February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

Thanks, Tom.

It completely slipped my mind that you also deserve credit for nudging me in this direction.

Remember- you sent me a text?

I'm sure we will see each other a lot on here, and at the Fort.

BTW, I think you would appreciate that my oldest DD is working an internship in the PR department for FSU's athletic programs this summer. Her fellow intern is Dustin Hopkins (FSU's star kicker). She is thrilled. They are expecting a big year for FSU football this season.

TCD

Ahh yes, I remember shooting you a text. I think it was the day after I joined here :). I knew you would be out for a while so we waited patiently.

I look forward to crossing paths with you at the Fort this year.

Pretty cool about your DD. And Dustin Hopkins is a pretty good pairing. I'm a bit early, but I can't wait for the "official 2011 college football thread".

And speaking of Hopkins, remember this boot? The sound of this kick is awesome! Just try to tune out James comments.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz74KhnQDQo&feature=youtube_gdata]

While I have admitted to having been selected to be "That Guy" before, those instances were clearly some type of odd anomalies, because they always pick a clueless old man to be "That Guy."

TCD

10%203%3A05%3A40%20AM.jpg

WOW no hold up a sec!!! I have been that guy and not only do i hold a "Fiend card", but i hold an "Under 30 Card", Kungaloosh Master Blender Card", and a "Big Sexy" card so it isnt always a Old Crusty Curmudgeon that gets to be THAT GUY ;)

The campers with the goverment tags are most likely rentals available for milatary and also the emloyees at milatary bases, I have spoke with some when I have seen them at campgrounds, they get really good rental rates also.

Excellent TR. Took me two days but well worth the effort. I'm proud to be one of the "10,000" views. 8)

Thanks

Jeanne

Me too!

BTW - I'm glad to see the flamingos in your avatar. Until I saw that I thought your name was flaming-o-gal not flamingo-gal. It took me back to my college days when we would order all of those exotic drinks from the gal with the shot glasses! :rofl2:

I'll be on the lookout for Mr. Slow Barrel Painter Guy this summer. Reminds me of the tortoise and the hare. Faster isn't always better. Kudos to him for a job well done.

90 minutes a barrel isn't too bad.

I'll bet that it took some idiot middle manager a day to figure out whether or not the barrel should be painted, another day to issue the order, and one more day to sign off that it had been done to specifications. The painting was the cheapest part of the job. And people wonder why Disney is hiring more & more outside contractors.

I'll bet that it took some idiot middle manager a day to figure out whether or not the barrel should be painted, another day to issue the order, and one more day to sign off that it had been done to specifications. The painting was the cheapest part of the job. And people wonder why Disney is hiring more & more outside contractors.

:rofl2:

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Also thanks for saving a spike for my dad. I won't be back down there until December 2012. That's over two years without a Fort Fix. :blink: My brother and SIL will be down there in about 4 or 5 weeks, though.

Ah, the lettuce and tomatoes. Once upon a time, they had a thing called Figaro Fries. Figaro Fries consisted of bacon, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and ranch sauce. In 2008 (I think), they removed the lettuce, tomatoes, and ranch, and called them loaded fries. I had heard that there were issues with ordering them with lettuce and tomato, but I thought, "Who would really care about putting lettuce and tomatoes on fries?". Well, that answer would be every CM working there. I actually had to get management. They told me that they weren't supposed to put lettuce and tomatoes on fries anymore. They eventually did, but they weren't happy about it. What did they think was going to happen? Was it going to self-destruct?

This pregnancy has gone much quicker than with DD. Only 13 weeks left. :o

If you would like, send me a PM with the exact dates that your brother will be at the Fort, and I will see if I can convince the Spike Fairy to make a delivery.

Figaro Fries? I never heard of them! But, I would totally eat Figaro Fries. The only thing is that I would not have been able to get past the sauerkraut stench. Your experience is a perfect illustration of why I am no fan of the Dining Plan. There are no more unique menu choices like this. Every place you go now the choice is limited to a couple of sandwiches and a flat bread. Blech.

Read the whole trip report, now finishing the compliments. Your TR's are great. This got me even more excited about my trip.

Dan

Thanks.

And, BTW, I love the photo of your Disney Dog in your signature. His dog house looks like one of the FW cabins.

Ahh yes, I remember shooting you a text. I think it was the day after I joined here :). I knew you would be out for a while so we waited patiently.

I look forward to crossing paths with you at the Fort this year.

Pretty cool about your DD. And Dustin Hopkins is a pretty good pairing. I'm a bit early, but I can't wait for the "official 2011 college football thread".

And speaking of Hopkins, remember this boot? The sound of this kick is awesome! Just try to tune out James comments.

["]http://www.youtube.c...=youtube_gdata]

Tom-

That is a great video clip!

I am sure you can't wait for the Official 2011 College Football Thread. It looks like Nole fans have a lot of reasons to be optimistic this year. But, there is still that 3rd home game. That will be a real test.

Holy crow - you are up to almost 10K views!

NBD.

We have passed 10,000 and still counting!

10%203%3A05%3A40%20AM.jpg

WOW no hold up a sec!!! I have been that guy and not only do i hold a "Fiend card", but i hold an "Under 30 Card", Kungaloosh Master Blender Card", and a "Big Sexy" card so it isnt always a Old Crusty Curmudgeon that gets to be THAT GUY ;)

Hmmm.

