Jump to content
Katman1356...Jason

WDW Ticket price increased

Recommended Posts

I am literally in tears.  We were working to save for APs, I had even confirmed with Disney that they still honored buy now and start the date with the first park visit.... now it's up even more.   I can't believe that last year this time, it was what, $300 less per ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For folks that are looking to save a little on APs and don't mind doing the upgrade shuffle, Undercover Tourist has some tickets that will save you quite a bit over gate price, in some cases $80-$100+ per ticket. I'm not sure if these prices reflect the increase that just happened or if they're "leftovers" - in which case get 'em while they last!

https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/walt-disney-world-resort/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

For folks that are looking to save a little on APs and don't mind doing the upgrade shuffle, Undercover Tourist has some tickets that will save you quite a bit over gate price, in some cases $80-$100+ per ticket. I'm not sure if these prices reflect the increase that just happened or if they're "leftovers" - in which case get 'em while they last!

https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/walt-disney-world-resort/

Leftovers. 

A plus for booking a package though is if you cancel it before final payment you can get a full refund if you need it. With the ticket only purchase they are non-refundable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am torn on these ridiculous price increases. I hate paying more money each year, but also the parks are crowded AF. The recession years around 2008 spoiled me. I wish a lot of these people would pick something else to do with their money and stay away from Disney. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

For folks that are looking to save a little on APs and don't mind doing the upgrade shuffle, Undercover Tourist has some tickets that will save you quite a bit over gate price, in some cases $80-$100+ per ticket. I'm not sure if these prices reflect the increase that just happened or if they're "leftovers" - in which case get 'em while they last!

https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/walt-disney-world-resort/

Sent you a message

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Leftovers. 

A plus for booking a package though is if you cancel it before final payment you can get a full refund if you need it. With the ticket only purchase they are non-refundable. 

I figured and a very good point.

1 minute ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Sent you a message

Got it but I'll answer here just in case others have good info to weigh in with and so y'all can correct me if I get any of it wrong. 🙂

The ticket upgrade shuffle goes a little like this...
(Actually Carol outlined it pretty well in a post somewhere, but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment)

Essentially you purchase a discounted ticket from a legit broker (like UT) that has the highest discount over gate price but still costs less than an AP; use the ticket at least once; and then upgrade it to an AP before it expires.  When you upgrade you get full the ticket's gate price value which is where the savings comes in.  So for example -

You buy a "10-Day Disney Flexible Date Ticket with Park Hopper® Option" from UT for $632.65 which is $84 less than gate price.  When you upgrade it you are credited the full $673.77 towards the AP. I only skimmed quickly so I'm not sure that's the ticket with the best savings, and it doesn't really matter which type of ticket it is - i.e., a "water parks and more" add-on ticket could be the best value - the type of ticket is less important than the discount.

I've done this a few times, as have at least a few other folks here, and go to the TTC to do the upgrade as the CMs there seem to be the most knowledgeable when it comes to dealing with all kinds of ticket stuff.  One note: I haven't done this since the new ticket structure was put into place (where you pick your dates), so I'm not sure how/if that effects anything.

Oh and when you upgrade, your "start date" for the AP will be the first day you used the ticket, not the date you upgraded.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I am torn on these ridiculous price increases. I hate paying more money each year, but also the parks are crowded AF. The recession years around 2008 spoiled me. I wish a lot of these people would pick something else to do with their money and stay away from Disney. lol

I think that is the biggest complaint.

Prices do need to go up to cover operational costs, make a profit, etc, but each year it feels like you get less for your $$ and more and more crowds.

Yes, I know new rides and attractions that are coming cost major $$ to develop and maintain, but when you're crammed into the parks like sardines about 95% of the time, it's no longer a magical/pleasant experience.

Disney has done too good of a job marketing themselves, and did not keep up with the influx of crowds.

Instead of expanding the parks, creating new lands, or new parks somewhere else in the US or South America, they spent their $ on expanding DVC resorts.  Which just brought more bodies to the already overcrowded parks and transportation systems.

Oh wait, if they don't expand the transportation systems, then more people will use Minnie Vans.  A win win as TCD would say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I figured and a very good point.

Got it but I'll answer here just in case others have good info to weigh in with and so y'all can correct me if I get any of it wrong. 🙂

The ticket upgrade shuffle goes a little like this...
(Actually Carol outlined it pretty well in a post somewhere, but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment)

Essentially you purchase a discounted ticket from a legit broker (like UT) that has the highest discount over gate price but still costs less than an AP; use the ticket at least once; and then upgrade it to an AP before it expires.  When you upgrade you get full the ticket's gate price value which is where the savings comes in.  So for example -

You buy a "10-Day Disney Flexible Date Ticket with Park Hopper® Option" from UT for $632.65 which is $84 less than gate price.  When you upgrade it you are credited the full $673.77 towards the AP. I only skimmed quickly so I'm not sure that's the ticket with the best savings, and it doesn't really matter which type of ticket it is - i.e., a "water parks and more" add-on ticket could be the best value - the type of ticket is less important than the discount.

I've done this a few times, as have at least a few other folks here, and go to the TTC to do the upgrade as the CMs there seem to be the most knowledgeable when it comes to dealing with all kinds of ticket stuff.  One note: I haven't done this since the new ticket structure was put into place (where you pick your dates), so I'm not sure how/if that effects anything.

Oh and when you upgrade, your "start date" for the AP will be the first day you used the ticket, not the date you upgraded.

