UPDATE 12/18 BP CHANGES !! Rise of the Resistance Bummer 12/4

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RotR still cant beat sipping a high quality bourbon under an awning at the Fort and maybe some subsequent golf cart riding. I'll ride it later. 

Retired cast are blocked out of HS through April and I won't be surprised if the blocking goes all summer.  I want to give a big THANK YOU to the WWz who got together and bought me a ticket to HS so I

Whelp, the TCD Gang rode ROTR today.  Its amazing. we agree that it's the best ride in a Disney park. And the TCD twins have been to Tokyo and Hong Kong.  I stand by my statement that t

8 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I'm glad RoTR is good, because Smugglers Run pretty much sucks IMO. 

7 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I have to disagree with you. I absolutely love Smugglers Run. Ridden it over a dozen times so far. 

I fall in between you two. I don't think Smuggler's Run is awful- but it's not anywhere near my favorite ride. The masses seem to agree, as wait times have been very low for what was supposed to be a blockbuster attraction. 

I hope that you both get to ride ROTR soon. The big problem I see is that there are so many components to the attraction, and it relies so much on technology, that it is bound to have problems operating efficiency. That was and still is a problem with FOP. 

TCD

9 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Do you think its better than Star Tours? Not the que....just the actual ride. 

I think Smuggler’s Run far exceeds Star Tours. The simulator quality, especially the motion, far surpasses that of Star Tours; which it should because it is a much newer ride. My wife gets motion sickness on Star Tours but not Smuggler’s Run because the motion is so much better (synched to the visual). Of course, I work on flight simulators so maybe I’m looking at it differently. I enjoy both rides a lot.

As far as opening ROTR too early; I think you would have had problems even if they waited. As an engineer working on similar technology, I’ve experienced problems that showed up in operational use that never showed up in extensive testing. Normal use provides scenarios never anticipated in test procedures; an operator hitting buttons in a different order, a guest moving or standing in a way not anticipated, unforeseen maintenance issues, etc. Plus during system development there is always the risk analysis that takes place that puts performance against cost and schedule. The risks are assessed and either mitigated or accepted. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It is the same issue when you buy a new design car in its first year of production. 

Rode RotR on Tuesday and to date IMHO it is the best ride I have ever been on hands down.  No spoiler alerts here but I will say if you get sick on simulators or are plan tired of boring overused simulator rides this ride is the answer you’ve been looking for. Disney has set the bar high for future rides. Congrats to Disney for giving us a REAL ride!

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I fall in between you two. I don't think Smuggler's Run is awful- but it's not anywhere near my favorite ride. The masses seem to agree, as wait times have been very low for what was supposed to be a blockbuster attraction. 

I hope that you both get to ride ROTR soon. The big problem I see is that there are so many components to the attraction, and it relies so much on technology, that it is bound to have problems operating efficiency. That was and still is a problem with FOP. 

TCD

The bus conversion pulls into the Fort Dec 23. DHS is Dec 24. 😄

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

As far as opening ROTR too early; I think you would have had problems even if they waited. As an engineer working on similar technology, I’ve experienced problems that showed up in operational use that never showed up in extensive testing. Normal use provides scenarios never anticipated in test procedures; an operator hitting buttons in a different order, a guest moving or standing in a way not anticipated, unforeseen maintenance issues, etc. Plus during system development there is always the risk analysis that takes place that puts performance against cost and schedule. The risks are assessed and either mitigated or accepted. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It is the same issue when you buy a new design car in its first year of production. 

I don't disagree with your points about rolling out a new product, but IMHO a theme park ride is different. Disney announced Star Wars Land at the 2015 D23 Expo. Here we are more than 4 years later, and they opened the major attraction in this new land with no CM previews, no AP previews, and no soft openings. These pre-opening opportunities with actual humans on the ride are traditionally where "problems in operational use that never showed up in extensive testing" could have and should have been identified. 

Instead, this ride has now been open for 8 days, and has had multiple and frequent stops and evacuations. Every day. CM's have to spend time and money on guest recovery, and very few of the thousands of guests who have waited 4+ years for this attraction, and may have planned their vacations around the announced opening date, are even able to ride it.

Right now, the only way to ride it is to arrive at DHS at 5 am and hope you can grab a boarding group before they're all gone within minutes of the park opening. And even then, the chances of an uninterrupted ride are remote.

It was absolutely opened too soon. Testing and adjusting to the extent it is happening should not be done on real guests who have paid thousands of dollars to be there. 

53 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I saw a post this morning on a FB page about Smugglers Run. 

The writer said they got cursed out by someone on their ship because they didn't pilot it good enough!

I wouldn't curse anyone out, but I've been on the ride with incompetent pilots, and it does ruin the experience. 

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That's been true at DL as well as WDW - pretty much from day one - which would seem to support that while it may be good (or even great depending on your opinion) it hasn't lived up to the hype.  

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I saw a post this morning on a FB page about Smugglers Run. 

The writer said they got cursed out by someone on their ship because they didn't pilot it good enough!

