Disappointed in the direction of the fort

My family and I decided to visit the fort and have dinner at trails end this past Sunday. We have not visited since we camped there in May of 2018.  I don’t post much here anymore since I’m not a camper anymore and I will rarely post but will from time to time. We knew there were changes happening at the fort due to the new abomination that’s not being built next door, but being built right on top of the fort.  We were disgusted on what they are doing at the settlement area. With all that’s being taken away, we were surprised they didn’t tear down pioneer hall. They are basically building right around it on three sides. We also loved the sign that stated “enjoy our new beach”. They basically  took the lounge chairs and put them right of the docks on a piece of sand not even the fraction of the size of the old beach.  Moving the playground to the middle of the golf cart path is an accident waiting to happen.  Once again, we were so blessed to spend time at the fort when Disney cared about the campers. IMHO i don’t think taking some trees down and throwing rock down to make a meadows parking lot is a huge improvement. Just so sad. 😥😥😥😥

My first trip to the Fort was in 1974.  I've seen a lot of changes. 

Campsites taken over by rental trailers.

Fort Wilderness train gone

Building of the cabin loops

Slow erosion of theming and holiday decorations.

Ever increasing Prices

I could keep going, but every time there is a change folks accept it.  Newer legions of RV enthusiasts find the Fort and declare it the nicest campground of all.   They accept the way things are because then never knew the beginning.

The construction site looks horrible.  The previews of the new resort are not my taste.  But, somehow I think Disney will make it work together.  They always have.

3 hours ago, tim5055 said:

My first trip to the Fort was in 1974.  I've seen a lot of changes. 

Campsites taken over by rental trailers.

Fort Wilderness train gone

Building of the cabin loops

Slow erosion of theming and holiday decorations.

Ever increasing Prices

I could keep going, but every time there is a change folks accept it.  Newer legions of RV enthusiasts find the Fort and declare it the nicest campground of all.   They accept the way things are because then never knew the beginning.

The construction site looks horrible.  The previews of the new resort are not my taste.  But, somehow I think Disney will make it work together.  They always have.

I agree. If I don’t pay or visit, someone else will.  That’s what justifies a new DVC resort.  Just like this site. 10 years ago was a whole different group of campers here. I think many gave up camping at the fort, some still troll here and others like myself gave it up all together.  This will probably be my last post here for a long time.  Good luck all

I have been watching the Fort change since 1979. And while a lot of the changes we haven't loved some have turned out ok. Our least favorite has been the price increase. At this point I don't like all the changes that are going on at the Fort, but it may turn out to be great we haven't seen the final work yet.  So I am hoping the Disney magic will somehow keep the Fort a great place to camp.

15 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

It is a shame what the settlement has become. The replacement beach is a slap in the face to campers. Our last trip I didn't even attempt to find a rocking chair at Crocketts 

There were several available yesterday and they even added regular chairs which I've never seen before. 

We thought it was unusually quiet for Christmas Day. Over a dozen parking spaces open up front and the only about 18 vehicles in the grass by the HItch/Un-hitch. We did see a new parking area in the grass by the riding stable and even it had a lot of open spots.  Only 4 GC's in the grass by the Outpost bus stop and probably 20 GC's still available for rent. Even the GC's on the road were sparse yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

There were several available yesterday and they even added regular chairs which I've never seen before. 

We thought it was unusually quiet for Christmas Day. Over a dozen parking spaces open up front and the only about 18 vehicles in the grass by the HItch/Un-hitch. We did see a new parking area in the grass by the riding stable and even it had a lot of open spots.  Only 4 GC's in the grass by the Outpost bus stop and probably 20 GC's still available for rent. Even the GC's on the road were sparse yesterday. 

It was quiet during the day here yesterday. Definitely became more active last night though. 

The changes and big price increases have me concerned but it is still the best place to camp.  The big boom in RV sales over the last few years has created an increase in customers who have heard how great the Fort is.  Everyone has stayed at a so called high end resort or campground that cost almost as much as the Fort with none of the amenities of the fort.  The big price increases have reduced the number of times I can afford to go to the fort but I still go.  The problem I am now having is that there used to be certain months during the year that were quiet or not busy.  That's not the case anymore.  Its hard to get a reservation any time of the year.

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

My point was that I had no desire to sit in the rocking chairs now that the view is construction fencing. We were there at Thanksgiving with both the new playground and old playground area surrounded by green fencing it was not a pretty view. Plus they did not even have the Christmas tree up.

1 hour ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

My point was that I had no desire to sit in the rocking chairs now that the view is construction fencing. We were there at Thanksgiving with both the new playground and old playground area surrounded by green fencing it was not a pretty view. Plus they did not even have the Christmas tree up.

Thought you were referring to them disappearing periodically..   Except for the fence around the old playground, all was pretty much back to normal. Tree looked good too.