More Information on Flamingo Crossing Expansion

It's gonna be a regular town!

And Western Way will become just like I-4!

Disney Announces New Stores and Restaurants Coming to Flamingo Crossings

Disney has announced some new restaurants and retailers coming to Flamingo Crossings Town Center, which lies just west of Walt Disney World in Orlando. Once complete, the mix-used center will offer more than 50 shopping and dining options, plus 1,700 parking spaces.

A 250,000-square-foot Target, which was announced at the D23 Expo, will be the primary anchor, but in addition Disney has secured PDQ, Bento Asian Kitchen + Sushi, Five Guys, Ben & Jerry’s, and Dunkin’. Walgreens is also set to build a store on the outer edge of the center.    (Along with 8 Starbucks)!!:lol:

Target is set to open in 2021.

Disney also reviewed the plans for hotels in the area. SpringHill Suites by Marriott and Townplace Suites by Marriott are already open, but by the end of 2020 four more hotels will open: Residence Inn by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, Homewood Suites by Hilton, and Home2 Suites by Hilton.

By 2021, Hampton by Hilton will open, taking the total at Flamingo Crossings to 1,750 rooms.

Finally, more new campus-style housing is coming nearby for students that participate in Disney’s Internships and College Program. American Campus Communities is building housing for up to 10,400 students, with the first phase open in 2020 and the project complete by mid-2023.

In addition to the student housing, another 1,300 apartments are planned for the area.

The most important part of this article is the bit about student housing. 

Disney currently houses the college program participants in three big apartment complexes on the other side of I-4. The new housing will consolidate all of them- 10,000+ over in the Flamingo Crossing area. That is a lot of people. And all of them will be commuting onto WDW property 5+ days a week. 

They currently have a bus system for the college program participants- that will continue. But now all of those buses will be going back and forth on Western Way. Essentially 24/7. 

This area will be booming. And overwhelmed with people. 

TCD

5 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The most important part of this article is the bit about student housing. 

Disney currently houses the college program participants in three big apartment complexes on the other side of I-4. The new housing will consolidate all of them- 10,000+ over in the Flamingo Crossing area. That is a lot of people. And all of them will be commuting onto WDW property 5+ days a week. 

They currently have a bus system for the college program participants- that will continue. But now all of those buses will be going back and forth on Western Way. Essentially 24/7. 

This area will be booming. And overwhelmed with people. 

TCD

We enjoyed staying at the 2 original hotels.  Easy to get to and from the parks, not overcrowded, and great rates.

Only drawback was a lack of places to pick up snacks, drinks, etc.

That is sure changing.

And traffic will be a nightmare.

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

We enjoyed staying at the 2 original hotels.  Easy to get to and from the parks, not overcrowded, and great rates.

Only drawback was a lack of places to pick up snacks, drinks, etc.

That is sure changing.

And traffic will be a nightmare.

Yes, those hotels have been kind of isolated on that spot. If you've been there lately, I'm sure you saw the massive student housing project. Those hotels will now be in the thick of things. 

TCD

10 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yes, those hotels have been kind of isolated on that spot. If you've been there lately, I'm sure you saw the massive student housing project. Those hotels will now be in the thick of things. 

TCD

There are 2 new hotels currently going up further West on the N side too.  It also looks like the work is being done at the intersection of Avalon and Western Way which is supposed to connect it to Saw Grass Bay on 27. The shopping center is also under construction  on the S side of W.W, again further West.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

There are 2 new hotels going up further West on the N side too.  It also looks like the work is being done at the intersection of Avalon and Western Way which is supposed to connect it to Saw Grass Bay on 27. The shopping center is also under construction  on the S side of W.W, again further West.

Good point. And on top of that, there are housing projects popping up everywhere around the other 429 exits north and south of the Western Way exit. There is also a lot of road construction, but it doesn't seem like anywhere near adequate to handle what's coming. 

TCD

58 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Good point. And on top of that, there are housing projects popping up everywhere around the other 429 exits north and south of the Western Way exit. There is also a lot of road construction, but it doesn't seem like anywhere near adequate to handle what's coming. 

TCD

Avalon Road is being widened to 4 lanes the entire length.  It looks like a traffic light will be in place at Western Way and Avalon, and there is a lot of construction currently blocking Flamingo Way at Avalon.  A big problem area will be the intersection of Western Way and Buena Vista Drive. That really backs up now each day around shift change times and especially normal rush hours.  Also, the intersection of Avalon and 192 can be a nightmare.  Finally Hartzog Road will be an issue, especially now that a large Del Webb 55+ community is just starting construction right on Hartzog, about halfway to the Western Way.

