Feeling so frustrated and upset.  The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta has been on our bucket list for a few years... so when the sites went on sale earlier this week, I jumped online as soon as they opened up to snag a spot (I knew they sold out).  They had a site listed for $40/night, I made the reservation and paid for it (charge is on my credit card).  Now, they are all sold out for our dates and I woke up to this email this morning:  

"Thank you for your purchase of VIP North RV lot reservation. Due to accidental circumstances, you were undercharged for your lots. You were charged $40 per night, but the actual cost per night is $100. We have adjusted the cost of your reservations, and the adjustment reflects the actual price. Make sure to pay the remaining balance due within 30 days in order to keep your reservation, otherwise your reservation will be cancelled. We are sorry for any inconvenience, but the good news is you still have your reservations."

So, basically, we come up with several hundred more (8 night reservation) or we don't go.  This is just wrong.

14 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Does not sound legal to me. 

Too bad they didn't have correct up-date for prices, BUT that is not your fault. 

They should honor your $40 per night reservation.!

I would try to contact someone in charge.

Tell them you are not happy with their solution, that you booked the site in good faith based on what was on their website.

It wasn't your fault that they had the incorrect pricing, and that they need to admit to their error and honor the price you paid.

Hopefully they will cave in and let you keep the price (and not give you a site next to the dumpsters).

If they don't honor the price, look for a local Albuquerque TV station that has one of those consumer advocates, tell them your story and see if they will look into it. At the very least it was a mistake that the festival should make good on, at the worst, it was a case of bait and switch.

1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Does not sound legal to me. 

Too bad they didn't have correct up-date for prices, BUT that is not your fault. 

They should honor your $40 per night reservation.!

They offered a product at a price, I paid for that product, the charge is on my credit card, and I have a receipt....so I tend to agree:  I don’t know that it’s legal.  However, that doesn’t necessarily matter anymore.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I would try to contact someone in charge.

Tell them you are not happy with their solution, that you booked the site in good faith based on what was on their website.

It wasn't your fault that they had the incorrect pricing, and that they need to admit to their error and honor the price you paid.

Hopefully they will cave in and let you keep the price (and not give you a site next to the dumpsters).

If they don't honor the price, look for a local Albuquerque TV station that has one of those consumer advocates, tell them your story and see if they will look into it. At the very least it was a mistake that the festival should make good on, at the worst, it was a case of bait and switch.

Sent off a couple emails this morning to board members and the office.  Doug has reached out to the local networks.

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Doug is having the same situation as well.

Yes, we’ve been talking all day.

8 hours ago, bhall said:

is the north lot any better then the south lot?  They charged $40 this year for the south lot

https://www.campendium.com/balloon-fiesta-south-rv-lot

edit....maybe it's the "VIP" designation and it indeed was a typo/mistake. 

Yes, the north lot is closer to the launch area.

I'll bet you anything that $40 is their normal rate per night, and the $100 rate is for special events.   Someone forgot to put the special event rate into the system, for the dates of the Balloon Fiesta.   I would speak to someone there in management, to try to hold onto that rate.  I know that when the hotel chain I worked for forgot to enter their event rates in time, they honored the rates as long as the reservation had no changes.  If you changed the reservation at all,  even to just cancel some days, the event rates would apply.  

I am pretty sure it is legal for them to change the rates this far in advance and with the number of days notice they have given you.  However, if you bring in bad publicity, or insist upon keeping the rate, they may hold for you. It really all depends upon how many people booked at that rate, and how many will not complain and pay the new rate. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Fiesta has offered to put us in a lot, farther out, for the $40..... but after talking to so many, the North VIP sounds like one to take.  However, we did a day at the MK this past trip and hate to say it:  we missed the parks.   So, I think we'll use the money we would have used to go to the balloon fiesta, to save for tickets (probably not APs, but regular tickets).

Honestly, this would have been more for Tom and I;  I think the kids would have liked it, for a couple of hours.  Plus when I asked them if they'd rather do the fiesta or a couple days at the parks... the Mouse won.  LOL

We are doing another cross-country trip next summer so, that will be huge adventure.  On the list for this trip:   Glacier, the Oregon coast, Crater Lake, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore (plus lots in between, including fantastic family time) ❤️

On 11/11/2019 at 12:53 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

The Fiesta has offered to put us in a lot, farther out, for the $40..... but after talking to so many, the North VIP sounds like one to take.  However, we did a day at the MK this past trip and hate to say it:  we missed the parks.   So, I think we'll use the money we would have used to go to the balloon fiesta, to save for tickets (probably not APs, but regular tickets).

Honestly, this would have been more for Tom and I;  I think the kids would have liked it, for a couple of hours.  Plus when I asked them if they'd rather do the fiesta or a couple days at the parks... the Mouse won.  LOL

We are doing another cross-country trip next summer so, that will be huge adventure.  On the list for this trip:   Glacier, the Oregon coast, Crater Lake, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore (plus lots in between, including fantastic family time) ❤️

We call Fantastic Family Time,

FFF (Forced Family Fun)!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in the North lot this year. We had booked a general RV site but they called us a few months before and told us they were "testing" a new VIP area and would upgrade us for free if we wanted. It was super close and you could walk right onto the field. We were maybe 100 foot from the gates. One day the winds were off and they were actually landing balloons next to our RV in the campground. We asked what they would be charging for it next year when it went mainstream and they said $100, so they knew then what it would be. Does not make it any better for you, but it does sound like someone put the wrong price in the system. 

23 hours ago, ncitro said:

We were in the North lot this year. We had booked a general RV site but they called us a few months before and told us they were "testing" a new VIP area and would upgrade us for free if we wanted. It was super close and you could walk right onto the field. We were maybe 100 foot from the gates. One day the winds were off and they were actually landing balloons next to our RV in the campground. We asked what they would be charging for it next year when it went mainstream and they said $100, so they knew then what it would be. Does not make it any better for you, but it does sound like someone put the wrong price in the system. 

Probably so.