Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 9/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Good luck!!

 

22 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Well how did it go 

 

15 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Are you in love with it yet?

 

 

Well, "Penny" is home!

2k85M5p.jpg

Landed in JAX Saturday at noon, took an uber to St. Mary's, Ga and did the deal. Took off about 2, yesterday and got home noon today. 

Initially made it 30 miles and thought it was hard to keep rolling.  Found 70 psi in all 6 tires, got them up aired up to 90 and major improvement.  Drove another few miles and started hearing knocking on the roof. Climbed up and found Spanish moss had gathered on the satellite cable wires  and was making them slap on the roof.  Otherwise smooth trip home!

Got if from an owner who had a divorce situation and needed out if it.  Made a deal for about 15k under current values.  Needs minor TLC in a few things but is in overall great shape. 

My wife LOVES it. She relaxed, got drinks, read at the dinette, used the bathroom and took a nap or two in the recliner co pilot chair.  

Initially I missed the speed of the 6.7 dually but quickly made up for it by not stopping every 2 hours (or less) for her and with 500 miles of range (estimate) we only made 2 stops other than sleeping.  Definitely a huge increase in comfort and travel time that wasn't initially apparent that I am very surprised at.

The strangest thing was sleeping in a Cracker Barrel last night and not ever getting out of the vehicle.   Turned off the engine,  cranked the generator for some ac and went to bed.  In the morning I got up, washed up and took off. Very strange feeling not having to do extra chores or pack lunches and cooler for the truck. 

As someone else said, I felt much less tired from not having to watch the trailer all the time and the ride was so much better....no jerking, bouncing etc. 

There was some wind sway in GA, it was very windy yesterday afternoon on the way up but calmed down later in the evening.   I've read about something called the "cheap handling fix" that I'm going to try before I buy anything.

On another note, I initially felt very venerable for some reason. The MoHo has 22.5 wheels and no spare and if it stops needs a big tow truck.  Something to think about moving forward.  

Time will tell, but so far really liking it!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

 

 

 

 

Well, "Penny" is home!

2k85M5p.jpg

Landed in JAX Saturday at noon, took an uber to St. Mary's, Ga and did the deal. Took off about 2, yesterday and got home noon today. 

Initially made it 30 miles and thought it was hard to keep rolling.  Found 70 psi in all 6 tires, got them up aired up to 90 and major improvement.  Drove another few miles and started hearing knocking on the roof. Climbed up and found Spanish moss had gathered on the satellite cable wires  and was making them slap on the roof.  Otherwise smooth trip home!

Got if from an owner who had a divorce situation and needed out if it.  Made a deal for about 15k under current values.  Needs minor TLC in a few things but is in overall great shape. 

My wife LOVES it. She relaxed, got drinks, read at the dinette, used the bathroom and took a nap or two in the recliner co pilot chair.  

Initially I missed the speed of the 6.7 dually but quickly made up for it by not stopping every 2 hours (or less) for her and with 500 miles of range (estimate) we only made 2 stops other than sleeping.  Definitely a huge increase in comfort and travel time that wasn't initially apparent that I am very surprised at.

The strangest thing was sleeping in a Cracker Barrel last night and not ever getting out of the vehicle.   Turned off the engine,  cranked the generator for some ac and went to bed.  In the morning I got up, washed up and took off. Very strange feeling not having to do extra chores or pack lunches and cooler for the truck. 

As someone else said, I felt much less tired from not having to watch the trailer all the time and the ride was so much better....no jerking, bouncing etc. 

There was some wind sway in GA, it was very windy yesterday afternoon on the way up but calmed down later in the evening.   I've read about something called the "cheap handling fix" that I'm going to try before I buy anything.

On another note, I initially felt very venerable for some reason. The MoHo has 22.5 wheels and no spare and if it stops needs a big tow truck.  Something to think about moving forward.  

Time will tell, but so far really liking it!

