UPDATE 12/18 BP CHANGES !! Rise of the Resistance Bummer 12/4

25 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Never said DHS, I said WDW.......

Your words not mine.... Also, they don’t run out of boarding passes for an hour after park opening, where boarding passes are gone in 3 minutes at DHS.  So there has to be more people in the Park when it opens and on the app vs DL. 

Or maybe Disneyland’s version isn’t as messed up as WDW’s and has better capacity?

And if you were arguing that it was somehow relevant to the discussion that WDW has more visitors than Disneyland, then you lost me on what that has to do with the mess at DHS, which is the topic of this thread. 

TCD

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RotR still cant beat sipping a high quality bourbon under an awning at the Fort and maybe some subsequent golf cart riding. I'll ride it later. 

Retired cast are blocked out of HS through April and I won't be surprised if the blocking goes all summer.  I want to give a big THANK YOU to the WWz who got together and bought me a ticket to HS so I

Whelp, the TCD Gang rode ROTR today.  Its amazing. we agree that it's the best ride in a Disney park. And the TCD twins have been to Tokyo and Hong Kong.  I stand by my statement that t

7 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

And if you were arguing that it was somehow relevant to the discussion that WDW has more visitors than Disneyland, then you lost me on what that has to do with the mess at DHS, which is the topic of this thread. 

TCD

There are more people in the area at the Resorts and surrounding Hotels heading to DHS and in the park when it opens to grab the Boarding Groups, consequently they go much faster and are harder to acquire which is what creates the "MESS".....

Every time we've been back to DL/CA we've never had long lines at anything like we see at WDW.  We're going back to DL in November and I'll let you know if we encounter the "ZOO" that we see at WDW  (all the parks) regularly.

3 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

There are more people in the area at the Resorts and surrounding Hotels heading to DHS and in the park when it opens to grab the Boarding Groups, consequently they go much faster and are harder to acquire which is what creates the "MESS".....

Every time we've been back to DL/CA we've never had long lines at anything like we see at WDW.  We're going back to DL in November and I'll let you know if we encounter the "ZOO" that we see at WDW  (all the parks) regularly.

Hmmm. I think I see the problem. I don’t think you understand that only guests who have scanned in and are physically in DHS are able to try for a boarding group. The “people in the area at the resorts and surrounding hotels” cannot try for a boarding group. 

I would hope that my November things will be a lot smoother than they are now, and that you have a great time at Disneyland. 

TCD

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I can’t believe that the crowd level at DHS is anywhere close to the crowd level at Disneyland, let alone three times more. Since Disney closely guards its attendance figures, I don’t know how you or anyone can make that statement. 

Why is it so hard to accept the fact that the Rise of the Resistance attraction is a disaster at the moment?

TCD

Having a daughter who lives near Disneyland and who goes there frequently; I can tell you that Galaxy’s Edge is no where near as crowded as HS. In fact, she’s sent photos showing the lower crowds. When my daughter and son in law went to ride Rise of the Resistance, they got a hotel and were in line to get into Disneyland early in the morning. They still didn’t get to ride until later in the afternoon. There were still some issues with the ride there as well. A much larger percentage of people at Disneyland are locals and aren’t as desperate to ride Rise of the Resistance as those at HS who have paid a lot of money for a single trip to WDW. So even though my daughter had to get to Disneyland early there were fewer people who did not get to ride because there were fewer people trying. 

11 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don’t think you understand that only guests who have scanned in and are physically in DHS are able to try for a boarding group.

I did know that. My point is since there are many more people on property (34 Hotels plus the FORT) who get to DHS in the almost "PRE DAWN" hours, plus those who are coming from the off property hotels makes for a much larger crowd in the park than what would be in the gates at DL when the be-witching hour hits for the boarding groups to be activated on MDE. Thus they are gone in minutes and not hours. Thus the MESS.....   Hopefully in November everybody will be in Star Wars and we'll have the parks to ourselves..😀

21 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I'm confused as to why this new area with the boarding pass doesn't have a FP option, then a standby line.  Wouldn't that be easier?

