February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

Here's how it will work:

Put out your FortFiends sign when you are the Fort. If the Spike Fairy sees it, you may find a genuine FWRR spike at your site. It happened to Stefa70, and it could happen to you!

TCD

Hello TCD ........ As always, I am loving your trip report!

'WOW' ........... Sharing a part of Fort Wilderness history with other folks / fiends that also love the Fort! It doesn't get much better than that!

Many of us have known this for a while and now I am sure the newer 'fort fiends' see it as well ..........."You are a real class guy"!

Thanks for all you do to share your love of the Fort with all of us!

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

Andrew, as I was reading along, I was thinking to myself, man, I have a nice big prybar, I would be snagging me a couple of those spikes!!! Then I see you got them all LOL. WAY COOL, I love it! I may bring a machete and my prybar and see if you missed any next time I am there.

You asked about my health stuff. Well if you got a minute, here we go. I had weight loss surgery last April, so I could then have my open heart surgery to repair my bad aortic valve and 6 cm thoracic aortic aneurysm. With the weight loss surgery, and had a pretty rough time with it, I ended up getting out then going right back in a week later to spend a week in the ICU with a pretty bad bleed. But all is well, I have lost 235 lbs so far, a few more to go... LOL Then back in Jan of this year, I finally had my open heart surgery, it went GREAT. I was out of the hospital in 5 days, and have been doing my cardiac rehab for a couple months now, and I am doing awesome. Believe it or not the open heart was lots easier than the weight loss surgery.

So glad to see your reports, you really need to write books, you are very good at it. Keep it up!

TCD, only you can make tons of pictures of weeds really, really cool. Of course it is because you go that extra mile and look under the surface of what most of us see. I love to see the Fort through your eyes!

Very cool TR and amazingly cool of you to share your treasure with fellow Fiends! :waycool:

Even if you're out of nails by then, I hope we'll get to see you at Halloween this year. We're on the 2nd year of our annual pass cycle so will be there a little earlier this year than usual. I'll be looking forward to seeing what Rocky will be dressed up like this year!

It's actually looking like quite the gang of Fiends will be gathering at the Fort for Halloween. There's a thread around here somewhere with a list of everyone planning to be there... and it's pretty lengthy. As if Halloween wasn't scary enough...

8_1_225%5B1%5D.gif

Awesome updates! I tried logging on at work today - but they have blocked pretty much everything, including pics and avatars and smileys... so not much fun. Got to catch up tonight. I was so excited when I got to the pics of the double-rails - how cool!!! Love the can collection. Remember that Country Time jingle... "Tastes like that good old fashioned lemonaaaaaaade" Yes you can still get it in cans. You can actually get Country Time Light in cans, believe it or not. Strangely enough, it feels funny drinking lemonade out of a can now, though. I guess I'm too used to bottles.

I'm with you on the litterers. Where do they think it goes? It's not like pitching an apple core. An animal will eat that.

Really cool rail spikes. Good idea saving them for the future grands - they will SO love that!

Join the fun, Halloween 2011 will be great!! We haven't been back to the fort since Halloween '08. Looking forward to meeting so many fiends!! Meeting up with TCD too would be wonderful.

It was because of one of you TR long ago that my girls and I woke very early one morning to make it to the stables. The girls went in their PJs. We got to see so much of the prep and care for the horses. We had a great morning!

Thanks for the video link of the train. Brought back wonderful memories of camping at the Fort when I was a kid.

So enjoying your TR!! :heart:

Ouch.

You provided a link to RV.net, huh?? :rofl2:

I guess it is some kind of game because I got 100 points :banana:

"This infraction is worth 100 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire."

So at least they have provided some joy and happiness over here.:dance:

Thanks. You won't have to wait much longer to read more.

I don't remember those at all.

Sounds like a bad plan.

But, thank goodness someone invented pull tops.

I sure would hate to have to carry a church key around everywhere.

I think we have one in our house somewhere, too.

But, I doubt if any of my kids would have a clue on how to use it.

