13 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

We have a spot inside the park at St. Mary's campground, which is at the entrance to the drive, but  I'm not expecting the Going To The Sun road to be open.  Initial plan it to arrive early and snag an easy hike (I'm the hiker and my oldest will keep up with me as long as the hike doesn't put you on a cliff, but my youngest will poop out much quicker and daddy doesn't join us until later in the trip so easy hikes is all we'll do).  The next day I think we'll take Hwy 2 (I believe it is) over to W. Glacier for the day.

At TRNP, we're inside the park at Cottonwood.  Prairie dogs ARE hilarious.  I remember when I moved to CO in 1995, I was moving from WA state and had never seen a prairie dog... they line the road on the drive into Denver.  I pulled over and watched them for a good 30 minutes.  They are funny little creatures. 

Lucky you staying at St. Mary's campground. It's a really nice location right inside the entrance to the park.  We visited there every evening for the campfire talks which were excellent. Also bears were seen quite frequently at the entrance to the campground. 

Lucky you again staying at Cottonwood in TRNP. We stayed at the Medora Campground and drove thru Cottonwood to check it out. Next time it would definitely be our preference over the Medora Campground. It would just take a bit more planning as it's a boondocking experience-potable water is available but no dump station. 

You've done some great research and planning. May your journey be blessed, joyous and full of wonder.

5 hours ago, Breezy2 said:

Lucky you staying at St. Mary's campground. It's a really nice location right inside the entrance to the park.  We visited there every evening for the campfire talks which were excellent. Also bears were seen quite frequently at the entrance to the campground. 

Lucky you again staying at Cottonwood in TRNP. We stayed at the Medora Campground and drove thru Cottonwood to check it out. Next time it would definitely be our preference over the Medora Campground. It would just take a bit more planning as it's a boondocking experience-potable water is available but no dump station. 

You've done some great research and planning. May your journey be blessed, joyous and full of wonder.

Thank you.  We are incredibly blessed for the opportunity.

On 1/27/2020 at 5:28 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

Devils Tower on your way from Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore. Crazy Horse Memorial near Rushmore. Custer State Park near Rushmore.  

Can't agree with this more.  Add the town of Keystone and spend some time there.  Also, Badlands and Wind Cave National Parks are great. The crafts being sold at Crazy Horse and the people selling them are terrific.  As a side story, my wife's family used to take their camper from NJ to South Dakota to take clothes collected at their church to an episcopal priest named Father Two Hawk.  The clothes were for the Native Americans there.  While visiting, my wife and her siblings would ride horses and play with the children on the reservation.  Several years ago when we were at Crazy Horse, my wife was talking to a woman who was making a dream catcher for our daughter.  In the course of the conversation, my wife mentioned her trips to Father Two Hawk and why they came.  the woman, who was my wife's age, stopped what she was doing and said, "I got my clothes from Father Two Hawk when I was a child."  Here she was at the same reservation at the same time my wife would visit.  And they met almost 40 years later.

3 hours ago, djsamuel said:

While visiting, my wife and her siblings would ride horses and play with the children on the reservation.  Several years ago when we were at Crazy Horse, my wife was talking to a woman who was making a dream catcher for our daughter.  In the course of the conversation, my wife mentioned her trips to Father Two Hawk and why they came.  the woman, who was my wife's age, stopped what she was doing and said, "I got my clothes from Father Two Hawk when I was a child."  Here she was at the same reservation at the same time my wife would visit.  And they met almost 40 years later.

That's fantastic...

• 1 month later...

Okay... route is finally finished and necessary reservations, made ;)  Wish I could figure out how to get one of those online maps to work (one that holds this many stops); still working on that.  I can tell you that we'll be gone almost 8 weeks and travel almost 7000 miles.  Here's what we've got (starting at home in the Atlanta area of Georgia.. a couple of quick overnight/dry camping spots not mentioned).  Most of these stops are 2/3 nights 

