UPDATE 12/18 BP CHANGES !! Rise of the Resistance Bummer 12/4

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Correct, and there is no guarantee of getting on the ride with a higher # boarding pass.  Check some of the FB pages and other blogs and you'll see that quite a few times people have not gotten on the ride even with a boarding pass. And 1 day about a month ago, the ride went down for 7 hours shortly after opening and didn't start up until around 2:00 PM.

Oh gosh... that's just awful.

This is all so stressful.  If only our little man didn't love Star Wars sooo much.  Sigh.

We have the cruise coming up in December and now the family wants to spend a few days at the parks so, trying to figure all this out.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RotR still cant beat sipping a high quality bourbon under an awning at the Fort and maybe some subsequent golf cart riding. I'll ride it later. 

Retired cast are blocked out of HS through April and I won't be surprised if the blocking goes all summer.  I want to give a big THANK YOU to the WWz who got together and bought me a ticket to HS so I

Whelp, the TCD Gang rode ROTR today.  Its amazing. we agree that it's the best ride in a Disney park. And the TCD twins have been to Tokyo and Hong Kong.  I stand by my statement that t

44 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Oh gosh... that's just awful.

This is all so stressful.  If only our little man didn't love Star Wars sooo much.  Sigh.

We have the cruise coming up in December and now the family wants to spend a few days at the parks so, trying to figure all this out.

Thanks for the help.

Things could change in 10 months

Good grief... all this money and I’m already anxious.

I think the only way Disney can try and start to handle the crowds, is extended hours (both opening and closing).  To not have this park open 7a - 11p for the foreseeable future, represents a complete lack of customer service to guests who save their money and pay thousands to The Mouse.  I truly hope Disney figures it out 😕

Just read a post from today that a guy went to HS, made it in by 8 and could not get a boarding pass. All were gone in 60 seconds.  He was staying 15 minutes away and left at 6 for 8 am opening and he just made it in the park at 7:58.  Took him 2 hours to fight traffic and get through security. Someone else said the traffic to HS was out to I-4 at 8 am. 

He's speculating that it went to a lottery system in the app as he was a single rider. 

Hoping we can on during spring break. 

13 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

He's speculating that it went to a lottery system in the app as he was a single rider. 

I don’t understand this comment. 

The current boarding pass system IS a lottery.  It’s no longer first come first served. Everyone tries at once- some guests get a boarding group. Some get standby. Some get nothing. 

It’s all a big scheme to hide the fact that the attraction breaks down and has to be evacuated several times EVERY day. They opened the attraction knowing full well that its  current capacity cannot come close to meeting demand.  But they can’t be honest about that because it would hurt resort reservations and ticket sales.  So they have created the pretense that everyone has a shot at getting a boarding group, when there’s less than a 50% chance that you will.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The current boarding pass system IS a lottery.  It’s no longer first come first served. Everyone tries at once- some guests get a boarding group. Some get standby. Some get nothing. 

It’s all a big scheme to hide the fact that the attraction breaks down and has to be evacuated several times EVERY day. They opened the attraction knowing full well that its  current capacity cannot come close to meeting demand.  But they can’t be honest about that because it would hurt resort reservations and ticket sales.  So they have created the pretense that everyone has a shot at getting a boarding group, when there’s less than a 50% chance that you will.

TCD

Interesting.  I haven't read everything on it, just been coming across things as I surf.  I figured a single person would have gotten a pass easily if you were there on time.  Makes sense if it's not working properly. 

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The current boarding pass system IS a lottery.  It’s no longer first come first served. Everyone tries at once- some guests get a boarding group. Some get standby. Some get nothing

TCD

Which makes you wonder if it's better to have small groups try (instead of one large group)... at least MAYBE some will get on??  Mercy.. this stinks.  They really, really need to extend the hours at this park.

7 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Which makes you wonder if it's better to have small groups try (instead of one large group)... at least MAYBE some will get on??  Mercy.. this stinks.  They really, really need to extend the hours at this park.

One key to success is to have a new phone. Phones a year or two old have slower processing speed than newer phones, so they get beat by guests with new phones. 

That stinks. 

Longer hours aren’t going to solve the fact that the ride is constantly breaking down. The harder they push it, the greater the chances of a catastrophic failure. 

That stinks. 

