Disney and Virgin Trains USA Confirm Talks to Build a Disney World Terminal Are in “Advanced Stages”

In what is a welcome piece of news for guests visiting Disney World from outside the Orlando area, Disney and Virgin Trains USA are in advanced talks for a train station to built on or near the resort. According to the Orlando Sentinel, Michael Cegelis, Virgin’s EVP for Infrastructure, told local officials that talks with Disney are in a “rather advanced state now.”

This station, whether built on or near Disney property, would be a part of the proposed rail line to Tampa. The Tampa rail line would start at the Orlando International Airport, the termination of the Miami to Orlando line which is slated to open in 2022.

“While we have not yet made any definitive commitment, we have mutually agreed to more formally explore developing a train station on our property,” stated a Disney official, “As the top vacation destination and largest single-site employer in the United States, Walt Disney World Resort is an obvious choice for a rail station between Orlando International Airport and Tampa.”

Virgin is still working with the Central Florida Expressway Authority, the Florida Department of Transportation and the Orlando Utilities Commission to negotiate leases and right-of-ways for the Orlando to Tampa line. Additional proposed stops on this rail line include the SunRail Meadow Woods station and Lakeland.

Construction of a Walt Disney World rail station would provide guests another option in traveling to and from the resort. A high-speed rail line would provide a quick and inexpensive option for guests traveling from the airport, downtown Orlando, and even Tampa.

I'll believe it when I see it. And, if it ever happens, I can't see any reason why I would ever use it. The people behind this want to build the Tampa stop in a blighted area where they can buy up land for cheap and develop it with the train as an amenity. 

A train from MCO to WDW would be great. But extending it to Tampa so they can build another commercial and residential development I'm against. If they had it go to Tampa airport, that would be good, but that isn't their plan.

TCD

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'll believe it when I see it. And, if it ever happens, I can't see any reason why I would ever use it. The people behind this want to build the Tampa stop in a blighted area where they can buy up land for cheap and develop it with the train as an amenity. 

A train from MCO to WDW would be great. But extending it to Tampa so they can build another commercial and residential development I'm against. If they had it go to Tampa airport, that would be good, but that isn't their plan.

TCD

The Amtrak service out of Tampa is weird also.

Stops downtown which was fine at the turn of the century.

A lot of the trips you get from there, you get loaded on a bus ride to Orlando to get a connecting train.

18 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The people behind this want to build the Tampa stop in a blighted area where they can buy up land for cheap and develop it with the train as an amenity. 

Same thing is happening up this area with the oh-so-long rumored extension of the commuter train into Boston.  Could work up here, not sure how well that works in Tampa.

That said I won't be surprised if Disney hitches their wagon to this train (pun totally intended).  More people coming in and no need for additional parking?  Sounds like another Disney win.

17 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Same thing is happening up this area with the oh-so-long rumored extension of the commuter train into Boston.  Could work up here, not sure how well that works in Tampa.

That said I won't be surprised if Disney hitches their wagon to this train (pun totally intended).  More people coming in and no need for additional parking?  Sounds like another Disney win.

They've been kicking this idea around in one form or another for years, connecting Tampa to WDW.

But for the cost to go round trip for a family of 4, you could buy 2 or 3 tanks of gas for your pick up.

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

They've been kicking this idea around in one form or another for years, connecting Tampa to WDW.

But for the cost to go round trip for a family of 4, you could buy 2 or 3 tanks of gas for your pick up.

That plus all the local governments between Tampa and Orlando want stops in their cities. By the time the train makes all of those stops, driving is faster. 

TCD

9 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That plus all the local governments between Tampa and Orlando want stops in their cities. By the time the train makes all of those stops, driving is faster. 

TCD

I took the train once to Orlando since I was buying a car there.  Went into the downtown area and my daughter picked me up.

It was a great ride, lot more comfortable than flying!

Also took it down to the Mirimar area.  Again a great ride. 

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Except "What DISNEY wants DISNEY gets"....can't say that applies to all local governments.