OUTPOST no longer assigning sites?

If this was posted before I missed it. 

I was just informed that the OUTPOST is no longer assigning sites and that it is being done by the central reservation office the same as Resort Rooms.  As I understand it even the long term TA's who are at the FORT can no longer get specific sites for their clients.  

Anybody else heard anything?

20 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I was just informed that the OUTPOST is no longer assigning sites and that it is being done by the central reservation office the same as Resort Rooms.  As I understand it even the long term TA's who are at the FORT can no longer get specific sites for their clients.  

I really wish the Fort would just go site specific or at least allow you to choose your loop.

17 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

We were there Veterans weekend and were assigned the 2000 loop.  We asked about 1500 and the CM called someone.  I think it was to inside the building because he said the persons name when he called.  Maybe they called central from in there.  

46 minutes ago, Travisma said:

We were there Veterans weekend and were assigned the 2000 loop.  We asked about 1500 and the CM called someone.  I think it was to inside the building because he said the persons name when he called.  Maybe they called central from in there.  

Hmm... for our 6 week trip 2 years ago, we had to piece together 11 reservations in 2 different site classifications.  We were fully prepared to have to move if necessary but asked very nicely if there was anything they could do. The check-in CM pulled in a supervisor and she called "out back" to try and finagle it so that we didn't have to move 11 times.  I don't know exactly who she talked to, but after about 20 minutes she told us we were all set, gave us one of the top 3 sites we wanted, and we never had to move. 

3 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I did post something recently about moving to a central clearing house for requests. Must have it all linked together with the assigning as well. 

So what if you check in and don't like the site they gave you and you want to change sites?

24 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

So what if you check in and don't like the site they gave you and you want to change sites?

Always a problem at the Fort. They should have a guide take each person to their site.  I have seen many people get sites that can't be backed into with their particular rig and are lampooned out in a loop with no one to assist or a phone number to get a direct line. 

Must be very recent change. During the second week of October, on a whim, we had a quick one night stay at the Fort.  We just pulled up to registration, asked for a specific site, the CM checked his computer screen, our requested site was available, assigned to us and off we went. Guess we were lucky or prior to changes. Having to check and verify thru another layer just for site assignment would sure slow things down at registration. The CM's that have a "visual" on the camper size, and who are familiar with the loops and campsites, are much more capable of making those decisions. Going back in a couple weeks-will see what happens then. Thanks for the update. 

1 hour ago, Breezy2 said:

Must be very recent change. During the second week of October, on a whim, we had a quick one night stay at the Fort.  We just pulled up to registration, asked for a specific site, the CM checked his computer screen, our requested site was available, assigned to us and off we went. Guess we were lucky or prior to changes. Having to check and verify thru another layer just for site assignment would sure slow things down at registration. The CM's that have a "visual" on the camper size, and who are familiar with the loops and campsites, are much more capable of making those decisions. Going back in a couple weeks-will see what happens then. Thanks for the update. 

My gut feeling is that this change will make the Fort the same as any hotel.  The front desk staff will always be able to see what is occupied, vacant and pending arrival.  They can sell a vacant site for one night without a problem.

Where I see the possible issues arising are special requests.  A system that has apparently worked well for many years (faxing requests) could be in peril.  I'm being told by another travel agent who works the Fort a lot (sorry Jason) that the faxes are being forwarded to the new assignment group.  How long will this last?? 

To be honest, I have never faxed a request.  I have noted on my reservation some things at times, like "back side of 1900 loop, outside" but even that was rare.  I like the surprise of seeing where they put us this time and we have never been disappointed.  On one occasion we didn't fit on a site but other than that time have always been happy.

I'm hoping that this is an issue just because it's change.  Nobody like change.

I guess I don't have an issue with this as long as the check-in agent in the "lane" still has the power, knowledge and ability to override what the Central folks have done.

This last trip, I used the fax option for the first time and was assigned to one of my loop choices (800 loop).  When the agent told me the site number, I wanted to see exactly where we were physically in the loop, so he handed me the infamous "site book".  After seeing we were kind of close to the main road, I asked if there was anything open in the loop I really wanted to try (1300), he said "let me check".  I was still holding the "site book" in my lap.  He gave a couple of sites to choose from in the 1300 loop and I asked him how deep they were.  He said he would have to have the book back to check that information.  I looked really quick and promptly gave him the site I wanted.  No problem, a few key clicks on the computer and we were off to the 1300 loop to our site of choice.

I guess my fear with this going "off site" (no pun intended), is that the new "breathing bodies" will have no clue as to any knowledge of RV's or camping equipment, or how to assign sites on length, equipment, or possible obstacles.  Not that the current group has that knowledge now, but I do hope they have some idea of what they are doing based on the information given to them through the reservation and check-in information. 

