The Haunted House Will Not Be at The Fort this Year

Over on a Fort Halloween FB Group, the Fort Management has told the folks that usually put up the walkthrough Haunted Mansion Haunted House that they can not set it up any longer. Something about free standing structures, and other such bull.

New this year "Haunted Easy up Dessert Party"  $99 per person.  All the cupcakes you can eat. Space is limited . Hurry and schedule your 15-minute time slot!  Camping chairs available for an additional $69 charge.  For only $99 more you can keep the special commemorative chair.

When we were there last week they had just completed a lot of plantings along he entry road to the 16/1900 loops.  It appears to me that the big Christmas display in the 1800 loop will have lost some space to set stuff up.

Maybe they are cutting back on all the big displays that folks bring

50 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Could also be a safety/liability issue. If they assemble a free standing structure and it falls on someone who gets blamed.. The Mouse.. 

The posts mention that management checked the structure last year and approved.  The biggest complaint from the people that set it up ( and other backers) is that they wished they were told last year that it wouldn’t be allowed this year.  I guess they have spent a lot of time and $$$ over the year on improvements and were just told last week they couldn’t have it this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, Travisma said:

The biggest complaint from the people that set it up ( and other backers) is that they wished they were told last year that it wouldn’t be allowed this year.  I guess they have spent a lot of time and $$$ over the year on improvements and were just told last week they couldn’t have it this year.

Oh, ouch...that would stink.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:24 PM, tim5055 said:

When we were there last week they had just completed a lot of plantings along he entry road to the 16/1900 loops.  It appears to me that the big Christmas display in the 1800 loop will have lost some space to set stuff up.

We love that display.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

An update, the new rules will allow elaborate displays, but no more walkthroughs. Everything must be viewable without guests actually walking onto your site

Traffic jams from people getting out of their carts?   Liability if somebody trips?  

On 10/5/2019 at 5:02 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

An update, the new rules will allow elaborate displays, but no more walkthroughs. Everything must be viewable without guests actually walking onto your site

I thought that when they changed the decorating rules a few years back one of the changes was no walkthroughs - or am I imagining that?  

22 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Exactly, or liability of people walking through non-inspected "structures"

I have to think that was a big consideration.  Guest trips over a cord or whatever and gets injured, and Disney gets blamed/sued for allowing the display.

9 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I thought that when they changed the decorating rules a few years back one of the changes was no walkthroughs - or am I imagining that?  

X-2  I had the same impression and everything had to be on "your site" and that definitely was not the case, it was very spread out.

13 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

X-2  I had the same impression and everything had to be on "your site" and that definitely was not the case, it was very spread out.

It was bugging me so I did some digging. Thread from 2014 says no cords in walkways, all decorations ON your site.  Doesn't specifically say no walk thrus, so maybe I imagined that part but could have sworn that was a thing.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, Travisma said:

The biggest complaint from the people that set it up ( and other backers) is that they wished they were told last year that it wouldn’t be allowed this year.  I guess they have spent a lot of time and $$$ over the year on improvements and were just told last week they couldn’t have it this year.

That does stink. Back when the last big decorating rule change happened there was a similar complaint that people didn't find out until they got there - and had already spent months working on the displays. We were there Nov 2014 and the folks with the big Christmas display had to do a bunch of work after it was setup to accommodate the "shut it down by 10pm" rule.

• 4 weeks later...

The main reason these structures aren't allowed this year is due to an incident last year involving a fight in Cinnamon Fern Way resulting in a serious issue. Due to an elaborate display, first responders couldn't arrive to the scene in a timely manner. Also avoiding a lawsuit in case a structure falls on someone. We had to cut our display back. New rules state no standing structures, and that decor can't be closer than 3 feet to the road. Unfortunately that means the death of my friends' haunted house. They put so much into that to give guests a good experience. Unfortunately they got called by the GM of Fort and they couldn't set it up. The same for the folks that set up the campfire sing along. It's unfortunately the new rules we have to live with for the time being.

11 hours ago, FortNick03 said:

The main reason these structures aren't allowed this year is due to an incident last year involving a fight in Cinnamon Fern Way resulting in a serious issue. Due to an elaborate display, first responders couldn't arrive to the scene in a timely manner. Also avoiding a lawsuit in case a structure falls on someone. We had to cut our display back. New rules state no standing structures, and that decor can't be closer than 3 feet to the road. Unfortunately that means the death of my friends' haunted house. They put so much into that to give guests a good experience. Unfortunately they got called by the GM of Fort and they couldn't set it up. The same for the folks that set up the campfire sing along. It's unfortunately the new rules we have to live with for the time being.

Makes sense but still a major bummer.  It was an awesome display.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

We haven't been to the Fort on Halloween in a few years (being rectified in 2020), but was it that the display was in the road (seems odd anyone would do that) or the crowds of trick or treaters and golf carts that made it hard for first responders to get to the problem?

Not sure what specifically the issue was - the display was well on the actual sites, not in the road at all - but I can tell you that trying to get around that loop just with a golf cart was next to impossible.  There were carts parked all over the road on both sides and people just everywhere.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

We haven't been to the Fort on Halloween in a few years (being rectified in 2020), but was it that the display was in the road (seems odd anyone would do that) or the crowds of trick or treaters and golf carts that made it hard for first responders to get to the problem?

No the decor wasn't in the road. It was the day before Halloween so no Trick or Treaters around thank God. The decor was too close to the street for the wide fire trucks and ambulances to safely pass.

17 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Not sure what specifically the issue was - the display was well on the actual sites, not in the road at all - but I can tell you that trying to get around that loop just with a golf cart was next to impossible.  There were carts parked all over the road on both sides and people just everywhere.

Personally I don't thinks carts should be allowed in the loops during the trick or treat hours.

Last time we took our grandkids (and they were old enough to watch out for carts) we were nervous wrecks with the carts driving their kids from site to site so they didn't have to walk.

It was wall to wall people in some of the loops.

We saw lots of near misses between carts and the littler kids that would just dart out when something caught their eye.

If I remember correctly, I think there was an incident with a cart hitting a kid last year that led to a brawl.

58 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Personally I don't thinks carts should be allowed in the loops during the trick or treat hours.

Last time we took our grandkids (and they were old enough to watch out for carts) we were nervous wrecks with the carts driving their kids from site to site so they didn't have to walk.

It was wall to wall people in some of the loops.

We saw lots of near misses between carts and the littler kids that would just dart out when something caught their eye.

If I remember correctly, I think there was an incident with a cart hitting a kid last year that led to a brawl.

That brawl was what i was referring to that the first responders couldn't get in. It was the might before halloween, though. People like my dad need the golf cart, though. He has a bad back and knee and can't walk my brother through the loops, and an ECV wont go fast enough to get from loop to loop. Maybe new rules, but not a total ban. 

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Management saw it as a fire hazard. All those lights and decor plugged in to the same small electrical pole. If a fire starts at the Fort, it's deadly. Also, guests walking through a guest built amusement is a lawsuit waiting to happen if they were to be hurt or if it were to collapse. Collene and Amy (couple who run the haunted house) were called 6 weeks in advance and were warned. Disney isnt playing with this.

4 hours ago, FortNick03 said:

That brawl was what i was referring to that the first responders couldn't get in. It was the might before halloween, though. People like my dad need the golf cart, though. He has a bad back and knee and can't walk my brother through the loops, and an ECV wont go fast enough to get from loop to loop. Maybe new rules, but not a total ban. 

What gripes me is the kid or kids getting on and off the cart between every site that is ridiculous....if they are that lazy they should just stay at home...