Thanks for posting.

I see you are new around here, too.

Were you a member of another Fort Wilderness Discussion Board, or are you a new newbie?

TCD

I was a member but was just a lurker. Never really have any good information to share :-) We are still new to camping and the Fort so I love seeing the photos and hearing all the stories. Keeps me going until we can get back there. Thanks!

NORTHERN PIONEERS

Hi TCD! I'll step forward and admit that my DH and I are members of the Northern Pioneers. Most of us, but not all are northern snowbirds. Our group was formed out of our love to stay at the fort and desperation to be able to afford it. In 2011 our group had 77 sites reserved for a minimum stay of 30 nights...with a maximum stay of 90 nights from January 2 through April 1, 2011. Most of our members do prefer the quietness of the full hookup sites but there are some of us that like being in the preferred & premium loops. We have a great "leader" who negotiates with Disney so that we can stay at our second "home".

Susan

Hello Susan.

Good to see you on here.

You started one of my favorite threads back in the day (In case anyone doesn't remember it was drafthorsecrazy who started the great "Something is Happening at the Pool" thread).

Thanks for the info on the Northern Pioneers.

It sounds like the ringleader of this group is a smart man.

Maybe someday I can be a Northern Pioneer too.

And NOW we see how to get to 5,000 in a few months... double posts, lots of em!

TCD, I am blown away that you have given away so many spikes! I thought I was hot stuff crawling through a wall of brambles to find two, and here you're giving them out like cookies and milk! Serious props, my friend!

ShantaClausSm.png

Shannon- You of all people know that it is better to give than to receive. What am I going to do with a bunch of giant rusty nails, anyway? I'm happy to recycle them!

Love the spikes me and my Dad have always loved trains. How long did it take you to go through all that brush?

Good question. I didn't time myself, but it was less than an hour. It isn't that great of a distance, but it is slow going.

I think it's great thing the spike fairy I love it just wish we were not so far away that I could get one. I liked your refrence about Take Me to EPCOT at first he seemed harsh but I got to like his style quickly and aslo enjoyed his TR at the other place, will he be joing us here or has he already under another alias. Love your trip report as always.

As far as I know Mr. and Mrs. Troll have not yet joined this site.

But, I would be wiling to bet that Norm is reading along.

And, if you are, Norm, thanks for reading, and I hope to see you around the Fort soon.

And, if you want, why don't we have dueling trip reports?

You do a great job.

Maybe you can set the new readership mark!

I usually don't ask for anything but ME ME ME PLEASE PLEASE :banana:

Lorna-

Please.

You are already on my special list.

In fact, I'll give you a couple of spikes.

You and Richie did me a big favor at the Fort last Thanksgiving, and I haven't forgotten that.

So, no begging required.

TCD

Hello TCD ........ As always, I am loving your trip report!

'WOW' ........... Sharing a part of Fort Wilderness history with other folks / fiends that also love the Fort! It doesn't get much better than that!

Many of us have known this for a while and now I am sure the newer 'fort fiends' see it as well ..........."You are a real class guy"!

Thanks for all you do to share your love of the Fort with all of us!

Thanks for the kind words.

And be sure to keep reading.

This was a three day trip to the Fort, and we are still on day one!

Andrew, as I was reading along, I was thinking to myself, man, I have a nice big prybar, I would be snagging me a couple of those spikes!!! Then I see you got them all LOL. WAY COOL, I love it! I may bring a machete and my prybar and see if you missed any next time I am there.

You asked about my health stuff. . .

So glad to see your reports, you really need to write books, you are very good at it. Keep it up!

John- I had no idea that you have gone through so much medical treatment. I'm glad to hear that you have made so much progress.

Should we find ourselves at the Fort together in the future, you've got a deal on the spike hunting excursion!

TCD, only you can make tons of pictures of weeds really, really cool. Of course it is because you go that extra mile and look under the surface of what most of us see. I love to see the Fort through your eyes!

Thanks, VCL.

You are too kind!

