Disney and Sony battle over Spiderman

There have been tons of reports over the battle to control Spiderman and the breakdown in talks.

Sony has released a couple of blurbs about their stance and reasoning. 

I haven't seen anything from Disney (but I could've just missed it).

Now this is an entire different spin.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/22/stan-lee-daughter-sony-disney-spiderman-marvel/

Not sure how accurate this story is, after all TMZ hasn't won too many Pulitzer's for reporting...

STAN LEE'S DAUGHTER SIDES WITH SONY OVER DISNEY In 'Spider-Man'/MCU Split

The late Stan Lee -- who co-created 'Spider-Man' -- would've been happy over the news that Sony pumped the brakes on giving Disney control of his character ... so says his daughter.

Sony's move to limit control over 'Spider-Man' -- and potentially remove the superhero entirely from Disney's Marvel Comic Universe -- is one that was necessary and something Stan would have appreciated ... so says his daughter, Joan Celia (JC) Lee.

ICYMI ... reports surfaced Tuesday that Sony and Disney reached a standstill in negotiating Spidey's future under Disney's umbrella, including any 'Avengers' spin-offs/sequels. Insiders told Deadline it was all about money ... Disney wanted a 50/50 stake in 'Spider-Man'-related revenue, and also wanted Marvel honcho Kevin Feige to be the guiding hand.

Welp, Sony was reportedly not too down with that -- they own the rights to 'Spider-Man,' and until now had partnered with Disney to crank out these last few films. That's all over now.

As for how the Lees feel about it, JC tells us ... "Marvel and Disney seeking total control of my father's creations must be checked and balanced by others who, while still seeking to profit, have genuine respect for Stan Lee and his legacy." AKA ... cameos don't cut it.

She goes on ... "Whether it's Sony or someone else's, the continued evolution of Stan's characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view."

“When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency.”

JC's parting words ... "In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."

Ouch!!!

28 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Give me a break. The Spider-Man movies produced by Sony stunk. Marvel Studios/Disney took the franchise to heights it never would have attained. 

Disney let Stan Lee have cameos in all the Marvel films.

Stan Lee's daughter needs to sit down next to the other big mouthed kids who are living off their parents' wealth.

TCD

The first Sony one wasn't bad considering when it was made and the CGI that was available at that time.

Yeah he did have cameos (maybe she thought he should've had bigger parts?) and in the Endgame bonus CD they have about a 15 minute tribute to Stan with him talking about his cameos and how well everyone (at least on the set and the production group) treated him.

And if I'm not mistaken he and other Marvel writers always had credits in the movies.

Who knows if Disney management reached out to his family after his death.

I'm sure he was making some big $$$ from all the various production/toy companies over the years.