We have some friends visiting from out of state and they would like to see some decorations. They will be here from 12-5 through 12-8. We were thinking of driving over and renting a cart to tour the loops. We stayed in the campground last year, 12-13 through 12-18 and most of the decorations were set up already. Wondering if there will be anything to see on the 8th or is it too early?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Country Coach Guy said:

Thank you much! I'd hate to pay $67 for a cart and just see a lot of dark! LOL

Who knows, the decoration Grinches might be in overdrive enforcing their new rules by then and ban everything other than 1 string of awning lights (non blinking) that must be turned off by 10:00 !

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Who knows, the decoration Grinches might be in overdrive enforcing their new rules by then and ban everything other than 1 string of awning lights (non blinking) that must be turned off by 10:00 !

Have they been talking about that? I'd be surprised since it's such a "thing" but hey, it's Disney and well, enough said.....

Just now, Country Coach Guy said:

Have they been talking about that? I'd be surprised since it's such a "thing" but hey, it's Disney and well, enough said.....

There is a thread about this years Halloween Decorations being cut back.  Some rules that previously weren't being enforced now are.

It's been 2 or 3 years since they posted about the decorations being turned off at 10.  Again it's one of those hit or miss enforcements.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

It's been 2 or 3 years since they posted about the decorations being turned off at 10.  Again it's one of those hit or miss enforcements.

I think it's actually been even longer than that (4-5 years?).  We were there right after that rule went in effect and it was hit or miss enforcement even then.

We haven't been during the holidays since 2016 but it was our go-to time for a bunch of years prior to that.  Not sure about the last couple of years, but we'd noticed there were a good bit fewer Christmas decorations than there were when we first started going that time of year (2006).

On the flipside, it seems like Halloween decorations have increased by quite a lot over those 10 years.

24 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I think it's actually been even longer than that (4-5 years?).  We were there right after that rule went in effect and it was hit or miss enforcement even then.

We haven't been during the holidays since 2016 but it was our go-to time for a bunch of years prior to that.  Not sure about the last couple of years, but we'd noticed there were a good bit fewer Christmas decorations than there were when we first started going that time of year (2006).

On the flipside, it seems like Halloween decorations have increased by quite a lot over those 10 years.

It does seem like Halloween is much more decorated than Christmas.

But last year we went over on the boat in December and walked around and there were some pretty big Christmas displays.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

But last year we went over on the boat in December and walked around and there were some pretty big Christmas displays.

That's great to hear!

And yeah, the trend for quite a while now has been more and more Halloween decorations.  I'd say there have been more than Christmas now for quite a while.

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I also think it is due to the fact that many locals spend extended time for Halloween at the FORT vs Christmas as the rates are a little lower.

I don't know why it surprises me but I had no idea there was decorations at Halloween. We stayed a week last year before Christmas and there were a lot of decorations then, in my mind anyway. Can't imagine what it would be like with more. I wonder if the mouse would let me bring my own cart over just to drive the loops during the Halloween festivities, even if I wasn't staying. My guess would be no. That would just add another vehicle and trailer to the overflow lot. 

28 minutes ago, Country Coach Guy said:

I don't know why it surprises me but I had no idea there was decorations at Halloween. We stayed a week last year before Christmas and there were a lot of decorations then, in my mind anyway. Can't imagine what it would be like with more. I wonder if the mouse would let me bring my own cart over just to drive the loops during the Halloween festivities, even if I wasn't staying. My guess would be no. That would just add another vehicle and trailer to the overflow lot. 

Most of the bigger decorated sites will be set up about a week before Halloween, or at the very least the weekend before.

You might be able to get in around those times if you say you're going to Trails End for dinner, or better yet get a reservation for lunch or dinner then they would definitely let you in.

You really shouldn't try to go over on Halloween itself with a golf cart.  The loops are wall to wall people with kids darting all over the place.  Personally, I think they should block carts from the loops on Halloween night and restrict them to the main roads.

Since the loop Trick or Treating is not a Disney event, they will probably never do that because it might upset some guests.

But I think it was last year or the year before, there was an incident with someone getting bumped by a cart and then a fight ensued.  There may or may not have been adult beverages involved.

Most of the bigger decorated sites will be set up about a week before Halloween, or at the very least the weekend before.

You might be able to get in around those times if you say you're going to Trails End for dinner, or better yet get a reservation for lunch or dinner then they would definitely let you in.

You really shouldn't try to go over on Halloween itself with a golf cart.  The loops are wall to wall people with kids darting all over the place.  Personally, I think they should block carts from the loops on Halloween night and restrict them to the main roads.

Since the loop Trick or Treating is not a Disney event, they will probably never do that because it might upset some guests.

But I think it was last year or the year before, there was an incident with someone getting bumped by a cart and then a fight ensued.  There may or may not have been adult beverages involved.

Would never, ever go on Halloween much as I would never ever go on Christmas day!

15 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I also think it is due to the fact that many locals spend extended time for Halloween at the FORT vs Christmas as the rates are a little lower.

That makes sense

1 hour ago, Country Coach Guy said:

I don't know why it surprises me but I had no idea there was decorations at Halloween. ...I wonder if the mouse would let me bring my own cart over just to drive the loops during the Halloween festivities, even if I wasn't staying. My guess would be no. That would just add another vehicle and trailer to the overflow lot. 

Halloween has become THE time to be at the Fort and the decorations outpaced Christmas a while back and seem to just keep growing.  Some of the displays are pretty amazing. Where Christmas can be lots of lights and blowups, Halloween really seems to bring out the super creative in people.

My guess is you're right about the cart, especially around Halloween when the place is already full and crazy. And ON Halloween... fuggeddaboutit

Since Halloween has gotten so busy over the years, it seems like every year there's at least an incident or 2.

And my guess is some of them definitely involve adult beverages.

...You're supposed to register at the bike barn if you're participating and "Camp & Treat" is on the activities calendar.

30 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

...You're supposed to register at the bike barn if you're participating and "Camp & Treat" is on the activities calendar.

True, but it's not a sponsored Disney event.

It's just an allowed activity by the campers.

They try to make it more organized, but I bet 75% of the sites don't register and just give out candy.

44 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Fixed it.

For the record, we've never "registered" and I'm not sure anyone I know ever has either.

Us....and so did Bill and Christina... So some of us followed the rules.....:P

We used to see numerous signs on sites the morning before T or T...  Also T or T has been listed as an activity at the other Resorts so I don't know how it isn't DISNEY sponsored.

This is from the Grand Floridian several years ago:   4-7:30

HALLOWEEN.jpeg

Halloween Activities

Most Disney resorts will have some special complimentary Halloween activities for guests on Halloween day that include a costume contest, spooky arts and crafts, special showings of Halloween movies at the resort pool or beach areas and possibly even trick-or-treating. Things really get jumping at Fort Wilderness Cabins and Campground. Highlights take place October 30 and 31, with a decorated Halloween Golf Cart Parade and a Camp Site & Cabin Decorating Contest. It’s well worth the visit to Fort Wilderness sometime mid-October or later to see some of the elaborate decorations campers have on display.

2 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Us....and so did Bill and Christina... So some of use followed the rules.....:P

We used to see numerous signs on sites the morning before T or T...  Also it T or T has been listed as an activity at the other Resorts so I don't know how it isn't DISNEY sponsored.

This is from the Grand Floridian several years ago:   4-7:30

HALLOWEEN.jpeg

Halloween Activities

Most Disney resorts will have some special complimentary Halloween activities for guests on Halloween day that include a costume contest, spooky arts and crafts, special showings of Halloween movies at the resort pool or beach areas and possibly even trick-or-treating. Things really get jumping at Fort Wilderness Cabins and Campground. Highlights take place October 30 and 31, with a decorated Halloween Golf Cart Parade and a Camp Site & Cabin Decorating Contest. It’s well worth the visit to Fort Wilderness sometime mid-October or later to see some of the elaborate decorations campers have on display.

At the resorts Disney does hand out the candy.

At the Fort its the campers giving out the goodies except I guess the Meadow and Settlement shops might hand out something.

And the part about the Fort doesn't mention trick or treating.

There was a post a couple years ago saying that trick or treating at the Fort is done by the campers and was not an "official" Disney activity.

24 minutes ago, Travisma said:

And the part about the Fort doesn't mention trick or treating.

There was a post a couple years ago saying that trick or treating at the Fort is done by the campers and was not an "official" Disney activity.

The Activity Calendar still says "Pre Registration" at the bike barn for Camp & Treat.....And when you registered you were given a Printed  Character Sign for your site......Just because people don't follow-it is a mute point..  

22 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

The Activity Calendar still says "Pre Registration" at the bike barn for Camp & Treat.....And when you registered you were given a Printed  Character Sign for your site......Just because people don't follow-it is a mute point..  

What Disney is doing at the Fort is the same thing that various neighborhood organizations do.

They are trying to organize and let people know where to go, but they are not giving out the candy and treats.

Disney sponsors the cart parade, dog costume and pumpkin decorating contests, and site judging,  by supplying personnel and prizes and now they have the beach bash.  But they do not hand out the candy or really participate in Camp or Treat. That is entirely fueled by the generosity of the campers themselves.

Registration and giving out signs is one thing, handing out tons of candy to non paying kids is something entirely different. That's what MNSSHP is for,  where you pay to get candy.

If Disney "sponsored" the campers giving out candy, they would be liable if someone gave kids spiked treats.

19 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Registration and giving out signs is one thing, handing out tons of candy to non paying kids is something entirely different. That's what MNSSHP is for,  where you pay to get candy.

If Disney "sponsored" the campers giving out candy, they would be liable if someone gave kids spiked treats.

The sign was to be put on your site to let people know you were giving out candy. The FORT also printed a list of what sites were participating so they were telling you where the "FREE"  "UNCHECKED"  candy was, that creates liability too...........

What about the GOLF CART PARADE where people still throw candy.   The FORT leads the parade so they have the liability there as well if the candy in contaminated....