what’s next?

What do you think?

More photos!

From Saturday morning.

There is still a lot more exploring to do.

So be sure to check back!

TCD

I'm with you.. 2000 loop is where my savages belong.. Of course, they have enough sense not to run through the middle of someone's site or shine a flash light in a sleeping person face.. those offenses should be punishable by death.. :argh: ok, I'm better.. but they do enjoy the other kids.

Judy Don't listen to him! He is not boring at all, he's like a little teddy bear!

TCD, I'm so happy you're back with your amazing trip reports! Nobody does it like you! sFun_dancing.gif Can't wait to run into you again (Figuratively, not literally! :) )

Welcome TCD. Glad to have you over here. I still post some over there. They need the help. And there are some over there who were not privy to the great separation. We'll be at the Fort in July and December. Hope to see you there.

Hey, Ken! Glad to see you over here. I'm not sure why anyone would want to go over there. Here is where it is at! Maybe I will get to meet you later this year.

It's good to see you back TCD!! I'm on my way out the door to Atlanta for the weekend. Hopefully I'll have time to check in over the weekend. If not, it will be Monday. I guess if I've made it since January without a TCD TR, I can make it 'till Monday. :dance:

Hello Olivia!

How are things?

I'm glad to see you here.

Too bad you have to wait until Monday.

When you get back and caught up, we will need to discuss some Tennessee and Florida football.

TCD

Judy Don't listen to him! He is not boring at all, he's like a little teddy bear!

TCD, I'm so happy you're back with your amazing trip reports! Nobody does it like you! sFun_dancing.gif Can't wait to run into you again (Figuratively, not literally! :) )

Okay first it was gorgeous Donnie, then Total Joker with his great bear hugs. Now TCD is a teddy bear What the heck you doing, starting a collection :rofl2:

Well, it seems as if we are getting off to a bit of a slow start here.

Because it is still Saturday morning.

And we are still out exploring.

It was very cold at night over this weekend. It was in the low 30’s when I woke up.

The TCD twins were still fast asleep in the warm camper when I checked back on them.

All was quiet at the campsite:

100_9020.jpg

Please note that I have attempted to assualt every tree in my site with a piece of rope.

I hope that all of you clothesline fans appreciate the effort!

This mob of girls was engaged in a loud and boisterous jump-rope competition:

100_9023.jpg

As a father of three daughters, I have heard my share of loud and boisterous jump-rope competitions.

For some odd reason, I wasn't really in the mood to listend to that so early in the morning.

I cancelled my plans of enjoying a moment of solitude at the campsite.

Instead, I decided to take a stroll.

I like to do that.

You can see a lot looping around the Fort on a golf cart.

But, you also miss a lot.

And, there are lots of places you just can’t go.

So, we will do some exploring by foot.

We start out here, behind our site, along the banks of the babbling brook which is the back boundary of the sites here on the 2000 loop:

100_9024.jpg

OK, there is no babbling.

And no brook.

It’s just a clogged up drainage canal.

But, that doesn’t sound very nice now, does it?

Before we leave, take a look at this:

100_9021.jpg

That is my genuine FW horseshoe! Given to me by the blacksmith when I last camped right here on site 2009 back on New Year’s Day in 2009. Funny, isn’t it?

OK, not really.

Let’s move on.

Here, we head out walking along the canal:

100_9026.jpg

Notice that Jack Frost has taken his toll on the plant life at the Fort.

A lot of stuff is brown and dead-looking. But, that will all change come spring.

Here we are looking back toward site 2009:

100_9027.jpg

And now we are looking back again. You can see the TCD pop-up camper right in the center of these photos:

100_9028.jpg

100_9029.jpg

In this photo, we have continued to walk along the canal as it curves just a bit. Looking back toward the TCD site, you can still see the TCD camper near the center of each of this photo:

100_9030.jpg

It is here that we find a primitive bridge built by ancient visitors to this place:

100_9031.jpg

It is a simple thing to cross the ditch here, and, just like that, we are now on the other side of the babbling brook- err- I mean ditch, and looking back at the 2000 loop from across the way:

100_9032.jpg

In case you are disoriented, the cabins that you see in these photos are in the 2100 loop.

From here, we can walk easily between a couple of the sites on the 1100 loop:

100_9033.jpg

And, just like that, we are now standing in front of site 1103:

100_9034.jpg

These campers have posted a sign. Is it a friendly greeting to those walking by?:

100_9035.jpg

Not so much.

I wonder what this is all about?

1100 isn’t even a pet loop.

So why the sign?

We will leave the mystery of the NO DOGS sign for another day.

Because we need to move along.

I am heading toward the Meadow Trading Post.

So I can tell y’all how short of a walk it is.

I am timing myself.

So I can let you know.

Here we are leaving the 1100 loop, looking across the street at the 1300 loop:

100_9036.jpg

I love walking or biking along this sidewalk. It runs through the woods here toward the Meadow Trading Post:

100_9037.jpg

Do you know why?

Because it is built right on top of the old Fort Wilderness Rail Road tracks.

Want to know how you can tell?

Look along the sides of the sidewalk here:

100_9038.jpg

And here (we are now looking back toward the 1300 loop) :

100_9039.jpg

Do you see all those little rocks?

Do you know what those are?

There is a name for them.

It’s called ballast.

It’s what they use to form a bed for railroad ties when they build railroad tracks.