That's obnoxious... and kinda hilarious.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't disagree with your points about rolling out a new product, but IMHO a theme park ride is different. Disney announced Star Wars Land at the 2015 D23 Expo. Here we are more than 4 years later, and they opened the major attraction in this new land with no CM previews, no AP previews, and no soft openings. These pre-opening opportunities with actual humans on the ride are traditionally where "problems in operational use that never showed up in extensive testing" could have and should have been identified. 

Instead, this ride has now been open for 8 days, and has had multiple and frequent stops and evacuations. Every day. CM's have to spend time and money on guest recovery, and very few of the thousands of guests who have waited 4+ years for this attraction, and may have planned their vacations around the announced opening date, are even able to ride it.

Right now, the only way to ride it is to arrive at DHS at 5 am and hope you can grab a boarding group before they're all gone within minutes of the park opening. And even then, the chances of an uninterrupted ride are remote.

It was absolutely opened too soon. Testing and adjusting to the extent it is happening should not be done on real guests who have paid thousands of dollars to be there. 

I wouldn't curse anyone out, but I've been on the ride with incompetent pilots, and it does ruin the experience. 

TCD

Just because there were no previews or soft openings doesn't mean there was not extensive testing prior to opening.  I know there were some previews that were not announced.  In the almost 40 years I've been working on this stuff, I've never seen a flawless rollout.  They are just too complicated, and given the safety systems on top of it, there are bound to be shutdowns caused more by an abundance of caution than an actual failure to operate.  I do not agree that it opened too soon.  They could have waited a month and still would have probably had issues, but that is all part of the tradeoffs.  Software reliability calculations for fault density shows basically an asymptotic curve towards zero; you never fully get there and the return on additional testing time diminishes greatly the further you get into testing.

1 minute ago, djsamuel said:

Just because there were no previews or soft openings doesn't mean there was not extensive testing prior to opening.  I know there were some previews that were not announced.  In the almost 40 years I've been working on this stuff, I've never seen a flawless rollout.  They are just too complicated, and given the safety systems on top of it, there are bound to be shutdowns caused more by an abundance of caution than an actual failure to opetate.  I do not agree that it opened too soon.  They could have waited a month and still would have probably had issues, but that is all part of the tradeoffs.  Software reliability calculations for fault density shows basically an asymptotic curve towards zero; you never fully get there and the return on additional testing time diminishes greatly the further you get into testing.

I understand and respect that you have far more knowledge than I do in regard to engineering and technology, but can you recall any other recent major attraction at a Disney park that was not preceded by at least a month or more of previews and soft openings?

And, can you recall any Disney major attraction that was opened to guests and then had multiple breakdowns of an hour or more every single day after it opened?

TCD

In anticipation of the Christmas crowds (you think ROTR is crazy now?!)...

Disney Skyliner and Minnie Van Operating Hours to Be Adjusted on December 13–21

To support extended park hours at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney Skyliner and Minnie Van service have adjusted their hours to accommodate earlier park open:
  • All three lines of the Disney Skyliner system will open at 6:45 a.m.
  • Minnie Van service will begin picking up Guests at 5 a.m.

https://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2019/12/disney-skyliner-and-minnie-van.html?fbclid=IwAR0V_AyCmFKOU36DlPtq_kZOvoe1IKlh0SWa-5NKfOvDvGCpzz8aie450jQ

10 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That Skyliner time isn't early enough if they're opening DHS at 7.  

The Minnie Van adjustment is a direct response to the lost revenue that was going to the other ridesharing competitors. 

Distinctly absent from this announcement is that buses will start rolling earlier. That apparently ain't happening- they need to drive business to the Minnie Vans. 

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I understand and respect that you have far more knowledge than I do in regard to engineering and technology, but can you recall any other recent major attraction at a Disney park that was not preceded by at least a month or more of previews and soft openings?

And, can you recall any Disney major attraction that was opened to guests and then had multiple breakdowns of an hour or more every single day after it opened?

TCD

ROTR broke down for the big press bash.

15 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Yes. For me it is currently my favorite ride at Disney. Star Tours is a fun ride but I love the interactivity of Smugglers. 

I think nostalgia plays a big role in whether people like it or love it. To be inside the ship is unbelievable to some. The waiting room with the chess table is like being in the movie. My girls are not big star wars fan and they were just "meh" about it. They said that Star Tours is more thrilling. I tend to agree. Bode loves them both, but he is 7 and loves everything Star Wars. I feel the experience could be better. I think the pilot role is the best. The other roles you spend a lot of time looking at the buttons and not out of the front windows. I've been on it six times now. I don't hate it, but maybe my hopes were too high. Also, not one time has our flight led to any comments or interactions with CM's in the cantina like they advertised. Is that a thing yet?

46 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Also, not one time has our flight led to any comments or interactions with CM's in the cantina like they advertised. Is that a thing yet?

Like all the interactive experiences we were supposed to get with Magic Bands, this was just more pie in the sky that was promised but not delivered.  It's not happening now, and I've heard it's no longer on the drawing board. 

