My husband and I will be heading to the fort next month. We will not be able to bring are camper. We will just have a tent. We are only doing 4 nights.

I don't want to bring a ton of stuff. If I bring my own cup will there be any place at the fort that will give me hot water for free? I just want it for a cup of tea in the morning.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I haven’t seen one of those in ages!  I thought they banned them years ago?

28 minutes ago, Robin said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Why would they ban it? To many people getting burned?

Either that or they let the water boil away and started a fire.

You know how it goes, a couple of people spoil it for everyone.

But reading the reviews, it looks like they might've made it semi goof proof... but you can still burn yourself. 

Just follow the instructions to only plug/unplug it WHILE IT IS IMMERSED and you can't miss. It has a fuse that is designed to break the circuit if it's not immersed so that it can't start a fire. The first time you plug/unplug it when it's not immersed, it's going to pop, and that's that. It's a great little travel appliance if you use it properly.

Another reviewer said to have a spare cup of water nearby to put it in to cool when you are done.

All I can think of is immersion heaters the army used to have.  They were gasoline fired and dropped into a garbage can full of water.  They were dangerous as hell.  Once in a while - KABOOM 

50 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Just follow the instructions to only plug/unplug it WHILE IT IS IMMERSED and you can't miss. It has a fuse that is designed to break the circuit if it's not immersed so that it can't start a fire.

To be fair, my professional grade hair straightening iron could probably boil water if it was submersible, and for sure you can burn yourself with it. (#truestory)

15 hours ago, Specularius said:

Or get an electric kettle. Something like this:

Electric Kettle on amazon

I use one for French Press Coffee. Also used one like this to make my wife hot tea in the Hospital after she had a procedure. Nursing staff was in Awe. 

Someone on a FB camping page said they were going thru the attic and found a forgotten box of camping gear that was at least 20 years old.

They found an electric kettle in the box, plugged it in and it started working.  It's their "new" old favorite appliance. They use it everyday for tea, instant coffee and water for oatmeal.

It was similar to this but tan.

Image result for 1960s vintage electric kettle

Thanks, I don't want to lug a ton of stuff with. I could bring the keurig  but it's only for a couple of glasses of tea. If anything I can go without. 

I just was wondering if I went into one of the stores or trails end they would fill my cup with hot water. In the past other campgrounds have done this for me.  

41 minutes ago, Robin said:

Thanks, I don't want to lug a ton of stuff with. I could bring the keurig  but it's only for a couple of glasses of tea. If anything I can go without. 

I just was wondering if I went into one of the stores or trails end they would fill my cup with hot water. In the past other campgrounds have done this for me.  

It would only be Meadows TP or TE since the Settlement TP doesn't have coffee. 

On 10/24/2019 at 7:18 AM, Travisma said:

Someone on a FB camping page said they were going thru the attic and found a forgotten box of camping gear that was at least 20 years old.

They found an electric kettle in the box, plugged it in and it started working.  It's their "new" old favorite appliance. They use it everyday for tea, instant coffee and water for oatmeal.

It was similar to this but tan.

Image result for 1960s vintage electric kettle

I had a "hot pot" in college - similar but smaller. Cooked many a ramen with that thing!

• 3 weeks later...