You can see a lot of old ballast all along this sidewalk. In these photos, we are looking toward the Meadow Trading Post. You can see the bridge which crosses over to the pool area in the background:

100_9040.jpg

100_9041.jpg

It took me less than 10 minutes to walk from the 2000 loop to here.

And it was easy.

I got another cup of coffee, and headed back to the 2000 loop a different way.

I planned on timing the walk back, so I could tell you which way is quicker.

And I re-set the timer on my watch to do so.

But, I will tell you right now that I forgot to look at it when I got back to my site.

So much for that little experiment.

But, no big deal.

Either way works.

On the way back, I headed toward the 900 loop.

Here we are in the entrance to the 900 loop, looking back toward the Meadow Trading Post:

100_9043.jpg

100_9044.jpg

From here, I will be heading to the footbridge in the back of the 900 loop, and crossing in to the group camping area.

But, you will have to wait for the next post to see those photos.

TCD

Okay first it was gorgeous Donnie, then Total Joker with his great bear hugs. Now TCD is a teddy bear What the heck you doing, starting a collection :rofl2:

I speak only the truth! :usa:

1. First.....Magicbus is ADORABLE!!! (he was my first....FIEND!)

2. TCD is like a teddy bear, sweet and squeezable

3. Donnie MADE me love him with the JJ shirt

4. TJ gave me the best hug I've had in a long time, and you're just jealous!!! :raspberry:

:mademyday:

Welcome home!

Like others I was usually a lurker at the other place. Here I mostly post pics. I do remember your farewell post before it was deleted...it was a real "masterpiece"! :)) Looking forward to more TCD (and Yuri) trip reports.

It's about darn time you got yourself over here, sonny boy!!! :argh:

1103 are friends of ours. They aren't too keen on dogs and on rare occasions this past winter, pet people were assigned to 1100.

Or maybe they didn't admit to having a pet with them.

Nevertheless, some dogs left little presents at site 1103.

The parents of the dogs didn't bother to gift wrap them.

HOWDY!!! Welcome Home! ;)

:welcrowd: :yourock: :bravo:

Glad to see that you have arrived I for one missed your trip reports, we do not get to the Fort as much as I would like to so reading your trip reports with all the pictures helps to fill the void. Thanks to you and all that post reports just wish we coulod be there more.

I won't bother introducing myself. You might remember who I am. Then again you might not. I went down in the first flush but not before I had the honor of reading your farewell speech. A masterpiece! (Only rivaled by FW Guy's farewell)

Glad to finally get a TCD TR fix! I love the Jesus Deer. Go Feisty! The Shrek decor is fab! Looking forward to the rest of the report!

Thanks for doing a TR! Looking forward to the pics and the cool "little things" that you always notice!

I assume we are going to get a Dole Whip lesson at some point?

:popcorn:

Woo - Hoo.....with a capital WOO and a capital HOO. The man is back from a self imposed hiatus.

You probably don't remember me from the old site, but it wasn't the same without your content. As someone earlier posted, "your TRs make me feel like I'm there." While I didn't get flushed, I got my hands slapped at the old place. I missed yours and FWGuy's farewell addresses (which bums me out quite a bit - I bet they were dousy's).

Here's to the possible return of the "TCD Real Men of Genius" candidates. :banana:

Glad you're back Dude!

Woo - Hoo.....with a capital WOO and a capital HOO. The man is back from a self imposed hiatus.

You probably don't remember me from the old site, but it wasn't the same without your content. As someone earlier posted, "your TRs make me feel like I'm there." While I didn't get flushed, I got my hands slapped at the old place. I missed yours and FWGuy's farewell addresses (which bums me out quite a bit - I bet they were dousy's).

Here's to the possible return of the "TCD Real Men of Genius" candidates. :banana:

Glad you're back Dude!

Second all of that. And also looking forward to the TCD RMoG Awards. Always brings a smile to my day. :)

:) :) :) :) :)

Your first TCD report?

What rock were you hiding under?

TCD

I joined voldermort right before the flush happened, so this is actually my first "live as written" report. The old ones don't have the cliffhanger aspect like this one does, I can just see what happens and don't have to wait. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Norm

:mademyday:

Welcome home!

Like others I was usually a lurker at the other place. Here I mostly post pics. I do remember your farewell post before it was deleted...it was a real "masterpiece"! :)) Looking forward to more TCD (and Yuri) trip reports.

Well, Thanks.

I am glad some folks got to see my farewell post.

And, I am looking forward to more TCD trip reports too!

Yuri, not so much.

It's about darn time you got yourself over here, sonny boy!!! :argh:

1103 are friends of ours. They aren't too keen on dogs and on rare occasions this past winter, pet people were assigned to 1100.

Or maybe they didn't admit to having a pet with them.

Nevertheless, some dogs left little presents at site 1103.

The parents of the dogs didn't bother to gift wrap them.

HOWDY!!! Welcome Home! ;)

Hello Deb!

You will be getting a shout-out in just a bit in this report.

This is the trip where I stopped by for a little visit when you were talking to the Mayor.

:welcrowd: :yourock: :bravo:

Glad to see that you have arrived I for one missed your trip reports, we do not get to the Fort as much as I would like to so reading your trip reports with all the pictures helps to fill the void. Thanks to you and all that post reports just wish we coulod be there more.

Thanks.

Man, you got some fancy smileys there, don't ya?

TCD