February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

OK, stand back.

DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one!

I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out!

It's still Saturday morning.

I have been away from the site for a little over an hour, first on my railroad expedition, and then visiting briefly with Stacktester and Otter Spotter.

The girls have been getting ready.

I love my daughters.

But, I miss the good old days when a jump in the pool and a pony tail/hat was all that "getting ready" consisted of on a camping trip.

Now its showers, and hair products, and make up.

It takes a long time.

Sheez!

But it's all good.

On the way back to the TCD site on the 2000 loop, I happened upon a castmember scrubbing a slab.

I've seen this before.

It's good to know that occasionally the slabs get a good cleaning.

Here he is:

100_9192.jpg

I regret to inform you that I missed a very important shot.

When this fellow was putting some equipment on the trailer, there was some major crack action going on.

But, somehow I failed on getting the shot.

Maybe that's a good thing.

You can tell from this fellow's jeans that he is a professional:

100_9193.jpg

Some things are better left to the imagination.

Strike that.

In this case, neither the real thing or what you might imagine are a good thing.

So forget about the whole thing.

The girls were ready to go when I got back.

I showed them the rusty nails.

They were underwhelmed.

So, we hopped on the cart and headed down to the marina.

The plan was to eat lunch at the MK, and check out a couple of things.

So, we hopped on the boat, and were on our way.

I spied an interesting person on the boat.

Some type of Disney expert conducting research.

See?:

100_9194.jpg

I'm not sure you can read what is written on her notebook, so here you go:

research.jpg

I love the boat ride.

In the winter, I love how the cypress trees and moss look silver:

100_9196.jpg

I love to look over at the rotting remains of River Country:

100_9200.jpg

There was still some kind of survey marker out in the water- this is old news:

100_9203.jpg

On the other side of the boat, we are gliding past Discovery Island.

You can see the roof of a small building here, with birds perched on it:

100_9207.jpg

This is a shot of the Discovery Island shoreline. You can see an old post and rope in this shot:

100_9208.jpg

Of course, I just had to take some shots of the old shipwreck:

100_9210.jpg

100_9211.jpg

100_9212.jpg

Here we are looking over at Bay Lake Tower. There is one of the big Magic Kingdom boats cruising by there:

100_9213.jpg

Here we are looking back toward Discovery Island. Look how all the cypress trees are brown, and the leaves on the other trees are very thin:

100_9214.jpg

There was some kind of boat issue going on this weekend, because you can see that they are using one of the old Animal Kingdom boats here to transport guests to the Fort:

100_9215.jpg

100_9216.jpg

Here's a look at Wilderness Lodge:

100_9217.jpg

We made it to the Magic Kingdom, and headed down Main Street.

We ran into the mayor and his girlfriend:

100_9218.jpg

100_9219.jpg

Meow.

We snagged some Space Mountain Fastpasses, and then headed for lunch.

It was really crowded.

See what I mean?:

100_9220.jpg

100_9221.jpg

Have you ever noticed that crocodile weather vane up there on the Peter Pan roof before?

I never have.

Also notice how everyone is wearing sweatshirts and jackets. It was a cool day.

I suggested that we try the Pinocchio Village Haus restaurant.

None of us have ever tried it before.

It's true.

What I remember about this restaurant is the overwhelming smell of sauerkraut.

I mean, it used to reek.

But, they have changed the menu.

It's an Italian joint now.

But, they still spell house "haus."

We had to wait on a long line just to order our food.

And then, we had to search for a table.

I never knew that there was an upstairs here.

Or outside seating upstairs.

Well, there is.

Here is a shot of the floor level from upstairs. The folks at the top of the photo are all in line to order:

100_9223.jpg

Here's a view from our upstairs table:

100_9227.jpg

Notice how the castle is behind and big, painted curtain. I'm not sure what they were working on, but it's interesting how they do this type of thing at WDW.