I guess maybe my theory needs a little adjustment.

So, here it is: They always pick a clueless old guy or a Lug to be "That Guy."

There, I think that covers it now.

TCD

The campers with the goverment tags are most likely rentals available for milatary and also the emloyees at milatary bases, I have spoke with some when I have seen them at campgrounds, they get really good rental rates also.

I suspect you are right.

But it is strange to me that the tags are from the Department of Homeland Security, and say "For Official Government Use."

Excellent TR. Took me two days but well worth the effort. I'm proud to be one of the "10,000" views. 8)

Thanks

Jeanne

Thanks for reading this bloated monster of a trip report.

And for posting!

Me too!

BTW - I'm glad to see the flamingos in your avatar. Until I saw that I thought your name was flaming-o-gal not flamingo-gal. It took me back to my college days when we would order all of those exotic drinks from the gal with the shot glasses! :rofl2:

Man, where did you go to college?

We didn't have any Flaming O Gals at UF.

And I thought I went to a party school.

I haven't been on in a while but when I finally came back the first thing I see is a trip report by TCD!! I use to read your trip reports on the other board. I am glad you are here.

Lori

Well, I am glad to be here too.

And I am also glad that there are so many familiar "faces" here.

TCD

As always, excellent trip report! Thanks for braving the brush to prove that rails still exist!

And congratulations on setting the trip report bar so incredibly high for a new forum -- almost 10,000 views...wow!

Incredible. I'm sure the landlords are thrilled you're here.

Thanks, Norm.

As I already have said, I am glad that you have officially joined the party.

Yes, 10,000 views is a lot..

But, I know that you or I can do better.

This TR got there first, but I suspect it won't be long before another one comes along and has more viewers. Probably one from you. You will have to work hard to catch me, but I know you can do it.

WoW! great report now I'm ready for the next one. I'll be on the lookout for Mr. Slow Barrel Painter Guy this summer. Reminds me of the tortoise and the hare. Faster isn't always better. Kudos to him for a job well done.

Well, I have to admit he did paint them barrels pretty good. I will always smile when I see them from now on.

This is funny.

But, I don't think it is far from the truth.

It never ceases to amaze me that some things at the Fort have been literally left to rot, while others get routine and unnecessary attention from maintenance workers.

TCD

Let's try that one more time without the sun:

100_9399.jpg

So what is going on here?

I accidentally wandered into that area once.

Honestly.

I was looking for the internet cafe.

This was a few years ago.

A castmember told me that it was in the building between the check-in lanes.

I didn't know that there was an entrance on the ground level in the front, and I had seen castmember walking up here. So, up I went.

It was just an office/breakroom area.

I think they were probably just replacing the carpet or something.

No big deal.

TCD

Any pics of this "Accident"? Still Trying to get to the end!!!

Hey Lug,where you been? 14 posts, come on, and in my best snarky voice, that's pitiful.

I know I know. I will not justify this with any lame wanna be excuses. I just have been busy and not prioritizing my personal relaxation time. I have been work work work and haven't been thinking about me. I am trying to re-prioritize my life to the way it was. I miss you guys!

TCD if you have an extra spike... i'm just sayin...

WOW!!! That took a long time to read!!! I mean really I read from my iPad, iPhone, Laptop @ Work, Command Center at the house. I mean from everywhere. I just finished!!!!

Loved it!

Bravo!!

...just for a visual here is an old picture of the command center at TheLug Mansion. I could maybe take over from here one day. I will have to get a picture of the updated command center. Due to the advances in technology we had to renovate!

IMG_1397.JPG

Hmmm.

that is interesting.

I saw this tag on an A-liner pulling out of the 300 loop back in 2009.

FWHalloween20093691.jpg

I don't know what kind of official government business requires camping at the Fort, but I would like to work for that agency.

LOL!

Definitely #3!

TCD

Yea, me too. Federal benefits and The Fort, it doesn't get much better than that!!!!!

It is now time for a few final thoughts.

When this trip report began on May 5, no trip report on this site had been viewed even a thousand times.

Today, just two weeks later, this report has been viewed over ten thousand times, and, more importantly, there are now five trip reports which have been viewed over a thousand times, two of which have been viewed over two thousand times.

Here are the top ten most-viewed trip reports as of 5/20/11:

stats52011.jpg

(This site has some excellent filters that I am just figuring out how to use)

I say good show Fiends!

But we can do better!!!

Someday, the views on the top ten will all be in the thousands.

And, that will be soon!

You may have noticed that I changed the title of this trip report. I need to use that title on another thread that I am going to start soon over in the photo section. You won't want to miss that!

This has been a fun report:

--We brought a couple of lurkers out of the shadows and had them join as members.

--We saw a deer walk on water.

--We explored Horseshoe Bend.

--We learned about the Northern Pioneers.

--We shared our feelings about steel balls.

--We got a little lesson on nautical flags.

--We met SBPG (Slow Barrel Painter Guy).

--And, we had a pretty serious hijack attempt by Bevis and Butthead.

Thanks for reading along.

Look for a new TCD trip report to begin on Monday.

In the meantime, check out some of the other trip reports here. There are some good ones. A trip report takes a lot of effort. If you want to see more trip reports, post an encouraging word or two on some of the other reports.

And, if you are still lurking, here is one more friendly nudge to become an official member. You will be glad you did when you see the rest of the areas of this site which are open to registered users only.

TCD