 

 

Thanks for updating us!  I'm always curious to hear comments from those who made the switch from towable to driveable.   Glad you enjoyed the first drive... here's to many more!  Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats - sounds like a great fit all around! Glad things went so smoothly.

 

re: tire changing, funny story...

One of my most memorable childhood family vacation stories is the time my parents rented a MH to take us 3 kids and my grandparents to FL. Somewhere in NC with Mom driving, we blew a tire.  It was an inside tire and Mom drove a school bus for a bunch of years, so that part was really no big deal.  She got us safely to the side of the road, we flagged someone down (this is pre-cell phones) so my dad could get to the nearest pay phone to call a tow truck.  A van full of people pulled over with an a/c unit out the side and a big recliner in the back.  (My sister and I still joke that we never thought we'd see dad again)

It eventually took 3 trucks to change the tire... the first one they sent was too small.  The second one got stuck in the soft shoulder.  The third one came, pulled the 2nd one out and changed the time quickly and easily.

Running family joke is "how many tow trucks does it take to change a tire in NC?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations. I'm sure you will have some good times with the new MH.

 

5 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Running family joke is "how many tow trucks does it take to change a tire in NC?"

Now, now be nice. Some of us live here you know.

Of course I still haven't figured out how I'm suppose to know where to turn when I don't know where the old Mt. Olive Church use to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keith_h said:

Now, now be nice. Some of us live here you know.

Of course I still haven't figured out how I'm suppose to know where to turn when I don't know where the old Mt. Olive Church use to be.

LOL!

It could have been any state really - just happened to be NC.

Directions around here are very similar.  If you don't know where "the weird looking tree" is, you'll probably miss that left turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Wow, that rig barely fits in the picture. You might need a bigger camera now. Lol

Congrats and let the excitement begin.

If definitely doesn't fit in the garage! 

Thanks and we can't wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, keith_h said:

Congratulations. I'm sure you will have some good times with the new MH.

 

Now, now be nice. Some of us live here you know.

Of course I still haven't figured out how I'm suppose to know where to turn when I don't know where the old Mt. Olive Church use to be.

Now, now, remember some of us are FROM here you know...   :ROFLMAO-1:  Everyone knows that the old Mt. Olive Church is just beyond that old oak tree on the other side of the that big 'ole curve in the road where the old school used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you have a chance, crawl underneath and check the rear anti-sway bar bushings...  When we brought ours home from the mountains last week, I was doing my usual checks and noticed the the rubber factory bushings were shot.  One was completely gone and the other crumbled in my hands once I removed it.  Not sure what year you have, but ours is a 2009 with 26,000 miles.

I replaced the bushings with polyurethane from Roadmaster.  Huge improvement on the body roll when driving through curves and when passing semi trucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duane said:

Now, now, remember some of us are FROM here you know...   :ROFLMAO-1:  Everyone knows that the old Mt. Olive Church is just beyond that old oak tree on the other side of the that big 'ole curve in the road where the old school used to be.

When I was doing telephone work in rural areas, that was the kind of directions we used to get on the work orders!  Turn right at the road where the red barn used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Travisma said:

When I was doing telephone work in rural areas, that was the kind of directions we used to get on the work orders!  Turn right at the road where the red barn used to be.

Sounds familiar around these parts still.  "Turn at the field with the stone wall..."

Um, this is New England. You can't throw a rock without hitting a stone wall. (pun intended)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 9:15 AM, Duane said:

Now, now, remember some of us are FROM here you know...   :ROFLMAO-1:  Everyone knows that the old Mt. Olive Church is just beyond that old oak tree on the other side of the that big 'ole curve in the road where the old school used to be.

Well that clears the whole thing up then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, 

Whos' keeping a log on repairs?

First issue...vac flush toilet. someone replaced it with a gravity unit because they are 1/3 price.  Need a dometic 5006 replacement, and only 2 distributors in US sell them on-line.  $600 so far. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...