Bottom line is Disney doesn’t care about what an awful experience this is for guests. They’re raking in the dough. Maybe they’ll get it working better in a few months.  Maybe not.

Tough luck if you planned your trip around the new ride. 

TCD

7 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

It seems like it has only gotten harder to get on the ride since we were there the first 2 weeks of January.  I used a iPhone xr on sprint service with no problems. We did it once both weeks.

In the first two weeks of January, those who got into the park could start trying for a boarding group immediately after they entered, and it was first come first served. Currently, they let everyone in and then flip the boarding group switch on at 8 am. Thousands are trying at the same time for hundreds of spots. Most people lose. 

TCD

This thread is helping me make the decision to not even try this when we're there in a couple of weeks. Only have 4 park days and it sounds like it would take up a lot of time that could be more fun spent elsewhere especially since it's been a couple of years since we've been.  We're not die hard SW fans and it was more of a doing it to say we've done it.   But our phones are slow and we're slow on our phones.  (I see a great money making scheme of renting a young person with a fast phone). 

After this trip we'll still have one park day on an old non-expiring ticket so I guess we'll save that for 5? years from now when the madness has worn off and they've fixed the ride. 

3 hours ago, Seals said:

This thread is helping me make the decision to not even try this when we're there in a couple of weeks. Only have 4 park days and it sounds like it would take up a lot of time that could be more fun spent elsewhere especially since it's been a couple of years since we've been.  We're not die hard SW fans and it was more of a doing it to say we've done it.   But our phones are slow and we're slow on our phones.  (I see a great money making scheme of renting a young person with a fast phone). 

After this trip we'll still have one park day on an old non-expiring ticket so I guess we'll save that for 5? years from now when the madness has worn off and they've fixed the ride. 

If you’re planning to visit DHS, then it’s worth a shot, but do not plan your day around it. One consequence of the current system is that DHS is super busy from the moment it opens- so Slinky Dog and Rockin Rollercoaster begin the day with 60 minute wait times and it gets worse from there. If you don’t have parkhoppers, you probably ought to forget about it.

The new ride is amazing, and it’s definitely worth taking a shot to ride it. But have a solid backup plan.

TCD

12 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

In the first two weeks of January, those who got into the park could start trying for a boarding group immediately after they entered, and it was first come first served. Currently, they let everyone in and then flip the boarding group switch on at 8 am. Thousands are trying at the same time for hundreds of spots. Most people lose. 

TCD

We checked in on 1/4 and didn't hit DHS until Monday the 6th. It was opening at 7a.m. then. We parked our truck at 5:27 a.m. and got in line. We stood just past where you would buy tickets. They let us in the park about 6:30 and walked us back towards GE, then a cast member started telling us how it would work. He said open the app at 6:59 and then at 7 we could try for the boarding pass. We got 32.  Part of the whole way Disney is doing the boarding pass to me is they figured out a way to create hype. The only way you can ride is if you  are there first thing in the morning and you have to stay a good part of the day to ride.  And thanks to all the vloggers every one has to ride it. Disney always wins.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

However it isn't worth replacing my ancient but functional phone so I have a fighting chance at getting a boarding pass.

Yeah that ancient but functional phone will probably not score you a boarding group. But, you are welcome to join one of the 90 minute plus standby queues for the Millennium Falcon or Slinky Dog rides.  That’s what you get for being cheap.  WDW doesn’t want cheap or poor people.  They want dummies who waste money on the newest phones.  They’re more likely to buy one of those $300 lightsabers.  

TCD

On 2/17/2020 at 3:12 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you’re planning to visit DHS, then it’s worth a shot, but do not plan your day around it. One consequence of the current system is that DHS is super busy from the moment it opens- so Slinky Dog and Rockin Rollercoaster begin the day with 60 minute wait times and it gets worse from there. If you don’t have parkhoppers, you probably ought to forget about it.

The new ride is amazing, and it’s definitely worth taking a shot to ride it. But have a solid backup plan.

