• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Obviously you feel strongly about this situation as an anti-mask and getting life back to normal side. And others feel just as strongly supporting the wearing of a mask and erring on the side of

Holy crap. This is just as bad as the comments on the Disney Parks Blog. What a sad state of affairs. So many people brainwashed by those currently in charge to disregard science and even co

I'm not arguing government mandates in people's individual communities here - that's not what we were even talking about.  The mask requirement at Costco or Disney or any other private company is not

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, DinDavie said:

I was wondering if the more permanent residents of the Fort have been asked to leave?  How are they fairing? Can they leave their 5th wheels parked

and return to their usual  spot when the crisis has passed? 

they have to remove everything off property. Cant even use the parking lot from what I understand 

11 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

they have to remove everything off property. Cant even use the parking lot from what I understand 

Makes sense.  Without knowing how long this is going to go on for, I'm sure Disney doesn't want the liability of having people's RVs unattended on property.

It sounds like when the state issued the "no groups larger than 50" order, that's when Disney put a hard and fast March 20th close on the resorts.

There are already reports that some of the non-Disney restaurants may close for good over this - specifically all the Landry run restaurants.  They've supposedly already let all their staff go worldwide with no pay whatsoever. Currently at Disney they run Rainforest, T-Rex and Yak and Yeti.

https://wdwnt.com/2020/03/landrys-restaurants-reportedly-laying-off-all-employees-rainforest-cafe-in-disney-springs-now-closed-due-to-coronavirus-covid-19/

12 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

One actually owns property and an RV lot in Polk County and I think that is where they go during the hurricane evacs.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

There are already reports that some of the non-Disney restaurants may close for good over this - specifically all the Landry run restaurants.  They've supposedly already let all their staff go worldwide with no pay whatsoever. Currently at Disney they run Rainforest, T-Rex and Yak and Yeti.

Wow. 

If all the Landry restaurants close, that’s going to be a lot of lost rent for Disney. 

In less than a week, enough damage has been done that it isn’t hard to imagine that it will take years for Disney and other businesses to recover.

With no end in sight for the closures, we can only expect more smaller businesses to fold. If too many fold, what happens to Disney Springs as a viable shopping center?

We are truly living through a history changing event. 

TCD

33 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow. 

If all the Landry restaurants close, that’s going to be a lot of lost rent for Disney. 

In less than a week, enough damage has been done that it isn’t hard to imagine that it will take years for Disney and other businesses to recover.

With no end in sight for the closures, we can only expect more smaller businesses to fold. If too many fold, what happens to Disney Springs as a viable shopping center?

TCD

Hopefully enough people realize that what is being done is a necessity to protect the majority of the population.

4 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

One actually owns property and an RV lot in Polk County and I think that is where they go during the hurricane evacs.

Smart!

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

We are indeed. It's all very surreal and it's hard to imagine things were so very different just a couple of weeks ago. I expect a ton of smaller businesses will not make it through this.  The service industry alone is likely to be pretty devastated.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Hopefully enough people realize that what is being done is a necessity to protect the majority of the population.

I would hope so too, but then I see reports and photos of Spring Breakers on the FL beaches...

I don't want to know what happens when they all return to their various home states.  There was a story in The Globe this week of 6 doctors that went to Miami for a guy's weekend to celebrate a birthday. All six returned home sick, at least 4 have confirmed it's COVID19. Who knows how many people they've spread it to?

For crying out loud, your trips and parties and outings can wait.  Just stay the [bleep] home!!!

And in the perfect example of people who can't afford to take time off coming to work sick... one of DH's co-workers was sent home the other day because she was coughing up a storm.  Her roommate, who also works there, is sick as well but at least had the sense to stay home. I'm thankful he works mostly outside and is in close contact with hardly anyone during the day, but he's still been taking a shower and throwing all his clothes in the wash the minute he gets home.

In related news, the company that I've done all my freelance work for over the past 4 years put the breaks on all work as of yesterday until... ?? They at least waited to tell me until 5pm so I got a full day in and seemed to feel really badly about it in general, but especially about the short notice.  Can't say I was surprised though. They've seen a 50% decrease in sales in just 2 weeks and are scaling back as much as they can just to keep afloat until they can regroup and/or we're past this and business starts to pick back up.  They have a large workforce in Manila and things there have gotten significantly worse in the last week to where they've essentially shut down all travel in/out of the city. 

Upside to freelancing - working from home in my pajamas.  Downside - when the work dries up you're on your own.  No unemployment typically, although the state of NH has put some emergency measures in place to help at least some self-employed people for the short term.  I applied today (took hours as the site kept crashing), and we'll see if they approve me for anything. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they do. But hey - what better time to update my resume and portfolio? And start spring cleaning? And get the garden ready?

