February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

Rails!!! That is way cool. Cooler than RC, cooler than finding old signs and stuff. Actual rails from the FWRR!!! :banana:

You've made my evening. I've never been to the Fort during late winter when weeds have died back. Maybe never will. So thank you for posting this. Also it is VERY cool that you found those spikes...I mean "nails". I happen to do a bit of steel recycling now and then, if you are still looking to unload any of them around Thanksgiving time. :rofl2:

I agree, very cool, I was told that there were no rails left at all and here is an entire stretch of track that looks like they just walked away from....

Like others, I love walking behind the 700 loop where there are still ties and a recognizable rail bed and have often wished I had the time to follow it around the entire Fort.

On this part it almost looks like you could almost cut back the brush and run a train back there again. well, maybe not ;)

:) :) :) :) :)

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

Very cool. I'm glad you made it out alive. I was starting to get worried there for a second :rofl2: I wish I had been there too. I understand the wanting rusty junk thing :banana:

Keep it coming, if you hadn't noticed, I am here all day. I don't watch soaps, I do FF :dance:

You know, I just happened to notice that you are closing in on 5000 posts.

That is remarkable.

I used to belong to another Discussion Board, and I think it took me 7 years to make it to 5000 posts.

Overachiever!

and I'm always lurking FF is my happy place when I get close to a melt down at work.. whooo saaaaaaaaaa... 8)

I'm happy to help with your meltdowns.

Aren't those railway spikes? Cool!

What?

Railway spikes?

I thought they were giant rusty nails.

Why yes, Yes they are!

Ah ha.

Now I understand why the Mayor was so excited!

J/K

Of course they are railroad spikes.

From the FWRR!

That is a BFD! (Big Fort Deal).

I have looked high and low for years for one FWRR spike.

And I found 12 in one outing!

More Pixie Dust for TCD!

But, I am not going to hold onto them.

As you know, I already gave one to the Mayor and one to the Otter Spotter.

I also gave one to Dave (The Grumpy of Grumpy and Grandma).

And one to Judy/Fiesty.

And one to my very dear friend Hilda (of 700 loop fame).

And, I also gave one to the guy that most of you know as The Troll (he was TakeMeToEpcot back in the day a/k/a Scruff a/k/a Mrs. Troll). I know he rubbed some folks the wrong way, but I like him. His real name is Norm, and I met him at the Fort last Thanksgiving. He and his wife were camping on the 300 loop this weekend, and he is a true Fort Fiend, so he got a spike, too.

I gave another one to Stefa70 during my Spring Break trip.

And, I should have given one to MagicBus then too, but I thought I was running low, and I wanted to keep a few to give to my daughters and grandchildren (when I get some).

But, not to worry, I did some more public service on my Spring Break trip, and picked up some more of those rusty nails, so my plan now is to distribute a spike to every Fiend I see at the Fort until they are all gone.

I am saving one for Magicbus, and a few for some other folks I have already met, but there should be plenty to go around for a while.

Here's how it will work:

Put out your FortFiends sign when you are the Fort. If the Spike Fairy sees it, you may find a genuine FWRR spike at your site. It happened to Stefa70, and it could happen to you!

Ok, I know I'm very late in asking this question, but I am seeing the footbridge in this photo that is on the map right?

If so, did you walk over and check it out? It looks like it is in pretty good condition. And I'm wondering how I have never noticed this before as I have fished that area multiple times.

Sorry to interrupt the flow, but it has been bugging me since I saw the photos early on.

Tom-

Yes, there used to be two footbridges out by Chickasaw Creek, as shown on the map.

But, they are long gone.

I am not sure what part of the photos you were referring to, but I zoomed in on the areas I think you might be talking about.

Here you go:

zoom1.jpg

zoom2.jpg

What looks like it might be a footbridge is just a horizontal branch.

Unless you are talking about something else?

TCD

Rails!!! That is way cool. Cooler than RC, cooler than finding old signs and stuff. Actual rails from the FWRR!!! :banana:

You've made my evening. I've never been to the Fort during late winter when weeds have died back. Maybe never will. So thank you for posting this. Also it is VERY cool that you found those spikes...I mean "nails". I happen to do a bit of steel recycling now and then, if you are still looking to unload any of them around Thanksgiving time. :rofl2:

Dave-

The Good Lord willing, I will be at the Fort for at least part of Thanksgiving week this year.

I will set aside a special giant nail just for you.

And, if I get a chance, I'll take a look around for your old soccer ball, too.

I had the same question. It looks from the map that there should be another one near the back of the 1500 loop too?

Yes, there used to be footbridges where the map indicates.

The old concrete supports are still there, and easy to see.

I have no photos of these supports from this trip, but I did snap some on my spring break trip this year, and I will share those when we get there.

I agree, very cool, I was told that there were no rails left at all and here is an entire stretch of track that looks like they just walked away from....

Like others, I love walking behind the 700 loop where there are still ties and a recognizable rail bed and have often wished I had the time to follow it around the entire Fort.

On this part it almost looks like you could almost cut back the brush and run a train back there again. well, maybe not ;)

:) :) :) :) :)

I tried to venture back to this area when I returned to the Fort in March, and found that the weeds and vines were in overdrive.

Everything that was brown is now green and thick.

So thick that you cannot see where you are walking.

I would not venture back in that area again before winter rolls around again.

But, when it does, I intend to walk the entire length of the railroad.

The part I walked on this trip is undoubtedly the biggest challenge.

The rest of it is pretty easy to follow.