TCD

Even with fast phones I have terrible luck at lotteries/prize drawings.  We do have parkhoppers and I was planning vaguely to switch early afternoons to a different park each day.  Ideally I like to go to a resort to eat lunch and then go to a different park.   Both AK and HS I was only able to get late afternoon FP.   Our FP for Slinky Dog is late afternoon on March 4 which is the same day Micky and Minnie Railroad opens. That date wasn't announced back when I made my HS FPs and I'm not giving up that one now but I'm assuming it's going to be even more crowded that day so I wasn't going to go until close to FP time.  We'll see.  It's just my husband and I so there's no pressure to make sure the kids get to do everything which will be nice for a change.   

48 minutes ago, Seals said:

Even with fast phones I have terrible luck at lotteries/prize drawings.  We do have parkhoppers and I was planning vaguely to switch early afternoons to a different park each day.  Ideally I like to go to a resort to eat lunch and then go to a different park.   Both AK and HS I was only able to get late afternoon FP.   Our FP for Slinky Dog is late afternoon on March 4 which is the same day Micky and Minnie Railroad opens. That date wasn't announced back when I made my HS FPs and I'm not giving up that one now but I'm assuming it's going to be even more crowded that day so I wasn't going to go until close to FP time.  We'll see.  It's just my husband and I so there's no pressure to make sure the kids get to do everything which will be nice for a change.   

I don’t know if it’s true, but I heard that FP’s for the Runaway Railroad don’t begin until the afternoon of opening day. Unfortunately, that means the usual first day circus with guests showing up at 3 am and hoping to rope drop the ride. All of them will probably try for Rise of the Resistance FP’s as well. So, that will not be a pleasant situation for anybody. 

My girls are still blocked out of DHS, so we won’t be there for opening day of the new ride.  They will be riding it soon at CM previews though.

TCD

20 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yeah that ancient but functional phone will probably not score you a boarding group. But, you are welcome to join one of the 90 minute plus standby queues for the Millennium Falcon or Slinky Dog rides.  That’s what you get for being cheap.  WDW doesn’t want cheap or poor people.  They want dummies who waste money on the newest phones.  They’re more likely to buy one of those $300 lightsabers.  

TCD

I don't consider myself cheap. I consider it the Yankee sensibility I learned living in New England as a kid. If it isn't broken don't fix it, if it is broken but does the job repair it and if neither of those apply  throw in the barn someone will buy it someday as an antique.  

51 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I don't consider myself cheap. I consider it the Yankee sensibility I learned living in New England as a kid. If it isn't broken don't fix it, if it is broken but does the job repair it and if neither of those apply  throw in the barn someone will buy it someday as an antique.  

That's why we are sticking with our iPhone 6S Plus phones.  They still work!

When we switched to T-Mobile we couldn't bring our old Verizon phones over, so when we bought our "new" phones, the 8's were already out so we got the 6's at a decent price.

As soon as we started getting close to them being paid off, we started getting messages and calls from T-Mobile offering to upgrade us to the latest shiny toy.

As long as the battery holds out, or they don't die totally, we will keep using them.

A phone that costs as much as what a new car used to cost, better last a long damn time!

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

Okay, you’re prudent and practical. Disney doesn’t want that. They want guests who are frivolous and undisciplined with their spending. Not someone who turns down an $9 beer because they have a cooler full back at the campsite. 

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

A phone that costs as much as what a new car used to cost, better last a long damn time!

Okay boomer.

No boarding group for you either. 

TCD

22 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Okay, you’re prudent and practical. Disney doesn’t want that. They want guests who are frivolous and undisciplined with their spending. Not someone who turns down an $9 beer because they have a cooler full back at the campsite. 

Okay boomer.

No boarding group for you either. 

TCD

Isn't that a little low priced? :P

I thought that was the cost of a can of Coke!

I was shocked last time we went to EPCOT. 

Outside of the bathrooms going out to the bus lanes there was a landline phone, and it said you could make internal and outside local calls for no charge!

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Isn't that a little low priced? :P

I thought that was the cost of a can of Coke!

I was shocked last time we went to EPCOT. 

Outside of the bathrooms going out to the bus lanes there was a landline phone, and it said you could make internal and outside local calls for no charge!

LOL. I need to show that phone to my kids. They’ll be amazed. 

About the cost of a new phone.  Even the most expensive smart phones these days are way cheaper than what I paid for my first cell phone in 1986. I was a big shot back then and paid $2800 for a phone that was bolted into my car and did nothing other than make and receive phone calls. 

But boy was I cool. 

TCD