That’s what they did when they opened Flight of Passage in Pandora, and the wait in the standby line was 4 hours plus for months after it opened. FOP had its own operation problems, but still had more capacity than ROTR does now. If they tried traditional standby plus FP, the standby time would be over 6 hours probably. 

A better question is why didn’t they open it as standby only like they did with the Millennium Falcon ride?  The fact that they didn’t confirms that ROTR operates so inconsistently that they couldn’t risk having a standby line, as people would wait for hours only to be evacuated or told that it will be another hour while they tried to get the ride back on line. That would be a PR nightmare. Using the boarding group system lets them hide the shortcomings of the attraction and the fact that they opened it before it was ready to handle the crowds.  

Lying to guests in this way lets them keep selling tickets. Maximizing short term profits on a quarter by quarter basis is all that matters to current management.

TCD

12 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That’s what they did when they opened Flight of Passage in Pandora, and the wait in the standby line was 4 hours plus for months after it opened. FOP had its own operation problems, but still had more capacity than ROTR does now. If they tried traditional standby plus FP, the standby time would be over 6 hours probably. 

A better question is why didn’t they open it as standby only like they did with the Millennium Falcon ride?  The fact that they didn’t confirms that ROTR operates so inconsistently that they couldn’t risk having a standby line, as people would wait for hours only to be evacuated or told that it will be another hour while they tried to get the ride back on line. That would be a PR nightmare. Using the boarding group system lets them hide the shortcomings of the attraction and the fact that they opened it before it was ready to handle the crowds.  

Lying to guests in this way lets them keep selling tickets. Maximizing short term profits on a quarter by quarter basis is all that matters to current management.

TCD

I am ok with the BP system. I just wish they would keep the park open late enough to guarantee everyone a ride that day if they got there within the first hour of park opening.

11 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

I am ok with the BP system. I just wish they would keep the park open late enough to guarantee everyone a ride that day if they got there within the first hour of park opening.

Yes, extended hours at this park would be helpful.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:17 PM, djsamuel said:

A much larger percentage of people at Disneyland are locals and aren’t as desperate to ride Rise of the Resistance as those at HS who have paid a lot of money for a single trip to WDW.

Being supported by locals has always been the big difference between Disneyland and WDW. Being local really does reduce the feeling that you must get to the park and rush to get everything in. When I lived in SoCal it was very common for friends and myself to decide to go to the park on the spur of the moment. Talking with family that still lives there that type behavior really hasn't changed. 

So for WDW, what would the best solution have been?  Considering the difficulties in getting this ride online, on both coasts, should they have waited until they could have done the CM previews in order to run high demand stress tests?   Even if the ride at DHS was operating at full capacity, the BP option is still better than opening with all standby lines.  Not having to wait 2, 4, 6 or more hours in line is a good thing, to my way of thinking.  It doesn't matter if the ride is running perfectly.  Because it is new, it will still have a huge demand on it for a number of years.  Look at 7DMT.  That's a kiddie coaster.  In any other park it would never have generated a 20 minute line, much less the 3 hour lines it had the first year of operation. 

I don't believe there is any scenario where the opening of RotR would not have been some sort of s**t show.

I apologize for the error of thinking the CM's, both current and retired, got preview rides. 

38 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

So for WDW, what would the best solution have been?  Considering the difficulties in getting this ride online, on both coasts, should they have waited until they could have done the CM previews in order to run high demand stress tests?   Even if the ride at DHS was operating at full capacity, the BP option is still better than opening with all standby lines.  Not having to wait 2, 4, 6 or more hours in line is a good thing, to my way of thinking.  It doesn't matter if the ride is running perfectly.  Because it is new, it will still have a huge demand on it for a number of years.  Look at 7DMT.  That's a kiddie coaster.  In any other park it would never have generated a 20 minute line, much less the 3 hour lines it had the first year of operation. 

I don't believe there is any scenario where the opening of RotR would not have been some sort of s**t show.

I apologize for the error of thinking the CM's, both current and retired, got preview rides. 

The best solution would have been to spend the time and money needed during the four years that guests had to wait for this blockbuster attraction to open to make sure that it was capable of operating for at least 12 continuous hours a day at or near full capacity. 

