37 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Yep.  Was looking at Jan/Feb availability 2 months ago and it was already hard to find any, especially on the weekends.

Locals usually start arriving on Thurs and many times the same people.. Saw that week after week when we were staying there.

Yeah as a local who camps at the Fort frequently we have learned recently that we need to book all the trips we want for the entire year as soon as we can. Worse case scenario we cancel the trips we decide not to take (which never happens ) however we learned many others do the same thing with some of them canceling. Plus there are several “travel agents “ (quotes intentional ) who book up sites as soon as they become available .. it’s crazy .. we learned that recently with how at 499 days out Halloween week in 2020 was booked up in seconds . Very frustrating and disappointing 

7 hours ago, Cheftjpeck said:

Yeah as a local who camps at the Fort frequently we have learned recently that we need to book all the trips we want for the entire year as soon as we can. Worse case scenario we cancel the trips we decide not to take (which never happens ) however we learned many others do the same thing with some of them canceling. Plus there are several “travel agents “ (quotes intentional ) who book up sites as soon as they become available .. it’s crazy .. we learned that recently with how at 499 days out Halloween week in 2020 was booked up in seconds . Very frustrating and disappointing 

And as Mo said, I would too.  The same applies at many of the popular State Parks around the country.. The people who can and do go multiple weekends a month, make their reservations ASAP.  A prime example is when they plan the GG at Defeated Creek if you even think about going you need to make the reservation almost as soon as the window opens to be close to the group since those are the prime sites..

6 hours ago, Campingdad said:

Super frustrating trying to plan vacations with the kiddos. Doggone it.

It is. A lot of Ohios state park campgrounds removed walk in sites this year. Many of the campgrounds here are very hard to get into. I have had better luck at booking the Fort vs Mohican State Park. Its crazy.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

And as Mo said, I would too.  The same applies at many of the popular State Parks around the country.. The people who can and do go multiple weekends a month, make their reservations ASAP.  

Yep - that's true of the really popular state parks up this way too. They tend to be smaller, so not so many sites to begin with, and a lot cheaper, which makes them really popular.  And if they happen to be on a body of water, they get snapped up pretty much as soon as the booking window opens.

A few months ago we tried to find availability at a Cape Cod state park on the water for September - after Labor Day so off season - and couldn't get anything until the very end of the month. And even then we couldn't get 2 full weekends in a row.

Ditto trying to book a VA Beach state park for October - nothing until the  very end of the month and again no 2 weekends in a row.

I know we squawk about availability at the Fort, but they're not unique.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

And as Mo said, I would too.  The same applies at many of the popular State Parks around the country..

We have the same problem around here with State Parks in the central to western part of the state. Part of our issue is the number of parks that have electrical or full hookup is not that large. Adding to the problem is many of the parks without any type of hookups also lack dump stations which I think stops many RV folks from visiting them. We've been fortunate that one of our favorite parks while only an hour and a half away has remained undiscovered so we can almost always get a site at the last minute. Our other favorite park we need to plan for months ahead of time unless it is winter. Much like the Fort during the week there are plenty of sites but it's booked solid for the weekends.    

I think that booking sites at most campgrounds is going to get worse before they get better.

RVing took off after the fuel prices dropped, and people discovered that they could live at a campground in their big RV's with all the comforts of home.

Spaces got snapped up as more and more sites got web sites on the interweb which allowed people to book on line instead of the old fashioned booking by phone or mail.

Coupled with municipalities blocking new campgrounds being built, plus the high cost of construction and insurance coverage, existing campgrounds are being inundated with visitors.

And of course most government run campgrounds are a lot less expensive than privately owned ones.

13 hours ago, Beckers said:

We make our reservations 2 years out for the campground we like in NJ. I already have 2021 booked (and I currently don’t have anything to camp in 😂😂😂)

Start checking Walmart I am sure tents must be on clearance by now seeing the Christmas decorations are out :ROFLMAO-1: