More Information on Flamingo Crossing Expansion

On 12/17/2019 at 7:29 AM, PghBob said:

If you are thinking of the greater Orlando area for a new place to live, consider Lake Nona.  It is located in the city of Orlando, but not the downtown area.  It is only minutes from the airport, and is being hailed as a community of tomorrow.  Located in the neighborhood is a relatively new children's hospital, a new and perhaps the largest VA hospital in the country, and part of a UCF (?) campus.  And, I believe a new medical school, and/or hospital is under development there.  While there are only a few shops in the complex right now, there are all kind of shops/restaurants on Narcossee Blvd. which borders the area, including the Lake Nona High School.  There are a couple of lux type apartment buildings in the plan, so a family can try out the area before buying property. We toured several of the new houses, but they were all too big (4 bedrooms) for we empty nesters.  Very walkable and bikeable.  About 30 minutes to WDW via FL 417 (toll road), and easy.

Nothing personal but we would never move to Florida. We are happy with central and western North Carolina with four seasons and moderate winters. Right now we are leaning towards the Pinehurst  and Southern Pines area as it would put us about 20 - 25 minutes from the grandson. Both have pretty much everything we are looking for and land prices are reasonable to where we can have enough room to also build a good size RV barn. We are also considering the Hendersonville and Asheville areas up in the mountains but that turns into a 4 hour drive to see the grandson. The mountains are sure nice though. 

When I was work traveling to Orlando extensively, I learned quickly that my work was all the way over by UCF, and any company I would want to work for was over there by UCF. When traveling for work, that was a lot of miles and tolls across 417 to get to Disney.

We seriously considered relocating to the I-4 corridor about 3 years ago. Did some house hunting, and tiny lots (meaning a two story house to get any SF), with high prices, and high HOA fees, high property taxes, (plus too much stucco and no brick), really turned us off. Plus the salary being offered were less than here in N. Alabama with larger lots, lower home prices, low property taxes, etc. Yes, we have a state tax, but everything else offsets that.

We decided to stay put.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

When I was work traveling to Orlando extensively, I learned quickly that my work was all the way over by UCF, and any company I would want to work for was over there by UCF. When traveling for work, that was a lot of miles and tolls across 417 to get to Disney.

We seriously considered relocating to the I-4 corridor about 3 years ago. Did some house hunting, and tiny lots (meaning a two story house to get any SF), with high prices, and high HOA fees, high property taxes, (plus too much stucco and no brick), really turned us off. Plus the salary being offered were less than here in N. Alabama with larger lots, lower home prices, low property taxes, etc. Yes, we have a state tax, but everything else offsets that.

We decided to stay put.

Not only stayed put, but moved closer to me.