Very cool TR and amazingly cool of you to share your treasure with fellow Fiends! :waycool:

Even if you're out of nails by then, I hope we'll get to see you at Halloween this year. We're on the 2nd year of our annual pass cycle so will be there a little earlier this year than usual. I'll be looking forward to seeing what Rocky will be dressed up like this year!

It's actually looking like quite the gang of Fiends will be gathering at the Fort for Halloween. There's a thread around here somewhere with a list of everyone planning to be there... and it's pretty lengthy. As if Halloween wasn't scary enough...

Monique- I will make sure to set aside a spike for you. It will be great to see you at the Fort again.

Watching the video brings back memories of my brother and I riding the train. Of course there was the time we never got off and our dad was waiting at the station for us! Fun times! :dance:

Lucky!

I never got to ride the train.

And, I love the little story about the train arriving with you and your brother missing.

That was before cell phones.

What did your dad do when the train arrived without you?

TCD

Awesome updates! I tried logging on at work today - but they have blocked pretty much everything, including pics and avatars and smileys... so not much fun. Got to catch up tonight. I was so excited when I got to the pics of the double-rails - how cool!!! Love the can collection. Remember that Country Time jingle... "Tastes like that good old fashioned lemonaaaaaaade" Yes you can still get it in cans. You can actually get Country Time Light in cans, believe it or not. Strangely enough, it feels funny drinking lemonade out of a can now, though. I guess I'm too used to bottles.

I'm with you on the litterers. Where do they think it goes? It's not like pitching an apple core. An animal will eat that.

Really cool rail spikes. Good idea saving them for the future grands - they will SO love that!

Thanks.

And, FYI, the Spike Fairy visits cabins, too.

You never know.

Once again TCD you have out did your self, in your trip report and your story telling abilities.

Awesome.

On a side note I am now banned forever for "Linking to a hostile site":popo:. I was just trying to tell ever one that TCD is alive and will, their loss.

Great find on the rails.:dance:

Really?

Hostile?

That is so ridiculous!

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Thanks for spreading the word!

WOW !!!

Not sure how I missed seeing this thread earlier, but it just took over 2 hours (more or less) to read through all 11 pages!

Can't wait for the next 11! :blink:

Two Hours/

Boy, is this report getting long-winded or what?

Thank you for your dedication!

Ouch.

You provided a link to RV.net, huh?? :rofl2:

Now, that is a hostile site!

Join the fun, Halloween 2011 will be great!! We haven't been back to the fort since Halloween '08. Looking forward to meeting so many fiends!! Meeting up with TCD too would be wonderful.

It was because of one of you TR long ago that my girls and I woke very early one morning to make it to the stables. The girls went in their PJs. We got to see so much of the prep and care for the horses. We had a great morning!

Thanks for the video link of the train. Brought back wonderful memories of camping at the Fort when I was a kid.

So enjoying your TR!! :heart:

Thanks for letting me know that.

It means a lot to me when I hear that someone was inspired by one of my reports and had a great experience as a result.

TCD

Once again TCD you have out did your self, in your trip report and your story telling abilities.

Awesome.

On a side note I am now banned forever for "Linking to a hostile site":popo:. I was just trying to tell ever one that TCD is alive and will, their loss.

Great find on the rails.:dance:

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of theirs, so I do not need to feel any sort of hostility to people who post links to their site.

But if they want to continue driving people our way while also reducing their own population, well, I certainly can't complain about that. In fact, I thank them for the extra traffic. It's like it says in my sig:

I guess it is some kind of game because I got 100 points :banana:

"This infraction is worth 100 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire."

So at least they have provided some joy and happiness over here.:dance:

I got in trouble there a few weeks ago for posting a cryptic message in a private message that told someone where to find us. Apparently, they were an undercover spy. The funny thing is, I lost my private message priveledges, so they can't tell me because I can't received private messages!

Every time I go there these days, my computer takes waaay too long to download the site so i give up. I think God is trying to tell me to just stay where I am. :heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ZT5sajkys

Lucky!

