Jump to content
Travisma

18-State Toll Transponder

Recommended Posts

I don't know if this has ever been posted on here.

I know there's been discussions in the past on what transponder works where, but this covers a good chunk of the east coast (where it seems most of the tolls are anyway).

I just learned about it last week when something popped up in a FB feed, but it's been around for almost a year!

Don't know why it wasn't publicized more.

Looks like I'll be retiring my Sun Pass.

 

Central Florida Expressway Authority Launches 18-State Toll Transponder Called E-PASS Xtra

  • November 16, 2018

The Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFX) announces the launch of a new portable electronic toll transponder that enables drivers to travel toll roads across 18 states, including Florida, using one transponder and one account.

Called E-PASS Xtra, it’s CFX response to the Moving Ahead for Progress in 21st Century Act (MAP-21), which requires all U.S. highway toll facilities to adopt interoperable technologies or best practices so drivers can travel across toll roads without the need to change transponders or open new accounts.

“While the goal was to advance interoperability, E-PASS Xtra was designed to create efficiencies by making toll travel easier for the millions who travel to and from Florida each year,” said Laura Kelley, executive director of the Central Florida Expressway Authority. “With E-PASS Xtra, customers can pass through tolling points in 18 states without needing multiple toll transponders. Plus, they get the convenience of having to manage only one prepaid toll account.”

According to Visit Florida, nearly half of Florida’s domestic visitors come from mid-Atlantic, northeastern and midwestern states, with about 50 percent traveling by car.

E-PASS Xtra is interoperable with Florida’s SunPass and LeeWay, Georgia PeachPass, North Carolina QuickPass, RiverLink, I-PASS and EZ-PASS. The 18 compatible states include:  Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky.

E-PASS Xtra features include:

  • Portable electronic device for multiple cars,
  • Works on motorcycles,
  • Offers toll discounts for frequent users on CFX roads,
  • Auto-pay at Orlando International Airport, and
  • One account with no monthly fees.

E-PASS Xtra is available (1) online at www.EPASSXtra.com, (2) by calling 1-800-353-7277 Mondays – Fridays 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. or (3) in person at the E-PASS Service Center at 762 S. Goldenrod Rd., Orlando, FL 32822 on Mondays – Fridays 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. E-PASS Xtra costs $18.50 plus tax and requires an E-PASS account with a minimum of $10 in prepaid tolls.

CFX entered an agreement with the E-ZPass Group in fall 2017 that laid the groundwork for E-PASS Xtra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So will my EZ pass transponder from PA work in Florida or do I need a Florida E Pass extra transponder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

So will my EZ pass transponder from PA work in Florida or do I need a Florida E Pass extra transponder?

I can't copy the picture, but here is the link where your PA EZ Pass will work

https://www.paturnpike.com/pdfs/tolls/IAG_E-ZPASS_MAP.pdf

It does say it'll work in FL only on the CFX roads which is the Beachline and something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

So will my EZ pass transponder from PA work in Florida or do I need a Florida E Pass extra transponder?

I would expect it to work on some roads. The Central Florida Expressway Authority says they accept EZ Pass for their roads around Orlando but no other Florida toll roads do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.  We’re from Georgia and have a Peach Pass....but Florida keeps sending us bills because our truck has the transponder, not the 5th wheel, so they get confused with the tag on the RV (can’t figure out how to add the RV to the Peach Pass...not sure it can be done).

 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:21 AM, ImDownWithDisney said:

We use EZ Pass which works with the Peach Pass. Sadly, I can't use the express lanes on I75 south out of the ATL when pulling my camper. I do love not having to get in those long holiday lines at the toll booths.

Yep.  Soooo frustrating some trips 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 10:24 AM, Travisma said:

I can't copy the picture, but here is the link where your PA EZ Pass will work

https://www.paturnpike.com/pdfs/tolls/IAG_E-ZPASS_MAP.pdf

It does say it'll work in FL only on the CFX roads which is the Beachline and something else.

The CFX roads would be the Beachline (528), 408, and the 417 starting in Orange County and south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 8:16 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Interesting.  We’re from Georgia and have a Peach Pass....but Florida keeps sending us bills because our truck has the transponder, not the 5th wheel, so they get confused with the tag on the RV (can’t figure out how to add the RV to the Peach Pass...not sure it can be done).

