Dream & Fantasy rotate Castaway Cay

33 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

The DREAM & FANTASY have both made a trip from Canaveral to Castaway Cay.  Probably to let the crew get off the ship and relax on the beach. Maybe they're doing some work while there too.

I believe the Magic has as well according to our friend on the Fantasy they are bringing supplies as well as getting some relax time on shore.  

2 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I believe the Magic has as well according to our friend on the Fantasy they are bringing supplies as well as getting some relax time on shore.  

True. Twin #1 FaceTimed a friend on the Dream last night. Each crew member has his or her own cabin, many are in regular guest cabins. There are a bunch of crew members whose contracts have expired, and they have been allowed to remain on board as guests with no work duties (and no pay). The crew’s meals are being served in Cabana’s, and a bar is open every night. They are still playing movies on the Funnel Vision and in the theaters. 

DCL crew are doing better than the land based castmembers.

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

True. Twin #1 FaceTimed a friend on the Dream last night. Each crew member has his or her own cabin, many are in regular guest cabins. There are a bunch of crew members whose contracts have expired, and they have been allowed to remain on board as guests with no work duties (and no pay). The crew’s meals are being served in Cabana’s, and a bar is open every night. They are still playing movies on the Funnel Vision and in the theaters. 

DCL crew are doing better than the land based castmembers.

TCD

Now THAT is how you quarantine in style!!

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

True. And not subject to a lot of US laws that protect employees. 
TCD

Which is because the Ship has to be built in the US to be Flagged in the US and we no longer have the capabilities so they are built overseas. That was addressed earlier in another thread.  

36 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

From what I understand, they are paid peanuts during their contract and a lot of their pay depends on tips. It's great that they get a place to stay and food to eat.

Also as I posted in the other thread, most Cabin Stewards make as much or more with tips than an E-3 (Seaman) in the US NAVY, many who do jobs with a lot more responsibility.  

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Which is because the Ship has to be built in the US to be Flagged in the US and we no longer have the capabilities so they are built overseas. That was addressed earlier in another thread. 

It is among the many abilities we have lost as a country.  Until a pandemic like this virus comes along and we discover that it's probably not a good thing that we outsource everything to other countries.

But, we can't blame it all on outsourcing....  The last oil refinery we built in the US was many years ago.  Why?  The Not In My Backyard (NIMBY) folks and environmental laws.  Well, shipyards are in the same category.  For a vessel to fly the US flag it must be built in the US under the supervision of the US Coast Guard.  Then, once constructed and put into service it must be staffed by US licensed mariners and adhere to US labor laws. As TCD points out, it's the labor laws that are usually the sticking point.  

3 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Also as I posted in the other thread, most Cabin Stewards make as much or more with tips than an E-3 (Seaman) in the US NAVY, many who do jobs with a lot more responsibility.  

You can’t just compare pay- do the cabin stewards get paid leave, government health insurance, retirement and the other perks that a US military member receives?  Not even close. 

TCD

11 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You can’t just compare pay- do the cabin stewards get paid leave, government health insurance, retirement and the other perks that a US military member receives?  Not even close.

TCD

NAVY 4 year commitment....  Cruise Line 6 to 9 months....

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. Military service is voluntary, and those who serve are well compensated, as they should be. 
TCD

And so is working on a Cruise ship, as is every other job...Which in the case of DCL are under England's control, and their pay scales/labor laws are not comparable to what happens in the US.  If things were so bad, why do many of the crew return contract after contract after contract.  We've seen the same crew members on the ships with some of those on a different ship than when we originally met, including many Americans.    

The point is nobody should complain about or critique what someone else is being paid or why, as long as the person in question is happy.  

3 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

And so is working on a Cruise ship, as is every other job...Which in the case of DCL are under England's control, and their pay scales/labor laws are not comparable to what happens in the US.  If things were so bad, why do many of the crew return contract after contract after contract.  We've seen the same crew members on the ships with some of those on a different ship than when we originally met, including many Americans.    

The point is nobody should complain about or critique what someone else is being paid or why, as long as the person in question is happy.  

Gotcha. I agree. Sadly, for most of the DCL crew, there is no place they could work in their home countries where they would earn what they do working aboard the ships. 

TCD