6 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Avalon Road is being widened to 4 lanes the entire length.  It looks like a traffic light will be in place at Western Way and Avalon, and there is a lot of construction currently blocking Flamingo Way at Avalon.  A big problem area will be the intersection of Western Way and Buena Vista Drive. That really backs up now each day around shift change times and especially normal rush hours.  Also, the intersection of Avalon and 192 can be a nightmare.  Finally Hartzog Road will be an issue, especially now that a large Del Webb 55+ community is just starting construction right on Hartzog, about halfway to the Western Way.

It's hard to imagine that there are that many people that need housing and another Starbucks (or Publix) in those areas.  Do they move out of current housing to go into newer ones?

It's the same around Tampa. 

I didn't think that many people are moving into FL every day to justify all of the new apartments and sub-divisions being built.

Just now, Travisma said:

It's hard to imagine that there are that many people that need housing and another Starbucks (or Publix) in those areas.  Do they move out of current housing to go into newer ones?

I didn't think that many people are moving into FL every day to justify all of the new apartments and sub-divisions being built.

The construction up Avalon is mind boggling.  I have no idea where the people are coming from, but they need to get a handle on it.  As far as all of those Starbucks; I must be too old!  I just don't get it. 😀

Just now, Travisma said:

If you drive around what used to be some of the back roads in Winter Garden and Windermere, you'd be shocked at the endless new subdivisions popping up. And these little houses on tiny lots are going for $300K and up.

I have the same question- who is buying these houses. It sure ain't Disney CM's. They can't afford those prices. 

TCD

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you drive around what used to be some of the back roads in Winter Garden and Windermere, you'd be shocked at the endless new subdivisions popping up. And these little houses on tiny lots are going for $300K and up.

I have the same question- who is buying these houses. It sure ain't Disney CM's. They can't afford those prices. 

TCD

That's for sure. They are probably hard pressed to afford the apartment rentals also.

I'm surprised Disney doesn't build a "company town" where the workers get indebted to them and have to pay them back the rest of their lives like the coal miners used to do.

I know it's endless building on 54 from the Suncoast out to Trinity/Little road.

Where are all the people coming from?  

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

A lot of the people buying have one family member working at Disney.  My wife worked at Disney for years while I have what she calls the "serious job" earning more money and the serious benefits.  Her job, even retired, provides some great "fun" benefits that save us a fortune.  I know several families who recently moved to the area from the midwest and the east coast (and one from the West Coast) and they do not work at Disney.  The Orlando economy is really starting to boom in the high tech sector although it gets overshadowed by the tourism industry.  

3 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

A lot of the people buying have one family member working at Disney.  My wife worked at Disney for years while I have what she calls the "serious job" earning more money and the serious benefits.  Her job, even retired, provides some great "fun" benefits that save us a fortune.  I know several families who recently moved to the area from the midwest and the east coast (and one from the West Coast) and they do not work at Disney.  The Orlando economy is really starting to boom in the high tech sector although it gets overshadowed by the tourism industry.  

I hear you about the Disney employees. My daughters have several CM friends whose parents have invested in homes for them. Must be nice.

So there is that. 

As for the high tech jobs, where are they located?  With traffic, these new homes are an hour away from downtown Orlando and the UCF area. Where do all of these new folks work?

TCD

Another litte "TID-BIT"..

For the current year, Florida's population is expected to increase by 332,637 people. Between 2020 and 2021, it's estimated the population will grow by 324,025 people, and 314,977 the following year. For the 2022-2023 year, estimates are for 305,560; 294,727 for 2023-2024 and 284,673 for the following year.Aug 13, 2019

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I hear you about the Disney employees. My daughters have several CM friends whose parents have invested in homes for them. Must be nice.

So there is that. 

As for the high tech jobs, where are they located?  With traffic, these new homes are an hour away from downtown Orlando and the UCF area. Where do all of these new folks work?

TCD

Many people, including me, commute daily from west of Orlando to east Orlando.  Some jobs are located along Sand Lake road, around the Lockheed Martin facility there.  I have several friends commuting from Clermont to that area. 

The downtown Orlando area has a growing digital media industry.  Companies such as EA are planning on moving to the center of Orlando from Maitland in a few years.  I know several people who commute from the Clermont/Winter Garden area up to Maitland for EA and will do the same when EA moves.  East Orlando (near UCF) has a really large simulation industry, anchored by the military and large companies like Lockheed Martin on Lake Underhill road, Boeing, and others. 

