Cheerio did you know? DCL is an English Compay

Learn something new everyday... and since the Bahamas is part of the Commonwealth is why they fly the Bahamian Flag.

From Wikipedia:

Disney Cruise Line is a cruise line operation that is a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. The company was incorporated in 1996 as Magical Cruise Company Limited[1] and is domiciled in London, England, with their operational headquarters located in Celebration, Florida.

15 minutes ago, lightbikes said:

I wonder if that is because England has some kind of strange maritime law that allows seafarers not to pay taxes on their income?   I remember being told about it on a Royal Carribean cruise once by a crew member.

Probably one of many.  Also their general Maritime laws are probably more lienent.  The US still has the (stupid in my opinon) 1800's Jones Act in place. It was one reason why they were having trouble getting supplies from the States to Puerto Rico after hurricane since 99% of the cargo ships are foreign Flagged.  Supposedly they can't go from a US port directly to another US port with a load of cargo.

yes the jones act of 1920 says goods ship between us ports must be on us flagged ships,  That are owned by US citizens, and operated by at least 75% US citizens and legal aliens.

But yes they need to make an exception for emergency like the devastation in Puerto Rico  

I was once told that Some the reasons cruiseLines get FOC (flag of conveniences), outside of the US is

1.  legal, try suing a Cruise line. 

2.  Very low wages

3. ability to work crew longer hours 

6 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

2.  Very low wages

3. ability to work crew longer hours 

Just like the Navy....   😂      An E-3 only makes $2,100 a month before taxes,  many Room Stewards make that or more.

A Seaman is a junior enlisted in the United States Navy at DoD paygrade E-3. A Seaman receives a monthly basic pay salary starting at $2,043 per month, with raises up to $2,303 per month once they have served for over 3 years.

Salary range: $2200-2800 U.S. per month depending on gratuities 

The Jones act exists for one reason, to support the US maritime industry, or what is left of it.

Current ships flying a flag of another country can not just decide to become US flagged.  To fly the US flag the ship must be built in the US under the supervision of the US Coast Guard.

The cruise industry could decide tomorrow that they wanted all their ships flagged here, but we do not have the shipbuilding capacity anymore to supply them the ships.

There is currently one (1) US flagged cruise ship.

17 minutes ago, tim5055 said:

The Jones act exists for one reason, to support the US maritime industry, or what is left of it.

Current ships flying a flag of another country can not just decide to become US flagged.  To fly the US flag the ship must be built in the US under the supervision of the US Coast Guard.

The cruise industry could decide tomorrow that they wanted all their ships flagged here, but we do not have the shipbuilding capacity anymore to supply them the ships.

There is currently one (1) US flagged cruise ship.

As I said, in my opinion it's stupid to keep it in place.  The tourist industry at the major ports up and down both coasts would boom if they would amend or revoke it,