RUMOR-FW DVC Cancelled?

https://blogmickey.com/2020/06/rumor-reflections-a-lakeside-lodge-disney-vacation-club-property-has-been-cancelled/?fbclid=IwAR3liWLZNsZ0yYDCGtdVADeCAad44ZQ8kSjHIlO-BuUHfMSPN1Yzb1LQNto

A rumor has begun circulating recently that the proposed Disney Vacation Club property Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge has been cancelled.

reflections-a-disney-lakeside-lodge-entr

At this point, Disney has not made an official statement as to the status of the project, but a reputable WDWMagic Forum user has noted that the project has either been postponed or cut completely.

BlogMickey.com has not been able to verify the claims, but it would align with a story that we wrote earlier this year that noted that projects around property were being defunded. It is very likely that the project will see a delay at the very least as Disney continues to monitor the timeshare market as the economy attempts to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.

As for actual evidence of the project’s cancellation, friend of the site @bioreconstruct recently flew over the construction site and photos show very little progress (if any) on the site in the months since construction came to a halt.

reflections-a-disney-lakeside-lodge-aeri

Perhaps the most interesting part of this photo is the greenish hue seen on half of the construction site. This is very likely seeding for new grass. If Disney were planning on ramping up construction soon, it would seem unlikely that they would be intent on replanting grass on an active construction site. Of course, this is all speculation and nothing official has been announced yet as to the status of the project. Any information here should be treated as a rumor and considered unofficial unless and until Disney announces it.

Then again, it’s possible that Disney may never acknowledge the canning of the project. We’re still waiting on official confirmation that the previously announced Main Street Theater isn’t happening.

Please dear lord tell me this is true. I didn't like what we saw when this all started. Would love to see this project cancelled. If they are concerned about the timeshare market maybe they will change their mind and put more campsites back in there. They have a lot of landscaping that would need to be completed.

They already have 2 swimmin holes dug!  Or they could use them for paddleboats or radio controlled boats like they have at Busch Gardens.

It just depends on how much infrastructure is already completed as to what they will do with the site.

If there's enough already in place they might just sit on it until the economy rebounds.

If there's not a lot buried and it could be dug up, they might let it go back to nature for a while.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I just hope they don't leave it as an unfinished, construction eyesore for 10 years....

Absolutely.  Someone on Facebook wondered if they would consider more camping loops.  My first thought was no, but with the large increase in camper sales, I have to wonder if they would consider that given the relatively low level of investment. 

I heard it is on hold for at least 5 years, and that is probably what they will do; let it sit and wait.

14 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Absolutely.  Someone on Facebook wondered if they would consider more camping loops.  My first thought was no, but with the large increase in camper sales, I have to wonder if they would consider that given the relatively low level of investment. 

Campsites could work to help bring in $ at least short term vs an empty piece of land. Then if/when they get it started again it wouldn't be a huge deal to bulldoze campsites and resume the original plan (shudder).

55 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I heard it is on hold for at least 5 years, and that is probably what they will do; let it sit and wait.

39 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Campsites could work to help bring in $ at least short term vs an empty piece of land. Then if/when they get it started again it wouldn't be a huge deal to bulldoze campsites and resume the original plan (shudder).

Except  installing all the utilities along with the roads would not be cheap.. Then you would have to remove it all to build since you could have future failures where all the pipes (water & sewer) are located.  It would also require one or more additional bath houses.   Would be nice though. And they definitely need to rebuild the BYBBQ.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

But (don't hate me) aren't a lot of sites empty Monday or Tuesday thru Thursday? Not a lot of incentive to build more sites. 

I thought that's what our favorite bus driver had posted a few times.

5 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Except  installing all the utilities along with the roads would not be cheap.. Then you would have to remove it all to build since you could have future failures where all the pipes (water & sewer) are located.  It would also require one or more additional bath houses.   Would be nice though. And they definitely need to rebuild the BYBBQ.

Very true.  It would be less than finishing the DVC but still not a small expenditure.  Rebuilding BYBBQ might be a better option for at least *some* short-term $ without a ton of expense.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

But (don't hate me) aren't a lot of sites empty Monday or Tuesday thru Thursday? Not a lot of incentive to build more sites. 

Yeah, you're not wrong there.  Every time the topic of more sites comes up that's pretty much where it leads.  I have to think that if sites were packed 7 days a week, and not just during a few holidats, we'd have seen more added by now already.

It's mostly a dream for those of us who've repeatedly run into a brick wall trying to get weekend reservations less than 499 days out.

17 hours ago, Travisma said:

I thought that's what our favorite bus driver had posted a few times.

I'm far from an expert and this is purely anecdotal but every time we've stayed at the Fort there are plenty of open sites during the week. From when we arrive on Sunday until we leave the following Saturday while the Fort isn't a ghost town it is low key and fairly quiet everyday except Friday. 

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

I'm far from an expert and this is purely anecdotal but every time we've stayed at the Fort there are plenty of open sites during the week. From when we arrive on Sunday until we leave the following Saturday while the Fort isn't a ghost town it is low key and fairly quiet everyday except Friday. 

That was our experience when we were there with the Winter Settlers (Dec- April).  As Mo mentioned that does however mess up those who want a full week since the locals grab the weekends at the 499 day mark as many use a TA. We we would see the same people 2 or 3 weekends a month.

22 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

That was our experience when we were there with the Winter Settlers (Dec- April).  As Mo mentioned that does however mess up those who want a full week since the locals grab the weekends at the 499 day mark as many use a TA. We we would see the same people 2 or 3 weekends a month.

But yet when you try to book on line or call for just a weekend, they will tell you that Sat/Sun are not available, but when you add Thursday/Friday to the weekend they miraculously appear.

54 minutes ago, Travisma said:

But yet when you try to book on line or call for just a weekend, they will tell you that Sat/Sun are not available, but when you add Thursday/Friday to the weekend they miraculously appear.

That is soley due to the min/max rules Disney has in place for all the resorts that come into play at certain capacities. And no., we do not know what the parameters of those rules are. 

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

24 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

That is soley due to the min/max rules Disney has in place for all the resorts that come into play at certain capacities. And no., we do not know what the parameters of those rules are. 

And if they allowed SAT & SUN alone they would  probably have  a lot of people upset that couldn't book FRI-SAT-SUN  which is probably a higher percentage than the SAT-SUN crowd.  

59 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

And I have a feeling those rules shift based on the resort and time of year.  Doesn't surprise me Disney doesn't publish them. They probably don't want people figuring out how to game the system like in the past.