So... as I've mentioned, it looks like I'm going to have to get on a (DCL) cruise boat, which will be a huge thing for me (insert panic attack here).  As anxious as I am about getting on the ship, our little hot-mess of a dog is ultra-neurotic, so leaving him will be HUGE deal.   The thing is, he hates...hates being left.  He's such a love and is super cute (his two saving graces... LOL), but we have to drug him, to leave him.  

Not quite sure what we're going to do with the little guy, but considering the kennel down the street from the Fort as I think we'll do a couple of days at the Fort with our trip.  

Any feedback on the kennel??   I have ZERO experiences with dog kennels, so I know... nothing.

I don't know the specifics for the Disney kennel. Every kennel I have dealt with in addition to rabies and DHPP vaccinations also wanted Bordetella within 6 months of stay. The best thing is to call them and ask what they require so you have time to get any vaccinations they might require so you can go over it with your vet.  

Edit:

Here is the link to Best Friends Pet Care and it covers their WDW facility.

https://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/location/waltdisneyworldresort/vaccines

8 hours ago, keith_h said:

I don't know the specifics for the Disney kennel. Every kennel I have dealt with in addition to rabies and DHPP vaccinations also wanted Bordetella within 6 months of stay. The best thing is to call them and ask what they require so you have time to get any vaccinations they might require so you can go over it with your vet.  

Edit:

Here is the link to Best Friends Pet Care and it covers their WDW facility.

https://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/location/waltdisneyworldresort/vaccines

Thank you.  

As someone who has had a little bit of a panic about being on a cruise ship, I hope the fantastic time you are going to have will override any of those anxiety feelings. One thought about the kennel is there any way you can test leave your dog there on a prior trip so he's familiar with it a little bit when you have to leave him for real?  May be good for both of you. I'm thankful my shelter dog feels that going to the kennel is like going to home so he's pretty good with it.  But even he needed some getting used to the people there and the smell of that particular place.  

3 hours ago, Seals said:

As someone who has had a little bit of a panic about being on a cruise ship, I hope the fantastic time you are going to have will override any of those anxiety feelings. One thought about the kennel is there any way you can test leave your dog there on a prior trip so he's familiar with it a little bit when you have to leave him for real?  May be good for both of you. I'm thankful my shelter dog feels that going to the kennel is like going to home so he's pretty good with it.  But even he needed some getting used to the people there and the smell of that particular place.  

Thank you.  I too hope and pray that the cruise goes wonderfully.  This is something special for my parents, or we wouldn't be doing it... LOL.  I know Tom and the kids will love it at least ^_^

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not sure how it would work for two reasons:   1.  we don't live near Disney, so he could not get used to the smells at that kennel or with those people and 2.  even if he didn't like it, we're kind-of stuck because he has to be watched somewhere.  Ugh.  Hopefully we figure it out between now and then.

1 hour ago, alexwyattmommy said:

Have you thought about having a house sitter?

Then your dog could stay in his own home and they could try to follow all your normal routines with him.

I had thought of that, but I don't know that we know of anyone (that would want to come live in our home... they might allow him to stay with them).  Plus, the cruise will only be 3 nights and we'll (probably) camp there and back.   Truth of it all is, this darn dog that drives me up the wall, from the person who will tell you that she is NOT a dog person... it makes me sad to think that he might be sad.

Darn dog.

If your dog has to go to a Kennel, the Best Friends is a good choice. The TCD dog, Rocky, stayed there a few years back and loved it. Very clean. Nice facility. Great staff. 

Make sure that your dog's shots are up to date. They require proof before they will confirm your reservation. That's a good thing. 

Congratulations on your cruise!  There are some DCL experts amongst the Fiends. I ran into a Fiend on our July cruise and I know he's taking another one for Thanksgiving. The TCD gang will be taking our third DCL cruise for this year in a couple of weeks- so seriously ask away. 

TCD

On 11/8/2019 at 9:00 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

If your dog has to go to a Kennel, the Best Friends is a good choice. The TCD dog, Rocky, stayed there a few years back and loved it. Very clean. Nice facility. Great staff. 

Make sure that your dog's shots are up to date. They require proof before they will confirm your reservation. That's a good thing. 

Congratulations on your cruise!  There are some DCL experts amongst the Fiends. I ran into a Fiend on our July cruise and I know he's taking another one for Thanksgiving. The TCD gang will be taking our third DCL cruise for this year in a couple of weeks- so seriously ask away. 

TCD

Thank you.

On 11/10/2019 at 9:11 AM, Beckers said:

Nacole!! You on a boat! I’m so proud (and surprised!) 

I know.   It's still a good 13-16 months off, so I'm trying not to think about it.  I may have to start drinking... which I know will make some Fiends happy :lol:

When I go on vacation and have to leave my dog somewhere, instead of a kennel, I have found this couple who boards dogs in their home.  The couple I found are fantastic.  The wife is a vet tech and the husband is a dog trainer.  They live on a few acres and on top of having their own dogs/boarding other peoples dogs, they foster dogs and have other animals like chickens and goats.  My dog loves there and I swear she would live there permanently if she could.  I don't know if there is something like that in Orlando or by your house...you could look around now by your house and have your dog visit a few times in the time before your cruise.  Would that be a possibility?

1 hour ago, wdwpoohbear...Jennifer said:

When I go on vacation and have to leave my dog somewhere, instead of a kennel, I have found this couple who boards dogs in their home.  The couple I found are fantastic.  The wife is a vet tech and the husband is a dog trainer.  They live on a few acres and on top of having their own dogs/boarding other peoples dogs, they foster dogs and have other animals like chickens and goats.  My dog loves there and I swear she would live there permanently if she could.  I don't know if there is something like that in Orlando or by your house...you could look around now by your house and have your dog visit a few times in the time before your cruise.  Would that be a possibility?

Thank you, good thoughts.  I don’t know that finding something here would be the best fit, simply because we’ll probably camp before and after, so the 3 night need (for the cruise) would end up being much longer if we left him here. 

Having said that, I have had a couple of Fiends reach out to me and offer up solutions for taking care of Simon there in FL ❤️