TCD

22 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Test Track had a lot of issues at the beginning, both in software and mechanical. There were much larger issues there. Fantasy of Flight had some and of course the Skyliner as well. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train closed several times the first few weeks after opening, not including the fire. You are also assuming that the lack of announced previews and soft openings equates to a lack of testing. Give it a month and see where they are. They were certainly under pressure to get the crowds up at Galaxy’s Edge, and that is one of the factors used in risk management. 

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Boarding Groups Now Being Distributed Starting at Official Park Opening Time Beginning Today

Since Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opened, the attraction has utilized a boarding group system that required guests to enter the park and then obtain said group in the MyDisneyExperience app in order to ride. On top of this, the park has been unofficially opening anywhere from 30-120 minutes ahead of the scheduled opening time, allowing guests to grab that boarding group way before the park’s official opening time. Today, things have gone a little differently…

While the park did allow guests in before the official 7am opening time (at 6:30am guests were admitted), cast members have informed guests that they will not be able to join a boarding group until 7am. On top of this, the attractions in the park did not open prior to 7am either.

It is unknown if this is a one-day policy change or if it will be the way the process works from now on.

Looks like it is official going forward as of now. 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/12/virtual-queue-at-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-opens-with-advertised-park-hours/?fbclid=IwAR2LiAH6oxOjdhuqFlh5ODga92fKmo21cNeUb5q9Gk1TZ7zL3puCamB-8ZE

Here’s what to know:

• Virtual queue will be available at the published park opening time. We may welcome guests onto Hollywood Boulevard prior to opening the rest of the park, and limited nearby locations will be open for your convenience. This includes Trolley Car Café where you can pick up a beverage for your own personal “jump to lightspeed,” and if you need to grab a few galactic gifts, Keystone Clothiers will be available.
  • At the park’s published opening time, the virtual queue for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opens along with offerings throughout the rest of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Guests must be in Disney’s Hollywood Studios to access virtual queue in the My Disney Experience app.

Due to the incredible popularity of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, we will continue to distribute backup boarding groups after the initial planned groups have been filled. Backup boarding groups will only be called if all of the initial planned boarding groups have been called back and there is capacity for more riders that evening. If we are able to accommodate boarding groups that evening, guests will be notified through the My Disney Experience app by a push notification (if enabled). 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Question on the boarding group set-up.... is this a permanent way to run things or is it just for the first few months of the opening?  Does anyone know?

All the various blogs have been asking the same thing.  Don't think anyone knows at the moment.

I guess it might be working for Disney and for early risers since they implemented it at Disneyland.

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

All the various blogs have been asking the same thing.  Don't think anyone knows at the moment.

I guess it might be working for Disney and for early risers since they implemented it at Disneyland.

Am I understanding correctly that if the boarding group is still in place... that you cannot even get into the area/land without a boarding pass and that even with the boarding pass, you still have to stand in the line for the ride?  Still so confused on all of this... haha.

2 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Am I understanding correctly that if the boarding group is still in place... that you cannot even get into the area/land without a boarding pass and that even with the boarding pass, you still have to stand in the line for the ride?  Still so confused on all of this... haha.

You and all of your party that wants to go on ROR need to be inside of the park when it "officially" opens.  At that time you attempt to get a boarding pass for your entire party.  Let the person with the fastest phone try to get it.  I saw a warning on another site that multiple people in your group should not all try for a pass because it confuses MDE.  Not sure if that is true or not.

I think Jason and maybe TCD have posted the entire process, and if you google it there are plenty of posts on how and how not to do it.

When they first started this process the first people with the fastest phones got the lower # passes.  From what I read it's now a lottery type, your party might get #15, and the person next to you might get 60.

You will get a 1 or 2 hour notice when to report back to get in line for the ride.  And depending on what # you have and if the ride did or didn't break down that day you can be waiting in line up to 2 hours.  Just like going to the doctors.  The earlier appointments get in on time, and as the day progresses and the patients take up more of the doctors time, the appointments get backed up.

3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

You and all of your party that wants to go on ROR need to be inside of the park when it "officially" opens.  At that time you attempt to get a boarding pass for your entire party.  Let the person with the fastest phone try to get it.  I saw a warning on another site that multiple people in your group should not all try for a pass because it confuses MDE.  Not sure if that is true or not.

I think Jason and maybe TCD have posted the entire process, and if you google it there are plenty of posts on how and how not to do it.

When they first started this process the first people with the fastest phones got the lower # passes.  From what I read it's now a lottery type, your party might get #15, and the person next to you might get 60.

You will get a 1 or 2 hour notice when to report back to get in line for the ride.  And depending on what # you have and if the ride did or didn't break down that day you can be waiting in line up to 2 hours.  Just like going to the doctors.  The earlier appointments get in on time, and as the day progresses and the patients take up more of the doctors time, the appointments get backed up.

But if you don't get a boarding pass... there is no way to get on the ride, is that correct?

2 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

But if you don't get a boarding pass... there is no way to get on the ride, is that correct?

Correct, and there is no guarantee of getting on the ride with a higher # boarding pass.  Check some of the FB pages and other blogs and you'll see that quite a few times people have not gotten on the ride even with a boarding pass. And 1 day about a month ago, the ride went down for 7 hours shortly after opening and didn't start up until around 2:00 PM.