If that meant they needed to further delay the opening, then that’s what they should have done.

Instead, corners were cut and they opened the attraction knowing full well that it was incapable of reliable operation. The result is daily breakdowns and shortened hours so they can try to rig things and make them work. Even with all of that, guests are being sent through the attraction with nonfunctional special effects and broken animatronics. 

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The best solution would have been to spend the time and money needed during the four years that guests had to wait for this blockbuster attraction to open to make sure that it was capable of operating for at least 12 continuous hours a day at or near full capacity. 

If that meant they needed to further delay the opening, then that’s what they should have done.

Instead, corners were cut and they opened the attraction knowing full well that it was incapable of reliable operation. The result is daily breakdowns and shortened hours so they can try to rig things and make them work. Even with all of that, guests are being sent through the attraction with nonfunctional special effects and broken animatronics. 

TCD

Universal had/has the same issue with Hagrid's ride breaking down and shortened hours to allow for repairs.

One article I read shortly after it opened is that the equipment is getting beat up and worn out just about everyday requiring a lot of parts to be replaced.

Not sure how true that is, but I guess they are still running it on reduced hours.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

Universal had/has the same issue with Hagrid's ride breaking down and shortened hours to allow for repairs.

One article I read shortly after it opened is that the equipment is getting beat up and worn out just about everyday requiring a lot of parts to be replaced.

Not sure how true that is, but I guess they are still running it on reduced hours.

That is true.  A friend of mine works on maintaining that ride.  Another problem is inadequate staffing to handle the increased maintenance of that ride.

Ashleigh and I are down here now. We got up early this morning, and was at the park at 7:15.  They started letting everyone in at around 7:20-ish.  The herd was gathered and held in the area just before the entrance of the Star Wars "tunnel".  At 8:00 sharp, we managed to grab boarding group 19.  We were off the ride by 9:30.

All in all it was a cool ride, and Disney did a great job of immersing you in the story.  I'm glad I did it, however, I still think Flight of Passage in Pandora is a better experience.  I guess I don't have to get up before dawn anymore to try to snag that coveted boarding group. Maybe in about 2 years, or the next new and shiny thing comes along, I'll get to ride RotR again.

53 minutes ago, Duane said:

Ashleigh and I are down here now. We got up early this morning, and was at the park at 7:15.  They started letting everyone in at around 7:20-ish.  The herd was gathered and held in the area just before the entrance of the Star Wars "tunnel".  At 8:00 sharp, we managed to grab boarding group 19.  We were off the ride by 9:30.

All in all it was a cool ride, and Disney did a great job of immersing you in the story.  I'm glad I did it, however, I still think Flight of Passage in Pandora is a better experience.  I guess I don't have to get up before dawn anymore to try to snag that coveted boarding group. Maybe in about 2 years, or the next new and shiny thing comes along, I'll get to ride RotR again.

Fantastic!  Gosh... I hope we have your luck.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:39 PM, Travisma said:

Wow, that sounds like some super bad engineering right there!  It's not like they didn't have a clue about what kind of capacity to expect it to have to handle.

If that thing was a car it would probably be covered under the Lemon Law up here.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:27 PM, Duane said:

Glad you had some great luck and got to ride!

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

There was a post late yesterday that Resistance had numerous and extended breakdowns  so they shut it down at 4 PM.

Yeesh.

Was talking with my SIL yesterday.  She was there with my nephew a week ago and even though they're big Star Wars fans and did all the other SW things, they didn't even try to ride ROR.  Similar to what we've been saying here, she couldn't see the point of getting up in the dark to go stand in a crowd for a CHANCE to ride it. 

But we also agreed that because she's someone that's able to go frequently, it's not a big deal as she knows she'll get a chance to do it another time.  Totally different for people who are there for "one big trip" who may not be back, and don't have the flexibility in their schedule.

I stand by my statement, the Hype machine is now set to  Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. It is amazing to see Hollywood studios change from one of the least desired parks to the one with three and four hour waits, and one ride that you will never ride, unless you are there at rope drop, and are fortunate to get a chance to win a boarding pass. I would prefer NOT spending the day waiting in line.

• 3 months later...