We shall see how this all shakes out... 

1 hour ago, tim5055 said:

Where I see the possible issues arising are special requests.  A system that has apparently worked well for many years (faxing requests) could be in peril.  I'm being told by another travel agent who works the Fort a lot (sorry Jason) that the faxes are being forwarded to the new assignment group.  How long will this last?? 

No worries. I had written on the previous post that word was the faxes were going to be going to this group but I hadnt seen proof of any change yet at that time. 

13 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

No worries. I had written on the previous post that word was the faxes were going to be going to this group but I hadnt seen proof of any change yet at that time. 

As a few have pointed out here, word on other forums is that many are now seeing that faxed requests are not being noted.

I know that in the past I have recommend faxing about 4 days before.  Many say 10 days to two weeks, but I figured that just gave them time to loose the fax.

It's a shame with all the $$ that is charged for going to the Fort that they don't have better information available at check in about the sites.  When we went last weekend the CM showed me the book with a hand drawn map of the 2000 loop.  No site information, no landmark references, etc.  There were a couple of drawing of the comfort stations but not the sidewalks leading to them between some of the sites.  Fort Fiends has better info then Disney has.  Same thing when we went to the front counter before we left asking about different types of sites. The CM went into the back room and came out with a map just for them.  It was the regular handout map, but they had color coded the different types of loops and had a front desk contact phone number at the bottom.  But we could only look at the map, not keep it.

But as we all know for every one family that has said they won't be back, there are 10 ready to go in their place.

We checked in November 6th.  I had faxed in a site request for the 200 loop.  the cast member at check in could see I sent in a request.  I told him the sites we requested and if they weren't open yet we would wait.  He told me there was nothing available in 200 at that time (around noon).  He did get on the phone and call.  I don't know what loop they were going to put us in since everything seemed full in the 100 or 200 loop (I assume there was something in 300).  He worked on the computer to look at possible sites and then would confirm with the person on the phone.  Thankfully, I had the Fort Fiends app which gave me all the size info along with the site book he gave me.  He worked hard and got me a nice site.  However, it appeared to be more complicated than in the past; and this was about the 40th check in we've gone through.  Something changed.  I know the person who used to assign sites retired a little while ago and I don't think I've gotten my exact request since.

3 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

We check in Saturday. With a 45' rig plus the truck I always looks at the book to pick my site.

Be sure to let us know if you see any difference in the check in experience.

13 hours ago, KathFill said:

We sent a fax and then followed up with a phone call 3 weeks later...they had no knowledge of any fax or site requests from our end. 

Faxes have gone to a separate location all along and up until recently were frequently lost if not sent in the last 10 days before arrival. With this new system that went live fairly recently they should be going to the same people who will be handling the online requests but I do not know if they will be visible to the cast members you would get when calling in. The called in ones get logged into the reservation notes. I usually call in for clients as soon as they have a request and fax in the last 5-10 days. With the new system I will probably be pushing that out to 30 days and again in the 5-10 day period. 

19 hours ago, Travisma said:

It's a shame with all the $$ that is charged for going to the Fort that they don't have better information available at check in about the sites.  When we went last weekend the CM showed me the book with a hand drawn map of the 2000 loop.  No site information, no landmark references, etc.  There were a couple of drawing of the comfort stations but not the sidewalks leading to them between some of the sites.  Fort Fiends has better info then Disney has.   

Yep.  Disney needs to make FF an offer for their information ;)  It really is a no-brainer... but then again, we are talking about the Fort, the black sheep of Disney.

Again, I'll say I wish the Fort would just go site specific.  They could utilize the FF site, which would allow folks to see and have specific information on the site before they book it.  I don't know.  I guess if they at least as the FF site, then they could help folks find a better spot at check in.  Oh well, at least we have it (which works great if the sites we offer up are open) ^_^

Whle many like site specific reservations, it is bad in that sites will go empty between reservations.  Plus, if I'm on a FHU site and want to extend a night with site specific reservations I may not be able to even though there is another site available as mine may be booked.

43 minutes ago, tim5055 said:

Whle many like site specific reservations, it is bad in that sites will go empty between reservations.  Plus, if I'm on a FHU site and want to extend a night with site specific reservations I may not be able to even though there is another site available as mine may be booked.

Agreed... it does reduce flexibility.

1 hour ago, tim5055 said:

Agree. At some campgrounds I like site specific reservations so you can pick a really good site over a bad one or small site. But at the Fort a majority of the sites are pretty equal. I think overall it would be detrimental if they switched.