• Creation Museum in KY
  • Driving through Indianapolis (we may stop at the science museum)
  • Springfield, IL to visit Lincoln Presidential library and museum 
  • State Park in SD to visit Sioux Falls and surrounding area
  • DeSmet, SD to visit the Laura Ingalls homestead (we'll also stop by the Corn Palace)
  • Fort Lincoln SP in ND
  • Theodore Roosevelt Nation Park in ND
  • Saint Mary's Campground, East Glacier National Park, MT
  • Banff National Park, Canada
  • Moses Lake, Wa (parent live there, we'll be there a week)
  • Mt. Vernon, Wa (I'm from the Skagit Valley and my brothers are still there)
  • Medford, OR (family reunion)
  • Bandon, OR (while we're here, we'll day trip up to see the Sea Lion caves and down to visit Redwood National)
  • Crater Lake National NP
  • Jackson Hole, WY
  • Grand Tetons NP
  • Yellowstone NP
  • Mt. Rushmore and surrounding area
  • Oklahoma City (back down to visit the science museum... thanks for that initial recommendation, Ray ^_^)
  • Little Rock, AK
  • Back to GA

We're leaving after Memorial Day....  

3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Okay... route is finally finished and necessary reservations, made ;)  Wish I could figure out how to get one of those online maps to work (one that holds this many stops); still working on that.  I can tell you that we'll be gone almost 8 weeks and travel almost 7000 miles.  Here's what we've got (starting at home in the Atlanta area of Georgia.. a couple of quick overnight/dry camping spots not mentioned).  Most of these stops are 2/3 nights 

• Creation Museum in KY
  • Driving through Indianapolis (we may stop at the science museum)
  • Springfield, IL to visit Lincoln Presidential library and museum 
  • State Park in SD to visit Sioux Falls and surrounding area
  • DeSmet, SD to visit the Laura Ingalls homestead (we'll also stop by the Corn Palace)
  • Fort Lincoln SP in ND
  • Theodore Roosevelt Nation Park in ND
  • Saint Mary's Campground, East Glacier National Park, MT
  • Banff National Park, Canada
  • Moses Lake, Wa (parent live there, we'll be there a week)
  • Mt. Vernon, Wa (I'm from the Skagit Valley and my brothers are still there)
  • Medford, OR (family reunion)
  • Bandon, OR (while we're here, we'll day trip up to see the Sea Lion caves and down to visit Redwood National)
  • Crater Lake National NP
  • Jackson Hole, WY
  • Grand Tetons NP
  • Yellowstone NP
  • Mt. Rushmore and surrounding area
  • Oklahoma City (back down to visit the science museum... thanks for that initial recommendation, Ray ^_^)
  • Little Rock, AK
  • Back to GA

We're leaving after Memorial Day....  

Just a warning when you travel through SD cell service is very spotty. I had Verizon when we traveled there and at least had some (very limited service). Steve at the time had TMobile and had no service at all. While visiting the Mount Rushmore and surrounding area I highly recommend this tour. My penny pinching husband said it was by far the best money he ever spent on a trip. https://mountrushmoretours.com/mount-rushmore-sightseeing-tours/mount-rushmore-sightseeing-tour-package/

Oh and I know you don't have it on your schedule, but the zoo in Omaha is truly amazing. Yes it is pricey, but so worth it. I know you mentioned you had a zoo in Atlanta. This zoo blows even the famous San Diego zoo away in my opinion and I have been to both. 

9 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Just a warning when you travel through SD cell service is very spotty. I had Verizon when we traveled there and at least had some (very limited service). Steve at the time had TMobile and had no service at all. While visiting the Mount Rushmore and surrounding area I highly recommend this tour. My penny pinching husband said it was by far the best money he ever spent on a trip. https://mountrushmoretours.com/mount-rushmore-sightseeing-tours/mount-rushmore-sightseeing-tour-package/

Oh and I know you don't have it on your schedule, but the zoo in Omaha is truly amazing. Yes it is pricey, but so worth it. I know you mentioned you had a zoo in Atlanta. This zoo blows even the famous San Diego zoo away in my opinion and I have been to both. 

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Did you try RV Trip Wizard?  https://www.rvtripwizard.com

You do have to pay for it, but it is a really good system. I've used it several times so far.

I've considered it however... because I've already "mapped out" our trip (just don't have it on a full map), I wasn't sure that I wanted to pay for the site.  I have read good things about it, however.  Thanks for the suggestion!!