Trying not to feel completely miserable and hopeless about all this - trying to keep tabs on assorted elderly relatives not terribly close by (some of whom are not so cooperative), isn't helping.  But in the "hey, try and find anything to be positive about" department - we adopted a new dog last weekend so... plenty of time for house training!

Walt Disney Company Hits Hard Times, Warns That Coronavirus Makes Predicting Future Performance Tough
March 19, 2020

With reports arising about deep financial losses and even a potential extension of current park closures, things are looking more and more volatile for The Walt Disney Company, and a new statement released by the company to the Securities and Exchange Commission today confirms that the company has in fact hit hard times due to the sudden hit of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

According to CNBC, Disney is warning investors that the Coronavirus pandemic has affected so many of its business segments that it’s becoming more challenging for the company to estimate its future performance:

“We have closed our theme parks; suspended our cruises and theatrical shows; delayed theatrical distribution of films both domestically and internationally; and experienced supply chain disruption and ad sales impacts,” the company said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission Thursday.

“In addition there has been a disruption in creation and availability of content we rely on for our various distribution paths, including most significantly the cancellation of certain sports events and the shutting down of production of most film and television content,” the company said.

Yesterday, it was reported that with Disneyland closed, the financial impact could mean a $400 million loss for Southern California area hotels, restaurants, and the overall tourist economy in the area––and that’s just based off of the estimated 18-day Disneyland closure period alone. In terms of projected recovery time for the company, The Walt Disney Company said this in the SEC note:

“We expect the ultimate significance of the impact of these disruptions, including the extent of their adverse impact on our financial and operational results, will be dictated by the length of time that such disruptions continue which will, in turn, depend on the currently unknowable duration of the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact of governmental regulations that might be imposed in response to the pandemic. Our businesses could also be impacted should the disruptions from COVID-19 lead to changes in consumer behavior. The COVID-19 impact on the capital markets could impact our cost of borrowing. There are certain limitations on our ability to mitigate the adverse financial impact of these items, including the fixed costs of our theme park business. COVID-19 also makes it more challenging for management to estimate future performance of our businesses, particularly over the near to medium term.”

As a reminder, the latest CDC guidelines recommend against public gatherings of over 50 people for the next 8 weeks, which could very well extend the closure past April, despite it only applying to certain businesses.

https://wdwnt.com/2020/03/walt-disney-company-hits-hard-times-warns-that-coronavirus-makes-predicting-future-performance-tough/?fbclid=IwAR1GztZ9LRojazGyg65vNvgzrttrIK8U1EaxV8SScceq5XEt4jRo_TuGG8c

I think this stuff has been around for months. We know it was active in November in China. Not to sound like a drama queen, but when we returned home from our trip (Tampa RV show and MK) over MLK weekend I got terribly sick. My flu test was negative, but I had terrible aches and pain (it hurt my skin to wear a soft tshirt), fever, shortness of breath, coughing up small amounts of blood, and I felt totally drained for at least 10 days after my fever subsided. For 3 days I stayed under a blanket in bed or in my recliner. It totally sucked. I would not be surprised if I didn't pick it up. The only thing that makes me doubt it is nobody else in the house got sick, but I did keep to myself quite a bit. All I know is it felt way worse than the flu and my test was negative.

26 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I think this stuff has been around for months. We know it was active in November in China. Not to sound like a drama queen, but when we returned home from our trip (Tampa RV show and MK) over MLK weekend I got terribly sick. My flu test was negative, but I had terrible aches and pain (it hurt my skin to wear a soft tshirt), fever, shortness of breath, coughing up small amounts of blood, and I felt totally drained for at least 10 days after my fever subsided. For 3 days I stayed under a blanket in bed or in my recliner. It totally sucked. I would not be surprised if I didn't pick it up. The only thing that makes me doubt it is nobody else in the house got sick, but I did keep to myself quite a bit. All I know is it felt way worse than the flu and my test was negative.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we find out down the line that it's been around (and spreading) a lot longer than we were led to believe.

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we find out down the line that it's been around (and spreading) a lot longer than we were led to believe.

I have a friend whose husband has been in the hospital at Vanderbilt for over a month. He was first sent to the local hospital here. Then they rushed him to the main hospital.   Shortly after arriving there they had to send him to Vanderbilt. He had been diagnosed with pneumonia, bronchitis and the flu. Someone asked her if he was ever tested for the Covid19. She said no because at the time he got sick it was not believed to be in the States. Today she posted on his Caringbridge site that she can no longer be with him in the hospital. His nave is Dave if you wish to add him to your thoughts and prayers. 