 

I'm not sure about Georgia but the NC Quick Pass system I didn't have to register my trailer it reads the truck's transponder and bills based on axle count. I haven't tried it in Florida yet but we had no problems going up to New England. It sounds like Florida isn't reading your transponder. Possibly a dumb question but are you sure yours is working or compatible with Florida's system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 8:16 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Interesting.  We’re from Georgia and have a Peach Pass....but Florida keeps sending us bills because our truck has the transponder, not the 5th wheel, so they get confused with the tag on the RV (can’t figure out how to add the RV to the Peach Pass...not sure it can be done).

 

Yep.  Soooo frustrating some trips 😕

 

Maybe because all it can see is the trailer tag?

Additional States

Your Peach Pass also offers reliable travel times in Florida and North Carolina, giving you access to more than 750 miles of toll roads throughout these southeastern states. Your Peach Pass allows you to pay the lower SunPass rates in Florida and NC Quick Pass rates in North Carolina.

 

How it works

Peach Pass Personal Toll Account Holders
If you have a Peach Pass Personal Toll Account, you can access toll roads in Florida and North Carolina without taking any additional action.

 

Your Peach Pass must be tied to a valid and current license plate. Check your account online at www.mypeachpass.com or contact the Customer Service Center to ensure the correct license plate is listed and all payment information up to date.

 

Pay n Go! Peach Pass Account Holders
If you have a Pay n Go! Peach Pass Account, you must convert to a Personal Toll Account before you use your pass in Florida or North Carolina.

 

Contact the Customer Service Center to for assistance in converting. As an additional benefit, you receive $5 in toll credits when converting your Pay n Go! Peach Pass Account to a Personal Toll Account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Travisma said:

 

Maybe because all it can see is the trailer tag?

Additional States

Your Peach Pass also offers reliable travel times in Florida and North Carolina, giving you access to more than 750 miles of toll roads throughout these southeastern states. Your Peach Pass allows you to pay the lower SunPass rates in Florida and NC Quick Pass rates in North Carolina.

 

How it works

Peach Pass Personal Toll Account Holders
If you have a Peach Pass Personal Toll Account, you can access toll roads in Florida and North Carolina without taking any additional action.

 

Your Peach Pass must be tied to a valid and current license plate. Check your account online at www.mypeachpass.com or contact the Customer Service Center to ensure the correct license plate is listed and all payment information up to date.

 

Pay n Go! Peach Pass Account Holders
If you have a Pay n Go! Peach Pass Account, you must convert to a Personal Toll Account before you use your pass in Florida or North Carolina.

 

Contact the Customer Service Center to for assistance in converting. As an additional benefit, you receive $5 in toll credits when converting your Pay n Go! Peach Pass Account to a Personal Toll Account.

If it can read the transponder there shouldn't be a need to see the plate or send a bill (assuming the account has money in it). You can't see my truck plate when the trailer is attached and I've never had any problem using toll roads with my transponder. One thing I did read is the Georgia transponder won't work on windshields that use metallic coatings  so it is something to consider. For those they say you need to use a bumper mounted transponder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, keith_h said:

I'm not sure about Georgia but the NC Quick Pass system I didn't have to register my trailer it reads the truck's transponder and bills based on axle count. I haven't tried it in Florida yet but we had no problems going up to New England. It sounds like Florida isn't reading your transponder. Possibly a dumb question but are you sure yours is working or compatible with Florida's system?

Pretty sure as we've been charged when going through tolls without the camper.

 

15 hours ago, Travisma said:

Maybe because all it can see is the trailer tag?

 

I imagine so... but the transponder is on the front windshield, so I figured that's where it grabbed it from.  I keep telling Tom to cover up the RV tag when we get close to the turnpike, either that or write a big note that says:  PEACH PASS :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 6:14 AM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Pretty sure as we've been charged when going through tolls without the camper.

 

I imagine so... but the transponder is on the front windshield, so I figured that's where it grabbed it from.  I keep telling Tom to cover up the RV tag when we get close to the turnpike, either that or write a big note that says:  PEACH PASS :))

I don't know how the Georgia website works, but on the FL Sunpass website, I can add the trailer tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I don't know how the Georgia website works, but on the FL Sunpass website, I can add the trailer tag.

The only thing I can figure... is GA doesn't allow it, because you're not allowed to pull a camper in the toll lanes.  What stinks, is we bought the silly thing, to (primarily) use while we're in FL.  Put $50 on it and now I keep getting a bill from FL.  Guess we'll just need to buy a Sunpass (or the 18 state transponder).  Probably the easiest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

The only thing I can figure... is GA doesn't allow it, because you're not allowed to pull a camper in the toll lanes.  What stinks, is we bought the silly thing, to (primarily) use while we're in FL.  Put $50 on it and now I keep getting a bill from FL.  Guess we'll just need to buy a Sunpass (or the 18 state transponder).  Probably the easiest.