I commute from Clermont to near UCF.  It isn't a bad drive and the East Orlando area is just too dense for me. Also, a lot of people enjoy the Clermont/Winter Garden area a lot.  It is a great place to live.

4 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Where are they all coming from? Florida is still a popular target for retirees from the North East and Upper Midwest. I expect many of them are in a position house wise where they have plenty of equity from their current large house to pay cash for a retirement house in the Orlando area.

That might be it- but it doesn't seem like a lot of these communities are geared toward retirees. Some definitely are, but it's a lot more than that  

TCD

19 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That might be it- but it doesn't seem like a lot of these communities are geared toward retirees. Some definitely are, but it's a lot more than that  

TCD

I think a lot of retirees are like Rene and myself. We aren't looking for a place that is geared to retirees or a retirement community. In our case we are looking for an area that has a decent sized walkable downtown with plenty of local restaurants and shops, has a vibrant arts scene, close by outdoor activities and not too far from an urban area. Here in NC this type of an area usually has a healthy mix of all age groups though they do tend to be younger over all. Admittedly we don't really know the region well but we have seen some areas in the Orlando metro that appear meet these criteria as well.   

14 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

With more and more "work from home" jobs along with the fact that several "high tax" states such as Illinois are losing over 6.5 per 1,000 FL is an ideal place to go.

25 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I think a lot of retirees are like Rene and myself. We aren't looking for a place that is geared to retirees or a retirement community. In our case we are looking for an area that has a decent sized walkable downtown with plenty of local restaurants and shops, has a vibrant arts scene, close by outdoor activities and not too far from an urban area. Here in NC this type of an area usually has a healthy mix of all age groups though they do tend to be younger over all. Admittedly we don't really know the region well but we have seen some areas in the Orlando metro that appear meet these criteria as well.   

It seems like the majority of new sub-divisions being built still don't make anything walkable.

To me, it would seem like the developer would offer space within the development for grocery stores, gas stations, etc, to make it easier for the residents to get what they need instead of having to drive a mile to get out of the sub-division then another couple of miles to get to a store along overcrowded streets.

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

It seems like the majority of new sub-divisions being built still don't make anything walkable.

To me, it would seem like the developer would offer space within the development for grocery stores, gas stations, etc, to make it easier for the residents to get what they need instead of having to drive a mile to get out of the sub-division then another couple of miles to get to a store along overcrowded streets.

I blame local government for that, Lake County is a prime example. There are numerous "Golf Cart Communities" between 192 and Saw Grass, but the county didn't require or build any sidewalks along 27 for carts to use. They just spent tons of money to upgrade 27 and did nothing to upgrade the walks.

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

With more and more "work from home" jobs along with the fact that several "high tax" states such as Illinois are losing over 6.5 per 1,000 FL is an ideal place to go.

I know several situations where families consisting of around 30 year old parents and their kids either move their work from home location or take new jobs to escape high cost areas to enjoy the relatively low cost and income tax free status of Florida.  After they move, the grandparents retire and follow them down; buying their own home nearby.  About half of the homes in our development are parent/grandparent pairs, or even triplets.

55 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I know several situations where families consisting of around 30 year old parents and their kids either move their work from home location or take new jobs to escape high cost areas to enjoy the relatively low cost and income tax free status of Florida.  After they move, the grandparents retire and follow them down; buying their own home nearby.  About half of the homes in our development are parent/grandparent pairs, or even triplets.

I'll be able to work from home in June when I retire!

19 hours ago, keith_h said:

If you are thinking of the greater Orlando area for a new place to live, consider Lake Nona.  It is located in the city of Orlando, but not the downtown area.  It is only minutes from the airport, and is being hailed as a community of tomorrow.  Located in the neighborhood is a relatively new children's hospital, a new and perhaps the largest VA hospital in the country, and part of a UCF (?) campus.  And, I believe a new medical school, and/or hospital is under development there.  While there are only a few shops in the complex right now, there are all kind of shops/restaurants on Narcossee Blvd. which borders the area, including the Lake Nona High School.  There are a couple of lux type apartment buildings in the plan, so a family can try out the area before buying property. We toured several of the new houses, but they were all too big (4 bedrooms) for we empty nesters.  Very walkable and bikeable.  About 30 minutes to WDW via FL 417 (toll road), and easy.