Odds and ends

Man arrested for allegedly stealing 66 rolls of toilet paper from Orlando hotel, police say

ORLANDO, Fla. - Orange County deputies have arrested a man for allegedly stealing 66 rolls of toilet paper from an Orlando hotel.

Investigators said that it happened at the Marriott Hotel on World Center Drive.

They said that a security guard saw 31-year-old Angel Hernandezcinto pushing a trash can to his van and put a bag inside. The guard peeked through the window and saw the bag was full of unused toilet paper rolls that belonged to the hotel. When Hernandezcinto came back out, deputies said he admitted to taking the 66 rolls of toilet paper, which were valued at $0.99.

Hernandezcinto reportedly told the guard that he knew a lady who was poor and had no job and he was taking the toilet paper to help her and her family. The arrest report showed that Hernandezcinto then apologized.

The report also stated that he is a cleaner at the hotel and had access to toilet paper because he cleans. 

Hernandezcinto reportedly did not wish to notify the Guatemalan consulate.

Deputies said that he has charged with theft from public lodging establishment.

And this is how you start a panic with sensational partially true headlines

CA MAN DIES AT 34 Recently Visited Disney World In FL

A 34-year-old man has died in California after testing positive of coronavirus just days ago, and 2 weeks after visiting Walt Disney World and Universal Studios in Florida.  Hmm slightly different than the attention grabbing headline

Jeffrey Ghazarian died Thursday morning at a Pasadena hospital after spending 5 days hooked up to a ventilator and battling for his life ... according to his family.

His sister says ... "He suffered a lot and put up a good fight. We will miss our Jeff everyday but we are thankful for all the fun happy memories of the times we had together."

Jeff's timeline regarding his COVID-19 infection is terrifying and should be eye-opening for people of all ages. According to his family, he flew from L.A. to Orlando on March 2 for a work conference, but stayed a few extra days to visit Disney World and Universal theme parks with friends.

We're told on March 7 he developed a cough, and the next day he coughed up blood. He flew back to LAX on March 9 ...not good how many others did infect? and immediately went to the ER, where he also had a high fever.

The family says a chest x-ray confirmed Jeff had pneumonia, and he was tested for COVID-19 and sent home with fluids and antibiotics and instructed to self-quarantine until he got the results back.

We're told the results came back positive on March 13, and Jeff was provided a portable oxygen meter to keep an eye on his levels ... which took a turn for the worse that afternoon.

On March 14 he was taken by ambulance to the hospital and quickly transferred to the ICU when it was discovered his lungs were 60-70 percent blocked with pneumonia. Doctors decided the best path forward was to sedate and intubate, hoping a ventilator would help his lungs heal.

Sadly -- and despite the family claiming he was approved for antiviral meds -- the medication was delayed in getting to him, he took a turn for the worse ... and passed away Thursday morning.

It appears Jeffrey was higher-risk patient. He had a history of asthma and frequent bronchitis as a child, though he outgrew that. He also had undergone surgery for testicular cancer back in 2016.

The CDC now says young people can also be at grave risk ... and this underscores the danger.

He was 34

And now for some good news...

Orlando's Magic Kingdom shares how to draw Mickey Mouse through the years

If you and the young ones are feeling a little cooped up right now, here's one way to make home isolation a little more animated.

The creative team at Orlando's Magic Kingdom just released a complete compilation of how-to-draw tutorials featuring Mickey Mouse over the years, from vintage 1920's "Steamboat Willie"-era Mickey to the modern, "pied-eyed" versions.

Drawings by Disney cast member Stephen Ketchum - SCREENSHOT VIA DISNEY PARKS/YOUTUBE
  • Screenshot via Disney Parks/YouTube
  • Drawings by Disney cast member Stephen Ketchum

The videos are taught by longtime Disney cast member Stephen Ketchum, who usually draws Mickey at Disney parks, teaching tourists in person.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic that has already killed nearly 10,000 people worldwide, all of Disney's local water and theme parks closed down on March 16 (just ahead of most of Orlando venues and bars) and many cast members and creatives are now out of work. The new videos were recorded during happier times, as evidenced by Ketchum hugging both Mickey and Minnie without a mask, gloves or protective attire.

"While the parks remain temporarily closed, we’ve combined Stephen’s best Mickey tutorials," says a release on the Disney blog.