You can see all of the crowds and the downstairs outside eating area here:

100_9228.jpg

100_9229.jpg

100_9230.jpg

We could see just a bit over the wall into the construction area for the new Fantasyland:

100_9231.jpg

See those posters on the construction wall?

We will take a look at them in just a minute.

We enjoyed the restaurant.

The food is good.

But, I swear it still smells like sauerkraut in there.

On our way out of the restaurant, we ran into this fellow.

His job is apparently to guard the exit with that puppet:

100_9232.jpg

Here's a photo of that poster we were just looking at from the restaurant:

100_9233.jpg

You can see the drawing of the new Snow White Roller Coaster, and the Little Mermaid attraction behind it.

Over on this side of the poster, in the far right of the photo, you can see the planned double Dumbo ride:

100_9234.jpg

Also note the shadow cast by the Mickey balloon.

Well, that's 30 photos.

Time to stop.

Next up, we visit a brand new attraction.

And we like it.

TCD

Nice update, although you have left two disturbing things in my mind: behind crack and sauerkraut :(

Reminds me of going to a mall and smelling Mr. Dunderbaks throughout the entire thing!

Oh and I love the research photo! Very nice.

More great pictures. Those crowds, wow. I don't do well with crowds. This is one of the main reasons I will not be doing any parks in July. That means I will be around if you should happen to be there and want a cup of coffee, while you are out taking more pictures for me to enjoy:banana:

And I am really glad you didn't get the "crack" picture :rofl2:

Thank you for sparing us a picture of the CM cleaning the site. My motto has always been "Say NO to crack!"

I have not tried Pinocchio restaurant either, What did you eat, and why are there no pictures? Dave likes food pictures of kitties, remember? :)

That would be me that you sent the message to. I guess private isn't really private afterall. Anyway, thanks

No, I think I got away with sendingg it to you, so I tried to send it to another poster who asked. that was when they took away my pm priviledges. <_<

And speaking of clear messages, I have another one for Andrew.....GET POSTING!!! It's after noon in your time zone and you are overdue for an update. :siren:

I agree. Don't keep us hanging! (Especially not our friends in Russia who need extra entertainment!)

ETA - Oops - I thought I was at the end of the report, when there was a whole 'nother page with a new installment. So, instead of bitching, I'll say good job and keep it up! B)

Want a tip on a great place to view fireworks? Well you kind of found it we sat on the balcony of the Pinnochio Haus for Ney Years Eve a coupl of years ago, it was like a private viewing area, just don't tell anyone else :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Want a tip on a great place to view fireworks? Well you kind of found it we sat on the balcony of the Pinnochio Haus for Ney Years Eve a coupl of years ago, it was like a private viewing area, just don't tell anyone else :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Your secret is safe with me, my lips03.gifare sealed :rofl2:

Thanks for updating. I really enjoyed the scenes from the water. I love old trees and moss wherever it's found. WDW trees & moss have to be some of the best though... LOL my girls are underwhelmed by mossy trees. They just don't get it. Go figure... :huh:

I suspect they'd be more appreciative of those rusty nails as my dad worked for Patapsco & Back River RR and the kids were happy with rr lanterns & old insulators found on our hikes around here. Now the first thing they wanna know about a place though is "how's the net"... :rolleyes:

As always great TR TCD. Love the Bay Lake pics. Love the MK pics. Say is that Garrison Keillor

at the Kingdom.

100_9221.jpg

Of course, I hope you all realize that the real Fantasyland expansion is not going to look anything like that artists constipation drawing.

Oh sure, just go and pee on my parade... :gaah:

Look at those crowds! It wasn't that bad last July, and they say it's really crowded in summertime.

DH went in Pinocchio's to get DD some dinner, but I wasn't there. DD and I rode Small World while he did that. Very clever man. :rofl2:

I am so happy to hear the cabins are open for spiking too - but we are going to rent the 5W from Donnie this year! Woo hoo! We're like real-live campers! :banana: I requested the 1700 loop... hint hint

I did notice in one of your first pics it looks like you had a Disney bride in front of you... awwww....