 

Thank you. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what makes me nervous about the ticket shuffle... is what if you buy tickets from UT, then Disney decides to not honor the upgrade because they know the tickets are discounted (or for whatever reason).  In our case, I would purchase the 10 day ticket, with the plan to upgrade to an AP.  If the policy changes we would be messed over.... :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I think what makes me nervous about the ticket shuffle... is what if you buy tickets from UT, then Disney decides to not honor the upgrade because they know the tickets are discounted (or for whatever reason).  In our case, I would purchase the 10 day ticket, with the plan to upgrade to an AP.  If the policy changes we would be messed over.... :( 

UT is an authorized reseller so Disney knows they're offering discounted tickets and has been "bridging" the value of these tickets for years now without any problems.  That said if someone here has done this recently it would be great to confirm that nothing has changed.

Of course always possible that they do change the policy at some point, in which case you're still not losing any money, you're just not getting credit for the discount and instead paying full price for the AP. 

Personally I wouldn't do this if the discount is what makes or breaks my ability to buy APs because if the policy changes, I've now got to come up with extra money at the ticket window. But if I'm planning to buy them anyway, it's worth it for me on the (pretty high) likelihood that I'm getting the discount. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

UT is an authorized reseller so Disney knows they're offering discounted tickets and has been "bridging" the value of these tickets for years now without any problems.  That said if someone here has done this recently it would be great to confirm that nothing has changed.

Of course always possible that they do change the policy at some point, in which case you're still not losing any money, you're just not getting credit for the discount and instead paying full price for the AP. 

Personally I wouldn't do this if the discount is what makes or breaks my ability to buy APs because if the policy changes, I've now got to come up with extra money at the ticket window. But if I'm planning to buy them anyway, it's worth it for me on the (pretty high) likelihood that I'm getting the discount. 

Thanks.  I looked at a smaller ticket (6 days) and there was a still a good savings from buying directly through Disney.  We may do that, as I know we can use the 6 days for our fall visit to Orlando.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I am torn on these ridiculous price increases. I hate paying more money each year, but also the parks are crowded AF. The recession years around 2008 spoiled me. I wish a lot of these people would pick something else to do with their money and stay away from Disney. lol

Agreed and the earlier 2000's were even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

Agreed and the earlier 2000's were even better.

The 70’s were even better then the 2000’s.

We were on the original sky ride in 1977 above the pathway by Small World, and could count the # of people walking on 2 hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Agreed and the earlier 2000's were even better.

Ahhh... I remember those times well. Back when there were still regularly 1-2am EMH at MK and if you stuck around past midnight you could pretty much walk on anything you wanted to.

Good times...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Ahhh... I remember those times well. Back when there were still regularly 1-2am EMH at MK and if you stuck around past midnight you could pretty much walk on anything you wanted to.

Good times...

I remember those days. I am truly thankful that my kids were just the right age for us to enjoy the heck out of the Fort and the parks before all of the gouging and cuts. We will always have those memories. 

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheRollingRutherfords said:

I've really been struggling with this ticket price increase.  We love the Fort and Disney, but for a family of 4 to come its getting out of hand.  I do know we go at the most expensive time during the holidays, but every year it gets worse and worse.  I've been sad about it the last few days :(

You/me both.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You know what’s really galling about this?  Just today I get an email offer for a Florida Resident 4 day pass with no blockout dates for $49 a day. So they stick it to their regular customers, and then fill up the parks with these cheap tickets. 

TCD

And they wonder why it's so packed??   Dang.    Maybe you could adopt my kids for those four days? 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You know what’s really galling about this?  Just today I get an email offer for a Florida Resident 4 day pass with no blockout dates for $49 a day. So they stick it to their regular customers, and then fill up the parks with these cheap tickets. 

TCD

I wish they had some sort of ticket for a FL Passholder to buy an out of state visitor  inexpensive tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You know what’s really galling about this?  Just today I get an email offer for a Florida Resident 4 day pass with no blockout dates for $49 a day. So they stick it to their regular customers, and then fill up the parks with these cheap tickets. 

TCD

I read an article just today about how Jan-early Feb haven't been slow like they've typically been in the past. I don't know if that's true of September any more, which seemed to be the only other "slow" time left.

But Disney has been kicking out FL resident ticket deals for a little while now and not surprisingly, the few "slow" times left now seem to be, at least in part, filled by locals taking advantage of these types of offers. And who can blame them? I would if I could.

As you say TCD, Disney always wins.

I'm just grateful we were fortunate enough to enjoy some really great "whole park to ourselves" times while they lasted (ok not really, but kinda compared to now) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more thing about how crappy it is for Disney to pack the parks with cheap tickets-

Going all the way back to December, castmembers have been blocked out of Hollywood Studios, and remain blocked out until April. So, they only way for any of them to enter the park is to buy a ticket or use a comp ticket they may have earned. 

So, castmembers are completely blocked out of the park, and Disney turns around and sells that extra space with these cheap Florida Resident passes. Greedy bastards. 

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I think this sums up eveyones feelings about the price increase!

Disney Ticket Price Increases Fans React

You either accept the increase and keep going, stop going completely and visit the rest of the country, or save $$ and just go once every few years.

Prices aren't going to drop, they aren't going to do major expansions to alleviate the crowds, and they won't notice a drop in profits because there are always people out there that have unlimited $$ to spend at the parks (that's Disney's perfect customers).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Travisma said:

You either accept the increase and keep going, stop going completely and visit the rest of the country, or save $$ and just go once every few years.

Prices aren't going to drop, they aren't going to do major expansions to alleviate the crowds, and they won't notice a drop in profits ...

 

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...