Disney fans can share their own drawings of all three Mickeys, and possibly be featured on Disney's Parks Blog. Just use #Disney and #BetterTogether on Instagram, and tag them at @DisneyParksBlog.

You can also learn how to draw Sally from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story" and a dozen more.

Strangely, the video series appears to be free of charge, with no paywall or other discernible way to transmit money to Disney at all. We hope everyone there is doing OK.

MUSIC WORLD

Did anyone go to Facebook Live last night and see a free streaming mini concert by Brad Paisley?  Had a few glitches, but overall was really good.  Lasted about an hour, had his wife on it with him and was joined thru the magic of the interweb by Carrie Underwood, Tim Mcgraw and Chris Smith?

Too Funny

FB posts

I don't have anywhere to go, but I'm thinking about driving up and down I-4 to see what it's like to go over 30 MPH!

Many parents are just about to discover the teacher was not the problem!

Been homeschooling a 6 and 8 year old for 1 hour and 11 minutes.  Teachers deserve to make a billion dollars a year... or a week.

That moment when you're worried about the elderly and realize that you are the elderly.

Maybe now society will realize we can make it without celebrities and professional athletes, but we can't make it without farmers and ranchers.  Or retail clerks and blue collared tradespeople!

14 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I have a friend whose husband has been in the hospital at Vanderbilt for over a month. He was first sent to the local hospital here. Then they rushed him to the main hospital.   Shortly after arriving there they had to send him to Vanderbilt. He had been diagnosed with pneumonia, bronchitis and the flu. Someone asked her if he was ever tested for the Covid19. She said no because at the time he got sick it was not believed to be in the States. Today she posted on his Caringbridge site that she can no longer be with him in the hospital. His nave is Dave if you wish to add him to your thoughts and prayers. 

Oh that's terrible - I'm so sorry to hear that Yvonne.  I will keep him in my thoughts.

My parents are still not quite getting the severity of this - although I thankfully got them to (finally) stop being annoyed that we're not going for dinner this weekend. I had the closest thing I've ever had to an anxiety attack over it yesterday and when it was finally resolved I think I let out the biggest sigh of my entire life. 

I don't want to panic them, but they're still operating under the misconception that they're "we don't go anywhere, we're fine" (which btw isn't even true - they went grocery shopping last weekend) as long as they wash their hands a little more, and if they get it, it'll just be "the flu".  No. No it won't. Especially not for people in their age bracket and with their particular lung conditions.  And now with many hospitals no longer allowing visitors, if they end up there they'll be on their own to boot.  And it doesn't help when they're doing the equivalent of "smile and nod" and "yeah yeah we get it" to us kids.  After being told by my mother that my 79 year old father with severe asthma was no longer going to McDonald's every day, I then find out that oh he's still going!  He's just using the drive-thru now.  But don't worry, he washes his hands AFTER he eats.   

*thud*

And then after my 80 year old aunt tells me of their wonderful neighbors (including a nurse) who have all offered to get them anything they need, she tells me that she and my 87 year old uncle are going to the super market the next day. Oh and she only taught piano lessons to 5 students that day - in their homes.

*bangs head against wall*

I am not an alarmist by nature, but I'm having a really hard time treading the line with my older relatives of "don't you understand what you're risking here?!" and "you're grown-ups, you make your own decisions."  Normally I default to the latter, but in the case of people who aren't comprehending the consequences, and how horrible this will be for them if they get it, it's really really hard.

2 Disney Springs businesses layoff all employees due to coronavirus outbreak

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. —

Two Disney Springs businesses have decided to layoff all employees as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

A statement from a spokesperson for Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' Kitchen and Splitsville Luxury Lanes said the move to layoff the employees was “the most difficult decision we ever faced.”

“In this unprecedented time and after much deliberation, we were faced with the fact that the COVID-19 pandemic will likely continue for several months. It was clear that we had to set a course that would allow Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' Kitchen and Splitsville Luxury Lanes to be resilient so that at the end of this uncertain road we would have a business for our employees to return to,” a company statement said.

The businesses said the layoffs will allow hourly employees to take advantage of unemployment benefits and any other government assistance that will become available because of the coronavirus crisis.

In addition to their final checks, the company said it will continue to pay health insurance for employees who have elected to participate through April 30, 2020. Also, we are working on a plan to provide daily staff meals.

This on top of Landry's letting go all of their employees.

The service industry is sadly going to be devastated by this.

Restaurants here are doing their best to stay open with takeout/delivery sales, but realistically that's a tiny fraction of their normal business.

My only hope is that when all this is over (hopefully with as minimal human damage as possible) everyone will be more than ready to "bounce back" - get out of their homes, gather together, and at least some of these places are able to hire back staff and get back on their feet.