What the heck???? I miss a couple of days and now I have eye strain and carpel tunnel syndrome from scrolling for hours to catch up!!!

The only thing cooler than a gazillion pics of weeds and brush is finding FW railroad tracks AND genuine FWRR spikes...er..nails hidden in them. :banana:

Love the old Country Time Can, the vantage point of the Pinocchio's Haus balcony.... too many comments, too little time. I'll just say great report and leave it at that!

Thanks for not sharing the crack.

Ok so did anyone notice that the "research" lady was carrying one of last year's refillable mugs? :huh:

I thought it was just me. I wasn't sure what this year's mugs looked like but that one sure looked like one sitting in my cabinet right now and I know I haven't been yet this year. :popo:

After perusing the photo again, I betcha the "research" was on using old refillable mugs while pool hopping. She's really just fishing to get an actual picture of the mug police in action and that's her bait...

Cool pic TCD. I can see this one getting referenced 30-40 years. Somebody brings up the distant memory of a train at The Fort. Next thing you know, they are referencing your photo journalism for undeniable proof. Nice work.

Not that I have ever consumed alcohol myself :rofl2: (haha), but I might be able to offer some insight. I say "might" because I'm not sure if my memory is referencing a documentary from the History channel, or some guy telling me a story at a bar.

In addition to the Egyptians, monks were one of the first brewers of beer. They carried a "church key" on the corded belt around their waist. In addition, I've been told that the corded belt is actually represented on the original cans of Budweiser. Specifically, inside the dark blue ring, above the word Budweiser. It kind of looks like a horse collar, but I've been told it was a homage to the original brewing monks.

As mentioned above, this maybe total fabrication.

Discuss amongst yourselves...why do you park on the driveway and drive on the parkway? :parrot:

Sorry, I missed these comments while I was working on the last update.

Good stuff.

I watch the History Channel a lot (are there any Pawn Star fans in the house?), but I sure never saw a program on the history of beer. Very interesting!

OK TCD...back to regular programming. Sorry for the hijack. :)

No apology necessary.

There really is no such thing as a hijack of a TCD trip report.

Somehow, everything becomes relevant.

Nice update, although you have left two disturbing things in my mind: behind crack and sauerkraut :(

Reminds me of going to a mall and smelling Mr. Dunderbaks throughout the entire thing!

Oh and I love the research photo! Very nice.

Mr. Dunderbak's.

Yep, that is it!

The thing is, I like sauerkraut.

In small quantities.

And, just on occasion.

I do not like being assaulted by its overwhelming stench when I walk into a restaurant.

More great pictures. Those crowds, wow. I don't do well with crowds. This is one of the main reasons I will not be doing any parks in July. That means I will be around if you should happen to be there and want a cup of coffee, while you are out taking more pictures for me to enjoy:banana:

And I am really glad you didn't get the "crack" picture :rofl2:

I think the crowded look was somewhat the result of the current construction. Overall, it was not that busy in the parks that weekend. We were a week before President's Day weekend, which is usually a very busy time. I can handle being in a crowd when it is cool, but I am with you 100% about July in the parks.

TCD

Thank you for sparing us a picture of the CM cleaning the site. My motto has always been "Say NO to crack!"

I have not tried Pinocchio restaurant either, What did you eat, and why are there no pictures? Dave likes food pictures of kitties, remember? :)

You are welcome.

I say Crack is Whack!

Sorry, but no food photos for Dave.

This is not CatertoDave.com.

Two of us had Chicken Parmesan and one of us had a meatball sub.

Dave- the meals looked pretty much like you would imagine.

The food was good.

I recommend this place.

In fact, we have been back a couple of times since then.

I agree. Don't keep us hanging! (Especially not our friends in Russia who need extra entertainment!)