For the planner why not just break the trip up so it will fit the number of slots? For example if the planner only supports 10 stops fill and create a new trip to handle the overflow.

Some words of warning about going into Canada. They have strict food importation requirements. One example is all meat and poultry must be in packaging that shows the country and potatoes have to be commercially packaged. There are also restrictions on pets, firearms and other items. Keep in mind you can't cross the border anymore on just a regular drivers license so you will need to be sure you and the family have proper documentation.

Here are some links:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-safety-for-industry/information-for-consumers/travellers/eng/1389630031549/1389630282362

And since you'll want to get back into the country:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens

5 hours ago, keith_h said:

For the planner why not just break the trip up so it will fit the number of slots? For example if the planner only supports 10 stops fill and create a new trip to handle the overflow.

Some words of warning about going into Canada. They have strict food importation requirements. One example is all meat and poultry must be in packaging that shows the country and potatoes have to be commercially packaged. There are also restrictions on pets, firearms and other items. Keep in mind you can't cross the border anymore on just a regular drivers license so you will need to be sure you and the family have proper documentation.

Here are some links:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-safety-for-industry/information-for-consumers/travellers/eng/1389630031549/1389630282362

And since you'll want to get back into the country:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens

Thanks.  Yes, we're in the process of getting passports and I have documentation of the dog's vaccinations.   On food, thankfully Banff is the last stop before my folks house... so we won't have a ton of food with us.  We'll be in Banff for 3 nights and then travel back over the border so we'll make sure to eat up any fresh fruits and veggies.   I think the biggest hurdle is dairy.. I don't think you can bring that dairy over the border.   I'm also getting conflicting information on meat so... we'll probably eat as much as we can before crossing either way.  LOL

8 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Wow Nicole, that is some trip you have planned.  Looks like a lot of fun and learning.

Good to know the info to get into Canada and back to USA.  That was interesting Keith.

Thanks.  Yes, I miss the easy days of crossing the border... of course, this if the first time with an RV.  It's a bit of a pain so, Banff better be amazing.  LOL😅

4 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thanks.  Yes, I miss the easy days of crossing the border... of course, this if the first time with an RV.  It's a bit of a pain so, Banff better be amazing.  LOL😅

My husband and my parents and I took a train ride many years ago across Canada.  One of the stops was Banff, beautiful.  Was much easier back then to cross the border.

I heard eggs are one thing you can not cross the border with and I also heard do not pull in the truck lanes at the border even if your tv and camper are big, but please check on both of these tips as I don't want to cause you any issues. Another thing will your husband be with you crossing in and out of Canada? Sometimes there are issues with single parents crossing borders with the children as a precaution.

23 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

I heard eggs are one thing you can not cross the border with and I also heard do not pull in the truck lanes at the border even if your tv and camper are big, but please check on both of these tips as I don't want to cause you any issues. Another thing will your husband be with you crossing in and out of Canada? Sometimes there are issues with single parents crossing borders with the children as a precaution.

No... Tom doesn't meet us until after Banff :(   I know we've made these trips before, but each time I miss him more.  Stinks. 

We are going to get a notarized letter with dates and his permission for the kids to cross the border with me.  Crazy world we live in :( 

We've done the border crossing dance numerous times over the past three years and you never know what the "rule of the day is"-LOL! The written rules are just a guideline that includes the word, "may". All depends upon the mood, friendliness, and political persuasion of the border agent on both sides of the border. As a general guideline, and it doesn't matter if it's a US or Canada crossing, we avoid having any fresh produce, meats or dairy in the refrigerator. Also, they don't always ask the " produce, meat, dairy" question but if they do answer honestly and be prepared to drive to their dumpster and throw away any "fresh" items. Or, in some instances they will ask to "take a look around" and do exactly that. Crossing is easy just as long as you don't try to second guess the food issue or go crazy trying to interpret the guideline in your favor. Have a "border crossing party" the night before you cross, eat what you can (save some for breakfast), and share what's left with your camping neighbors. Better to share than to throw it in the dumpster. Bon Appetit!