22 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

The service industry is sadly going to be devastated by this.

Restaurants here are doing their best to stay open with takeout/delivery sales, but realistically that's a tiny fraction of their normal business.

My only hope is that when all this is over (hopefully with as minimal human damage as possible) everyone will be more than ready to "bounce back" - get out of their homes, gather together, and at least some of these places are able to hire back staff and get back on their feet.

I've seen some articles that suggest not to even do to go orders because you don't know if the workers are healthy (since you can be a carrier for so long w/o symptoms).

It's going to get worse for day to day life before it gets better.

And if government officials on all levels don't get their heads out of their butts and put party politics aside it's going to get real ugly.

I hate to see small business's being decimated by mandatory closures, but it seems like that's the only way the world is going to get a jump on this.

And why are they proposing giving tax breaks to major corporations, it's the little guys that need the help big time.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I've seen some articles that suggest not to even do to go orders because you don't know if the workers are healthy (since you can be a carrier for so long w/o symptoms).

For sure it takes some faith to trust where you're getting your food from.  Most of the good, long-standing places around here are making a point of addressing it up front.  Of course that could be all b.s., but they'd only be shooting themselves in the foot if it is.  Personally I'd only order food from places I know, frequent, and generally trust to be careful.

It's going to get worse for day to day life before it gets better.

Yep

And if government officials on all levels don't get their heads out of their butts and put party politics aside it's going to get real ugly.

Oof - ain't that the truth.  We're fortunately that our state is pretty on the ball, and a few others around here are as well.  But if you're in a state that isn't... And the feds really have to get hopping on relief packages for those people will be worst effected. Again some states are doing things (NY is enabling people to defer mortgage/rent payments without penalty), but it needs to be a consistent, widespread effort.

I hate to see small business's being decimated by mandatory closures, but it seems like that's the only way the world is going to get a jump on this.

Agreed. Even back during the 1918 pandemic, the communities that didn't shut things down quickly were the worst effected.

And why are they proposing giving tax breaks to major corporations, it's the little guys that need the help big time.

AGREED X100!

___

23 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I would hope so too, but then I see reports and photos of Spring Breakers on the FL beaches...

One of my nephews allowed a friend to spend a couple of months living at his house to get back on her feet after a breakup. She along with a bunch of friends went to Mexico for spring break. He told them due to his work, elderly family members, etc she would have to quarantine somewhere else for 2 weeks and was accused of being an old fuddy duddy. He stood his ground and she is in quarantine somewhere but he still doesn't understand their casual, don't care attitude about this whole mess. 

30 minutes ago, keith_h said:

One of my nephews allowed a friend to spend a couple of months living at his house to get back on her feet after a breakup. She along with a bunch of friends went to Mexico for spring break. He told them due to his work, elderly family members, etc she would have to quarantine somewhere else for 2 weeks and was accused of being an old fuddy duddy. He stood his ground and she is in quarantine somewhere but he still doesn't understand their casual, don't care attitude about this whole mess. 

If she really wants to see old fuddy duddy I would be telling her to find a  NEW place to permanently quarantine!!!! See Ya

Jeff's timeline regarding his COVID-19 infection is terrifying and should be eye-opening for people of all ages. According to his family, he flew from L.A. to Orlando on March 2 for a work conference, but stayed a few extra days to visit Disney World and Universal theme parks with friends.

We're told on March 7 he developed a cough, and the next day he coughed up blood. He flew back to LAX on March 9 ...not good how many others did infect? and immediately went to the ER, where he also had a high fever.

Since you carry the virus 5 to 14 days before symptoms show up, he was probably ill when he got on the plane, or caught it on the plane to Orlando in the first place. 

This is a disaster of such a magnitude as I never expected to see.  Even staying home now for a month, it's not going to stop infections, and IF everyone tries to return to business as normal in May, then it will fire up again, and we will just have kicked the curve down the line.  The virus is here to stay, and all we can do is try to slow it down so the hospitals can keep up and hope that someone can create a vaccine, fast.  It still does not kill the majority of people.  It's more contagious than we thought, but 75% of the population will probably not need hospitalization.  It's just that we don't have enough hospitals for the 25% that will need it. 

54 minutes ago, keith_h said:

*blurg*  Really glad your nephew stood his ground.

1 minute ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

It's more contagious than we thought, but 75% of the population will probably not need hospitalization.  It's just that we don't have enough hospitals for the 25% that will need it. 

Exactly. 25% of the current population is over 8 million people, all sick at the same time...