TCD

Here's how it will work:

Put out your FortFiends sign when you are the Fort. If the Spike Fairy sees it, you may find a genuine FWRR spike at your site. It happened to Stefa70, and it could happen to you!

Why yes it did! And while I loved my FWRR spike, I was more excited about the actual Spike Fairy that left it for me! ;)

Tom-

Yes, there used to be two footbridges out by Chickasaw Creek, as shown on the map.

But, they are long gone.

I am not sure what part of the photos you were referring to, but I zoomed in on the areas I think you might be talking about.

Unless you are talking about something else?

TCD

That is exactly the point I was focusing in on.

My investigative skills are lacking :)

I guess that is why I never noticed it while fishing.

Here's how it will work:

TCD

Oh Spike Fairy....we're here now and our sign is out!

We were also here at the same time as you in February and although we didn't have our "formal" sign we did have a Fiendmingo posted in the window. :dance:

DSCN4168.jpg

Why yes it did! And while I loved my FWRR spike, I was more excited about the actual Spike Fairy that left it for me! ;)

Aw Shucks!

That is exactly the point I was focusing in on.

My investigative skills are lacking :)

I guess that is why I never noticed it while fishing.

Tom- No worries- I can see how that kind of looks like a bridge back there.

Kind of.

So, you haven't missed anything.

But maybe it's time for an eye exam?

TCD

Oh Spike Fairy....we're here now and our sign is out!

We were also here at the same time as you in February and although we didn't have our "formal" sign we did have a Fiendmingo posted in the window. :dance:

DSCN4168.jpg

Now that is a spike-worthy display!

Unfortunately, the Spike Fairy will not be flying around the Fort for a few more weeks.

Maybe the Spike Fairy needs and assistant Fairy?

I will work on that.

How much longer will y'all be there?

TCD

Now that is a spike-worthy display!

Unfortunately, the Spike Fairy will not be flying around the Fort for a few more weeks.

Maybe the Spike Fairy needs and assistant Fairy?

I will work on that.

How much longer will y'all be there?

TCD

Until May 23rd but we're in the process of trying to extend to June 1st 'cuz we love it here so much!! :heart:

We'll be back in the fall.

Before moving past the topic of the FWRR, I wanted to share this video, which I am sure many of you have seen before:

http://youtu.be/d3wshRnX0lY

This video starts with the train at the Settlement station.

You then see the train travel out toward the 400 and 500 loops, and past the 300 loop playground.

At 1:35 on the video, we see the train traveling along the canal, and then at 1:50, it makes a gentle turn to the right.

That place with the right curve is the area of tracks shown in my photos above!

Pretty cool!

TCD

does the infamous TCD and clan visit the Fort at Halloween? :popcorn:

It has been known to happen.

Like in 2008, 2009 and 2010 for example.

There may be a pattern developing here.

And, for what it is worth, the TCD dog, Rocky, won best in show at the Pet Costume Contest on Halloween 2010.

So chances are good for a return visit in 2011.

But, with TCD you never know.

TCD

And, for what it is worth, the TCD dog, Rocky, won best in show at the Pet Costume Contest on Halloween 2010.

TCD

I remember when he won. He was so cute :heart:

TCD

:dance:

100_9078.jpg

NORTHERN PIONEERS

Hi TCD! I'll step forward and admit that my DH and I are members of the Northern Pioneers. Most of us, but not all are northern snowbirds. Our group was formed out of our love to stay at the fort and desperation to be able to afford it. In 2011 our group had 77 sites reserved for a minimum stay of 30 nights...with a maximum stay of 90 nights from January 2 through April 1, 2011. Most of our members do prefer the quietness of the full hookup sites but there are some of us that like being in the preferred & premium loops. We have a great "leader" who negotiates with Disney so that we can stay at our second "home".

Susan

And NOW we see how to get to 5,000 in a few months... double posts, lots of em!

TCD, I am blown away that you have given away so many spikes! I thought I was hot stuff crawling through a wall of brambles to find two, and here you're giving them out like cookies and milk! Serious props, my friend!

ShantaClausSm.png

I think it's great thing the spike fairy I love it just wish we were not so far away that I could get one. I liked your refrence about Take Me to EPCOT at first he seemed harsh but I got to like his style quickly and aslo enjoyed his TR at the other place, will he be joing us here or has he already under another alias. Love your trip report as always.

But, I am not going to hold onto them.

As you know, I already gave one to the Mayor and one to the Otter Spotter.

I also gave one to Dave (The Grumpy of Grumpy and Grandma).

And one to Judy/Fiesty.

And one to my very dear friend Hilda (of 700 loop fame).

And, I also gave one to the guy that most of you know as The Troll (he was TakeMeToEpcot back in the day a/k/a Scruff a/k/a Mrs. Troll). I know he rubbed some folks the wrong way, but I like him. His real name is Norm, and I met him at the Fort last Thanksgiving. He and his wife were camping on the 300 loop this weekend, and he is a true Fort Fiend, so he got a spike, too.

I gave another one to Stefa70 during my Spring Break trip.

And, I should have given one to MagicBus then too, but I thought I was running low, and I wanted to keep a few to give to my daughters and grandchildren (when I get some).

But, not to worry, I did some more public service on my Spring Break trip, and picked up some more of those rusty nails, so my plan now is to distribute a spike to every Fiend I see at the Fort until they are all gone.

I am saving one for Magicbus, and a few for some other folks I have already met, but there should be plenty to go around for a while.

Here's how it will work:

I usually don't ask for anything but ME ME ME PLEASE PLEASE :banana: