Disney Springs Begins Phased Reopening on May 20

Straight from the Mouse to Travel Agents this afternoon. 

A phased reopening of Disney Springs will begin on May 20. Following the guidance of government and health officials, a limited number of shopping and dining experiences that are owned by third-party operating participants will begin to open during this initial phase. The rest of Walt Disney World® Resort will remain closed, including theme parks and resort hotels.

As we continue to monitor conditions, and with the health of Guests and Disney Cast Members at the forefront of our planning, we are making several operational changes. Disney Springs will begin to reopen in a way that incorporates enhanced safety measures, including increased cleaning procedures, the use of appropriate face coverings by both Cast Members and Guests, limited-contact Guest services and additional safety training for Cast Members.

We will apply learnings and ideas from leaders in the health and travel industries, and we’re also talking to our unions as we prepare for some Cast Members to return to work.

During the initial opening phase, Disney Springs will have limitations on capacity, parking and operating hours. Given this unprecedented situation, we appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding as we navigate through this process as responsibly as we can. Additional protocols and procedures may be announced closer to the opening date. Please check DisneySprings.com as we get closer to May 20 for the most current information on operating hours, locations and safety procedures.

I guess it's a start. The more I read about the numbers now being published, the more it seems like 1) unfortunately for some its mainly hitting older people or those with some extraneous issues, and 2) people will need to get it to help things along towards immunity.  I've been to Walmart so....I just might go to DS?

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents  

I think masks work to help spread covid19. 

I don’t think they are necessary as some people make it out to be.  

I don’t think a mask is going to keep me from catching covid19. but if I’m asymptomatic a mask keeps me from giving it to an elderly person or someone with a compromised immune system I’ll wear it.   

Will I go to DS or WDW and wear a mask?

No I won’t.  Not because I think it stupid or unnecessary or to hot or ...to wear a mask  

because I don’t think it will be much fun when they first open.   If they follow Shanghai disney opening there will no shows, and we really enjoy the shows  

I don’t want to wear a mask all day,  to uncomfortable. 

Your going to have people who will be kicking and scream because the new rules and trying everything to skirt the rules.

i can hear it now.

guest:  I have a medical condition that doesn’t allow me to wear a mask  and according to the ADA you can’t ask me what my condition is  

CM:  ok, here is your modified DAS card  

And you’ll have others who will be whining and complaining to CMs about guests not following the rules. 

Guest:  What are you going to do about that guy not wearing a mask?  Kick him out of the park!

I’ll wait and see what happens after they’ve been open a while.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well it was our 49th anniversary on June 5th and our trip to the Fort had been cancelled so we decided to go to DS just because we were really missing Disney.  I just want to report on our experiences so other people can plan accordingly.  You have to park in the Orange parking garage which is the furthest garage from the older parts of Disney Springs.  There were lots of spaces on the first and second floors so parking is easy.  You are met by friendly CM's who direct you to a quick moving line for a 1 second temp check while still in the garage.  As you walk through the mall you notice that most of the small shops are still closed and there are no crowds so maintaining a social distance is not an issue.    Yes, we did wear masks as soon as we exited our cars so no one had to remind us.  We walked to the World of Disney store and entered on the west side of the building.  Its the only entrance.  All the other doors are for exit only.  Once inside we noticed they had removed a lot of the round shelving units to make more room to walk around.  Most patrons chose to wear masks.  We did see small children not wearing masks and  it did not cause any conflict with other patrons or CM's.  WE did experience difficulty walking out side with our masks but not inside.  It was a hot and humid day and once the masks got a little damp from breathing and the weather it became difficult to suck in air.  We ate inside at the Boatyard and noticed they had the tables separated at least 12 feet apart.  The food and service were great.  WE did not have to wear the masks inside but the entire staff did.  AS we walked back to the parking garage we both had to stop and rest twice because the masks made it difficult to keep enough O2 coming in.  There are CM's every where cleaning all surfaces.  One of the reasons why we like coming to Disney is because it is one of the happiest places on Earth.  With most everyone wearing a mask its difficult to see their smiles or hear their voices. So it didn't seem so happy. We left  2:00PM Wondering how we are going to go to the parks in August, our next reservation at the Fort.  We are hoping the pools are open by then.  It was good to be back if only for a few hours.  None of us know how this is all going to work itself out.  We are 70 ish so we may have to plan our trips using more rest periods or time in restaurants with A/C.  Finding ways to keep masks dry will also be an issue.

7 hours ago, DinDavie said:

Well it was our 49th anniversary on June 5th and our trip to the Fort had been cancelled so we decided to go to DS just because we were really missing Disney.  I just want to report on our experiences so other people can plan accordingly.  You have to park in the Orange parking garage which is the furthest garage from the older parts of Disney Springs.  There were lots of spaces on the first and second floors so parking is easy.  You are met by friendly CM's who direct you to a quick moving line for a 1 second temp check while still in the garage.  As you walk through the mall you notice that most of the small shops are still closed and there are no crowds so maintaining a social distance is not an issue.    Yes, we did wear masks as soon as we exited our cars so no one had to remind us.  We walked to the World of Disney store and entered on the west side of the building.  Its the only entrance.  All the other doors are for exit only.  Once inside we noticed they had removed a lot of the round shelving units to make more room to walk around.  Most patrons chose to wear masks.  We did see small children not wearing masks and  it did not cause any conflict with other patrons or CM's.  WE did experience difficulty walking out side with our masks but not inside.  It was a hot and humid day and once the masks got a little damp from breathing and the weather it became difficult to suck in air.  We ate inside at the Boatyard and noticed they had the tables separated at least 12 feet apart.  The food and service were great.  WE did not have to wear the masks inside but the entire staff did.  AS we walked back to the parking garage we both had to stop and rest twice because the masks made it difficult to keep enough O2 coming in.  There are CM's every where cleaning all surfaces.  One of the reasons why we like coming to Disney is because it is one of the happiest places on Earth.  With most everyone wearing a mask its difficult to see their smiles or hear their voices. So it didn't seem so happy. We left  2:00PM Wondering how we are going to go to the parks in August, our next reservation at the Fort.  We are hoping the pools are open by then.  It was good to be back if only for a few hours.  None of us know how this is all going to work itself out.  We are 70 ish so we may have to plan our trips using more rest periods or time in restaurants with A/C.  Finding ways to keep masks dry will also be an issue.

Great update.  
thanks. 

18 hours ago, DinDavie said:

Well it was our 49th anniversary on June 5th and our trip to the Fort had been cancelled so we decided to go to DS just because we were really missing Disney.  I just want to report on our experiences so other people can plan accordingly.  

Thanks for sharing your experience!

3 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Sound great and thanks for the update, sounds like carrying extra mask might be a option at least to switch off if they get to damp

Agreed.  I figured this one out the day I went spelunking around the local garden center and spent an hour out in the sun on a warm day (I overheat easily anyway). I've  been making cloth masks for family and friends and whenever anyone says they'd like one, I usually send them 2 - mostly thinking if one is in the wash, you still have one available. But with summer coming having a backup may be a good thing in general.

Just ran across this from an Orlando restaurant reviewer I follow. This is part one, with general thoughts on DS, the actual restaurant review is coming up next...

Dismal Springs: It's Going to be a Long Road to Reopening

ON  ON .

Springs reopening temp check

Took a trip out to check out Disney Spings, the dining and retail complex that was the first part of the resort to reopen, and found it a shell of its former self. It appeared that there are more venues that remain closed than are open.

Few guests, too, which was fine by me. I didn’t relish finding myself in scrum of people jostling about, even in a place that requires everyone to wear a mask. (More on masks in a moment.) People seemed to just wander. There was little to look at and the mood seemed depressing. Yes, dismal.

But I was anxious to see how Disney was handling the reopening; maybe it would give an insight into how the theme parks will be put back into play. And I was determined to have my first dine-in experience – more like a dine-at experience because I was determined to sit outside – since March 12.

Getting to Disney Springs is a bit of a circuitous route. Those of you who, like me, take the off ramp from I-4 and glide up the Disney Springs exit directly into the Orange Garage will find that level blocked off. Instead, you must take the ramp down to Buena Vista Drive towards the Lime Garage.

But when you take the required U-turn at the light there, you’ll discover that the Lime Garage is blocked off. So you continue back up Buena Vista Drive to...the Orange Garage. Can’t imagine why we can’t enter the garage without the long loop, but I’m sure people smarter than I have figured this out.

And by the way, surface parking is closed, which I find counterintuitive. You’d think that it would be desirable to have people in the open air rather than the relative closed-in space of a parking garage. But I assume it has to do with limiting entrance points.

And that’s because all people entering Disney Springs must first subject their foreheads for a fever check, which is facilitated by people wearing AdventHealth t-shirts at the Orange Garage’s second-level access point to the Springs.

Also at this point, Disney cast members make sure everyone is wearing a face mask. Seeing a guest approach wearing a mask with a broken strap, a cast member pulled him aside and offered him a new one.

(I noticed that there is a small tent off to the side where the temperature-takers are taking temperatures. Is this for people whose temperature is above 98.6? Lord knows what happens in there.)

Given the strictures about wearing a mask – at all times except when eating or drinking – I was surprised how many people were walking around without one. But I was heartened when a cast member approached two men whose masks were around their necks and told them they would have to cover up. And did anyone think of the loophole that allows people to keep the mask off if they’re walking around with a beer?

Springs reopening cleaning

There was a lot of cleaning going on, and plenty of places to resquirt your hands with sanitizer. The fellow in the photo above had a nice job cleaning the handrails on the escalators. He just had to stand in one place and the work came to him.

As I said above, I was interested in finding a place to sit outside and have a bite to eat. Several of my first choices weren’t open, including Jaleo, Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill, Edison’s, Maria & Enzo’s, Raglan Road and City Works. (Raglan Road’s quick-serve operation, Cooke’s of Dublin, was open and the main restaurant was opening Wednesday, June 10. City Works was the last place I dined at before the closure, which occurred before I could publish my review.)

Springs reopening morimoto

Springs reopening morimoto2

Morimoto Asia was open but apparently wasn't utilizing its second level outdoor seating. (Indeed the entire second floor was closed.) The bar area had most of its furniture removed.

Springs reopening cashless

A sign of the times, literally. More and more places are refusing to accept cash, also known as filthy lucre. The Glass Knife was ahead of the times when it opened with a credit card only payment system. Some places still haven't figured out how to complete the transaction without having the customers pick up a pen or use the touch screen to sign their name.

Boathouse had one of the more desirable venues with plenty of outdoor space overlooking the lagoon. I’d have chosen it if my last experience there hadn’t been one of overpriced mediocre food.

Instead, my companion and I chose Terralina Crafted Italian for our dinner.

I’ll have my review for you tomorrow.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5266-dismal-springs-it-s-going-to-be-a-long-road-to-reopening?fbclid=IwAR2aHdbWJ_43pc8sd6XGnG5qt9o9FP6KGxO66jccR3zdrNcERgZSAUMr1PY

I wonder when he was there?  House of Blues  and several of the places he mentioned are now open, Marria and Enzios being one albeit some are carry-out only. Since the Bars are now allowed to open I think that list will grow even bigger pretty soon.

13 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I wonder when he was there?  House of Blues  and several of the places he mentioned are now open, Marria and Enzios being one albeit some are carry-out only. Since the Bars are now allowed to open I think that list will grow even bigger pretty soon.

Must have been right at the beginning of the opening.

2 hours ago, djsamuel said:

I don't know if Scott Joseph likes much of anything at the start.  He looks for the negative and then has to be convinced otherwise.  Of course maybe that is what makes a good food critic.

Fair points!  🙂

Plus I'm not really sure how much of a Disney fan he is. Seems at least some of the people that were eager to get to DS when it opened did so at least in part because they were looking to fill the Disney fix they'd been missing.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted a couple of hours ago. Not sure how this is going to effect the bars at Disney Springs - to go cups for everyone?

BREAKING NEWS: Alcohol Consumption Banned On Premises at Florida Bars

By  

The global health crisis continues to require significant regulation around the United States.

With cases on the rise in Florida, we recently saw a new travel advisory put in place for entering and leaving the state. Now, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation has announced a statewide ban of on-premises alcohol consumption at bars.

In a tweet this morning, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation announced the new ban.

At the time of writing, no additional details have been shared. This is a developing situation and we will continue to update this story as we learn more. Stay tuned.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020/06/26/breaking-news-alcohol-consumption-banned-on-premises-at-florida-bars/?fbclid=IwAR36CKTTA62RiZNnYDsMYncdDKYf5eSOzDkpu2r9jNld4fbvVh1GfBhax20

9 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Posted a couple of hours ago. Not sure how this is going to effect the bars at Disney Springs - to go cups for everyone?

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020/06/26/breaking-news-alcohol-consumption-banned-on-premises-at-florida-bars/?fbclid=IwAR36CKTTA62RiZNnYDsMYncdDKYf5eSOzDkpu2r9jNld4fbvVh1GfBhax20

If it's like the previous ban when this mess first started, it's a ban at pure bars only, not restaurants with bars.