If I remember correctly the FL Turnpike only accepts the SUN PASS or the EZ Pass Plus (or what ever the 18 state is) if that is where you're getting your bills from.  They don't recognize the standard EZ Pass which is good on the other Toll roads such as 429, 417 and 408.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most confusing things is tolls in Florida... The majority of the country has figured tolls out, join EZ-Pass - No, Florida has to do their own thing and confused it while doing it. So, understand there are multiple toll agencies in Florida. The two you will deal with the most are the Florida Turnpike System (their toll transponder is called SunPass) and the Central Florida Expressway Authority (their transponder is called E-Pass). But, the Central Florida Expressway Authority accepts both EZ-Pass and the Florida SunPass.

 

So, those of us who have an EZ-Pass account from out of state can't do everything with EZ-Pass.

 

So, what do we do? Well, originally I just broke down and purchased a SunPass. When traveling the Florida Turnpike/429 to Disney this will work the entire route. But, if you have an EZ-Pass you must put it in the RF cellophane bag to keep from getting “double billed” when you travel on Central Florida Turnpike Authority roads. Their toll plazas will read both tags and bill both.

 

So, if you don't have a SunPass as you travel south on the Florida Turnpike stop at the first turnpike service plaza (Okahumpka Service Plaza Mile marker 299 on the turnpike). They have a toll pass vending machine or you can purchase the pass at the plaza store.

 

The SunPass comes in two styles, a stick on pass that can not be moved from vehicle to vehicle or a plastic transponder with suction cups that can be moved from car to car. Once you have your transponder you need to set up an account. They have you covered here as well. You can either use the free WiFi at the service plaza with your device to set up the account or they have an account kiosk that you can use. You will need to “deposit” funds in your account, but you can use a credit card to do this.

 

Now, I have changed. The Central Florida Expressway Authority has now come out with an E-Pass Xtra. The Xtra is EZ-Pass. So, this one pass will cover all tolls in Florida, the few tolls in Georgia, the few tolls in North Carolina and the 18 EZ-Pass states.

 

You can set up “limits” on the account, so lets say when you account gets to a $10 balance they can automatically charge your card for XX dollars to bring it back up.

 

 

https://www.cfxway.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 8:26 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

If I remember correctly the FL Turnpike only accepts the SUN PASS or the EZ Pass Plus (or what ever the 18 state is) if that is where you're getting your bills from.  They don't recognize the standard EZ Pass which is good on the other Toll roads such as 429, 417 and 408.

Thank you.

 

16 hours ago, tim5055 said:

One of the most confusing things is tolls in Florida... The majority of the country has figured tolls out, join EZ-Pass - No, Florida has to do their own thing and confused it while doing it. So, understand there are multiple toll agencies in Florida. The two you will deal with the most are the Florida Turnpike System (their toll transponder is called SunPass) and the Central Florida Expressway Authority (their transponder is called E-Pass). But, the Central Florida Expressway Authority accepts both EZ-Pass and the Florida SunPass.

 

So, those of us who have an EZ-Pass account from out of state can't do everything with EZ-Pass.

 

So, what do we do? Well, originally I just broke down and purchased a SunPass. When traveling the Florida Turnpike/429 to Disney this will work the entire route. But, if you have an EZ-Pass you must put it in the RF cellophane bag to keep from getting “double billed” when you travel on Central Florida Turnpike Authority roads. Their toll plazas will read both tags and bill both.

 

So, if you don't have a SunPass as you travel south on the Florida Turnpike stop at the first turnpike service plaza (Okahumpka Service Plaza Mile marker 299 on the turnpike). They have a toll pass vending machine or you can purchase the pass at the plaza store.

 

The SunPass comes in two styles, a stick on pass that can not be moved from vehicle to vehicle or a plastic transponder with suction cups that can be moved from car to car. Once you have your transponder you need to set up an account. They have you covered here as well. You can either use the free WiFi at the service plaza with your device to set up the account or they have an account kiosk that you can use. You will need to “deposit” funds in your account, but you can use a credit card to do this.

 

Now, I have changed. The Central Florida Expressway Authority has now come out with an E-Pass Xtra. The Xtra is EZ-Pass. So, this one pass will cover all tolls in Florida, the few tolls in Georgia, the few tolls in North Carolina and the 18 EZ-Pass states.

 

You can set up “limits” on the account, so lets say when you account gets to a $10 balance they can automatically charge your card for XX dollars to bring it back up.

 

 

https://www.cfxway.com/

 

Good tips, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...