And, I love the little story about the train arriving with you and your brother missing.

TCD

Oh we never got off the train, we kept looping around the campground. Dad waited at the station till the train came back around and pulled us off! We told him that we could not remember where to get off! Dad was not amused! I think we were leaving for home that morning. :rofl2:

I got in trouble there a few weeks ago for posting a cryptic message in a private message that told someone where to find us. Apparently, they were an undercover spy. The funny thing is, I lost my private message priveledges, so they can't tell me because I can't received private messages!

Every time I go there these days, my computer takes waaay too long to download the site so i give up. I think God is trying to tell me to just stay where I am.

Ya know Marty, it is sometimes difficult to know for sure what God's wishes for us are. I'm not going to begin to guess. But I'm going to make this real easy for you. THIS IS YOUR HOME! :heart:

There, was that clear? :rofl2:

And speaking of clear messages, I have another one for Andrew.....GET POSTING!!! It's after noon in your time zone and you are overdue for an update. :siren:

Every time I go there these days, my computer takes waaay too long to download the site so i give up. I think God is trying to tell me to just stay where I am. :heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ZT5sajkys

That would be me that you sent the message to. I guess private isn't really private afterall. Anyway, thanks

100_9191.jpg

Look at this rusty junk.

Why would the Mayor want one of these?

TCD

Cool pic TCD. I can see this one getting referenced 30-40 years. Somebody brings up the distant memory of a train at The Fort. Next thing you know, they are referencing your photo journalism for undeniable proof. Nice work.

Church Keys were used to open beer. So the name was a backhanded snarky comment on morals ...

Meanwhile, I still have a church key - how else to make a Beer Can Chicken?

Not that I have ever consumed alcohol myself :rofl2: (haha), but I might be able to offer some insight. I say "might" because I'm not sure if my memory is referencing a documentary from the History channel, or some guy telling me a story at a bar.

In addition to the Egyptians, monks were one of the first brewers of beer. They carried a "church key" on the corded belt around their waist. In addition, I've been told that the corded belt is actually represented on the original cans of Budweiser. Specifically, inside the dark blue ring, above the word Budweiser. It kind of looks like a horse collar, but I've been told it was a homage to the original brewing monks.

As mentioned above, this maybe total fabrication.

Discuss amongst yourselves...why do you park on the driveway and drive on the parkway? :parrot:

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of theirs, so I do not need to feel any sort of hostility to people who post links to their site.

But if they want to continue driving people our way while also reducing their own population, well, I certainly can't complain about that. In fact, I thank them for the extra traffic. It's like it says in my sig:

Agreed. Very astounding.

I have no ill will toward the place I quit. I enjoyed all of my time spent there, and I have no intention of doing anything to harm that site.

It is a great site, with lots of good information.

And, there are some very nice people who are still active on the camping board there.

Frank and Denise and Ed from Alabama, I'm talking about you! (I'm sure y'all must at least take a peek over here from time to time).

But, it is no longer the place for me.

Every time I go there these days, my computer takes waaay too long to download the site so i give up. I think God is trying to tell me to just stay where I am. :heart:

I say stay where you are too.

Lucky!

TCD

Oh we never got off the train, we kept looping around the campground. Dad waited at the station till the train came back around and pulled us off! We told him that we could not remember where to get off! Dad was not amused! I think we were leaving for home that morning. :rofl2:

I love that story!

This is the kind of thing that happened routinely in my family growing up, too.

When I think about some of the things my parents had to deal with, it makes me appreciate them all the more.

Ya know Marty, it is sometimes difficult to know for sure what God's wishes for us are. I'm not going to begin to guess. But I'm going to make this real easy for you. THIS IS YOUR HOME! :heart:

There, was that clear? :rofl2:

And speaking of clear messages, I have another one for Andrew.....GET POSTING!!! It's after noon in your time zone and you are overdue for an update. :siren:

Yes, sir!

Don't go to bed yet, I am working on an installment right now.

It should be up within the hour.

TCD