ETA - Oops - I thought I was at the end of the report, when there was a whole 'nother page with a new installment. So, instead of bitching, I'll say good job and keep it up! B)

No problem Leslie!

This trip report is plodding along rather slowly.

I will see what I can do to pick up the pace.

That sound like a good tip!

I don't think I will try it on NYE.

But maybe another time.

I'll bet the fireworks are right overhead!

Thanks for updating. I really enjoyed the scenes from the water. I love old trees and moss wherever it's found. WDW trees & moss have to be some of the best though... LOL my girls are underwhelmed by mossy trees. They just don't get it. Go figure... :huh:

I suspect they'd be more appreciative of those rusty nails as my dad worked for Patapsco & Back River RR and the kids were happy with rr lanterns & old insulators found on our hikes around here. Now the first thing they wanna know about a place though is "how's the net"... :rolleyes:

Yeah.

I hear you about the teens.

Today's teens sure are connected in ways that I never even dreamed of when I was their age.

But WDW, and Fort Wilderness in particular is a good remedy for that.

As always great TR TCD. Love the Bay Lake pics. Love the MK pics. Say is that Garrison Keillor

at the Kingdom.

100_9221.jpg

Sorry, Bro.

I am not smart enough to be a fan of Garrison Keller.

So, I can neither confirm or deny whether that was him.

TCD

Of course, I hope you all realize that the real Fantasyland expansion is not going to look anything like that artists constipation drawing.

Ah, come on Magicbus.

Why would you say something like that?

Look at all of that lush landscaping and fantastic detail.

I think it is going to look exactly like the drawing!

Well, not really.

But it will still be something new to do at the Magic Kingdom.

So, it's all good.

Look at those crowds! It wasn't that bad last July, and they say it's really crowded in summertime.

DH went in Pinocchio's to get DD some dinner, but I wasn't there. DD and I rode Small World while he did that. Very clever man. :rofl2:

I am so happy to hear the cabins are open for spiking too - but we are going to rent the 5W from Donnie this year! Woo hoo! We're like real-live campers! :banana: I requested the 1700 loop... hint hint

I did notice in one of your first pics it looks like you had a Disney bride in front of you... awwww....

Good for you!

I am sure you will enjoy that much more than a cabin!

I know you may not want to post your exact dates, but approximately when are you planning to be there?

Ok so did anyone notice that the "research" lady was carrying one of last year's refillable mugs? :huh:

Good catch.

But, see my comments below.

What the heck???? I miss a couple of days and now I have eye strain and carpel tunnel syndrome from scrolling for hours to catch up!!!

The only thing cooler than a gazillion pics of weeds and brush is finding FW railroad tracks AND genuine FWRR spikes...er..nails hidden in them. :banana:

Love the old Country Time Can, the vantage point of the Pinocchio's Haus balcony.... too many comments, too little time. I'll just say great report and leave it at that!

Thanks for not sharing the crack.

Hey KFK!

What do you mean you missed a couple of days?

Get with it lady!

That kind of thing could result in a revocation of your Fiend card.

I thought it was just me. I wasn't sure what this year's mugs looked like but that one sure looked like one sitting in my cabinet right now and I know I haven't been yet this year. :popo:

After perusing the photo again, I betcha the "research" was on using old refillable mugs while pool hopping. She's really just fishing to get an actual picture of the mug police in action and that's her bait...

You are both correct.

That is an old mug.

But, remember that this photo is from 2/12/11. The new mugs had not yet been introduced. They were introduced very shortly after this.

So, I don't' think she was researching mug abuse or pool hopping.

But, it must have been something important.

What with that official RESEARCH notebook and everything.

TCD

So, who's your favorite on the show?

I get a kick out of the Old Man. It's surprising, but not really I guess, how much him & Rick know about history in general. They get some pretty serious historical items coming through there.

I find the show to be educational as well as fun.