It's Going To Be Hot in Star Wars Land

From today's Tampa Bay Times:

https://www.tampabay.com/fun/disneys-star-wars-land-opens-in-august-in-florida-with-little-shade-fans-have-questions-20190809/

I got to visit Galaxy's Edge for a castmember preview last week. Fortunately, our time began at 5, and a thunderstorm was just ending. The heat wasn't so bad, and with the controlled crowd, it was no problem getting in to the air conditioned places to cool off. 

But, based on what we saw, the TCD gang is going to be sitting out opening day. The crowds and heat will be brutal. 

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

From today's Tampa Bay Times:

https://www.tampabay.com/fun/disneys-star-wars-land-opens-in-august-in-florida-with-little-shade-fans-have-questions-20190809/

I got to visit Galaxy's Edge for a castmember preview last week. Fortunately, our time began at 5, and a thunderstorm was just ending. The heat wasn't so bad, and with the controlled crowd, it was no problem getting in to the air conditioned places to cool off. 

But, based on what we saw, the TCD gang is going to be sitting out opening day. The crowds and heat will be brutal. 

TCD

I read a couple of FB posts mentioning the heat and lack of shade (guess they were trying to make it as authentic as possible).

Both people said to make sure you bring plenty to drink, especially for when you get stuck in the predicted long lines.

I don't get Disney's thought process.  They built Toy Story Land without shade options, and Pandora can get pretty toasty also.

There’s a place in NJ called Diggerland and it’s pretty neat but when they built it they literally knocked down every freaking tree/shrub/piece of shade. It’s all black Asphalt too. It’s basically hell on earth. My kids know we only go if it’s max of like 60 degrees out because it’s awful. Eventually they started to get the hint (honestly there was always puke somewhere because of the heat!) they started to add these shade things. I can’t believe Disney didn’t alter the design to add shade. 

5 minutes ago, Beckers said:

There’s a place in NJ called Diggerland and it’s pretty neat but when they built it they literally knocked down every freaking tree/shrub/piece of shade. It’s all black Asphalt too. It’s basically hell on earth. My kids know we only go if it’s max of like 60 degrees out because it’s awful. Eventually they started to get the hint (honestly there was always puke somewhere because of the heat!) they started to add these shade things. I can’t believe Disney didn’t alter the design to add shade. 

Disney could've used thousand of those smart drones to hover overhead and move around to block the sun as it moves!

7 hours ago, Travisma said:

I don't get Disney's thought process.  They built Toy Story Land without shade options, and Pandora can get pretty toasty also.

One good thing about Galaxy 's Edge is that it is more spacious than Pandora and TSL. That helps. But It could also mean more room for wall to wall guests to pack in. That didn't happen at Disneyland, but they had a bunch of passholder block outs and a reservation system in place for their opening. WDW doesn't. I think it's going to be bad. 

TCD

7 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

One good thing about Galaxy 's Edge is that it is more spacious than Pandora and TSL. That helps. But It could also mean more room for wall to wall guests to pack in. That didn't happen at Disneyland, but they had a bunch of passholder block outs and a reservation system in place for their opening. WDW doesn't. I think it's going to be bad. 

TCD

The pictures I’ve seen it looks like a light colored pit that will be reflecting sun into it from all angles.  As the song goes “It’s gonna be hot, hot, hot.”

"At the first aid stations, nurses are available to offer over-the-counter medications, bandages and other quick remedies for free." This quote from the Tampa Tribune is so not true. We stopped by the First Aid Station at Epcot, found 5 "medical" personnel laughing, joking, and so not interested in helping us. We politely asked for help which required a simple bandaid for a wound, and they told us to "exit the property and drive to the nearest drug store." We were shocked and totally disallusioned by DW first aid support and lack of compassion or concern.  Based on that experience, and past lack of "heat" issue concern at Hollywood Studios temporary bus stops, I'm not expecting any consideration or assistance what so ever to make guests comfortable at Galaxy's Edge. It makes me sad how this attitude has evolved at DW. Sure has changed.

7 hours ago, Breezy2 said:

"At the first aid stations, nurses are available to offer over-the-counter medications, bandages and other quick remedies for free." This quote from the Tampa Tribune is so not true. We stopped by the First Aid Station at Epcot, found 5 "medical" personnel laughing, joking, and so not interested in helping us. We politely asked for help which required a simple bandaid for a wound, and they told us to "exit the property and drive to the nearest drug store." We were shocked and totally disallusioned by DW first aid support and lack of compassion or concern.  Based on that experience, and past lack of "heat" issue concern at Hollywood Studios temporary bus stops, I'm not expecting any consideration or assistance what so ever to make guests comfortable at Galaxy's Edge. It makes me sad how this attitude has evolved at DW. Sure has changed.

I've been to WDW first aid several times for sinus remedies, headache remedies, bandaids, dehydration, and my hubby with a sugar low. They have always been caring and offered excellent service. I'm sorry to hear you had an issue.

12 hours ago, Breezy2 said:

Wow I can't believe that happened, but I can't say I am surprised either.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:52 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I've been to WDW first aid several times for sinus remedies, headache remedies, bandaids, dehydration, and my hubby with a sugar low. They have always been caring and offered excellent service. I'm sorry to hear you had an issue.

Completely agree, Carol. With a gaggle of kids in tow, we've been to most of the first aid offices in the parks (and yes, we've had Reedy Creek EMS respond unnecessarily once too, long story there lol). Maybe it was just a bad day. Usually they're extremely professional and helpful.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:43 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

TSL is a barren wasteland; at least Pandora has trees and foliage. We're going to Galaxy's Edge in October, hopefully it wont be as bad as oh say AUGUST

On 8/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, LONE-STAR said:

I will only go to Disney in the Fall, Winter, and maybe spring. My summer days are over. At least until I forget how hot it gets.

We live here now so, the heat is an every day thing. The daily storms can also curb the day but you get used to it. We lived in Maryland and it was just as hot and humid in the summer as down here, admittedly it doesn't last as long up there. 

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, Country Coach Guy said:

We live here now so, the heat is an every day thing. The daily storms can also curb the day but you get used to it. We lived in Maryland and it was just as hot and humid in the summer as down here, admittedly it doesn't last as long up there. 

We've been down here 41 years.

First years we were here, it used to rain around 3 or 4 everyday in the summer.  Lasted 30 minute to an hour.  Temps dropped 10 to 15 degrees and it dried in about a 1/2 hour. Made for a pleasant evening.  Over the years the weather patterns have definitely changed.

Blame it on global warming, pollution, or paving over all the green spaces in FL with roads and parking lots!