A little get away

We stayed at a camping resort called Farmers Gene near Shawno Wi.

Once we arrived I ran in to check us in. Now when I called I was told we would be by the pool would that be ok. First mistake should of asked more questions. I said sure as we have no bathroom in are pop and thought this would mean close to the restrooms. I signed some papers was given a gate card and shown on the map where to go. I was a little surprised that no other info was given. Not even a map. We drive down to are site past the pool and we had some trouble finding are spot. Did not know that they are marked on the trees and go even and odd. That would of been helpful. It is looking really crowded and a women came over to me trying to sell me tye dye items. I politely declined. She also informed that it was Blue Grass weekend.

Now I did see that on the website for themed weekends but I was thinking it would be canceled like everything else.  Second mistake not asking if it was canceled. Now this women did tell me that this was going to be a mini fest because the the real one was canceled. Third mistake not going in the office to ask about this. I do know that they have a strict no refund policy and only offer credits.

We got a late start and it's getting late we set up and I go off to find the bathrooms. I will end it here in suspense will I find a bathroom what will it be like?

Left off in search of a flushable toilet. I know we passed the pool on the way in so I head off in that direction. 

First I have to climb a hill and it's not small you could sled down this  baby in winter. Walk across the driveway past the office check in area I see a restroom sign.

I walk in and there are 3 showers that you have to pay to use. Another mistake not asking about the showers I guess if free showers are not listed you need to ask.

3 sinks and 4 stalls with regular toilets. So one good thing! This bathroom was in major need of a remodel but does not look to bad.

Head back down and finish set up. The guy across from us has 3 easy tents 2 sleeping and a nice tye dye sheet hanging up. It looks like no limits to what you can have on site.

Also there is a fire ring up against a tree so it looks like make a fire anywhere you want? 

They have a on site bar and restaurant that was what I planned on for dinner. I did see a sign at the office only dine in from 6-8 because of lack of staff. Sorry but we did not feel comfortable eating in and no outside dining. My son found us a little place about 10 min away in town. Counter service outside tables and ice cream. We head over there. This place was perfect for what we needed and the food wasn't bad.

We head back to the resort and it's party time the have a pavilion with a stage up front where you enter and this place was rockin. We head back to the camper and it's party time by the site across from us also. I saw a sign that says quiet time 11 pm we will turn the tv up and wait till then.

Up next does it get quiet at 11? 

11 o'clock comes and goes and it's not quiet. We are sleepy so we turn in for the night. We head up to the bathroom my son and husband watch some of the show from a distance. We head back down and try to sleep. Around 1 'o clock when it's quiet enough for me to fall a sleep with ear plugs in. My husband is a little hard of hearing so he drifts right off. I found out later my son fell a sleep around the same time as me.

7:30 am I am awakened by the sound of yard work being done not sure where it was but, close. My husband got up around 7 and went for a walk around. 

My son slept another hour. We get up make breakfast dressed and get the heck out of there. 

What do we do ?Where do we go? 

So, we head out and drive about 30 min away to get some sun drop soda. This is where they make it in glass bottles. I think they used to make all of it here but now most of it is done in Texas.

They have a little museum that was closed because well we all know why. But the gift shop was open of course. We got a case and a few other kinds of sodas. They also make a brand called Twig's. They have some really good and different flavors. Next we walked around the town for a bit.

We left and went to a little town that my great grandparents used to live that was about 20 min away.We drove around and I showed my son where their house used to be before the highway came thru.

They have a really good market that sells fresh sausage, ham and, other things. We got some things for dinner. And we found a farm that had a little stand set up with homemade maple syrup. We bought 2 bottles. Next we found a Walmart to get a few things. Well a few things turned out to be a lot of things. We now decided to make are way back and start to cook dinner.

What do we find when we get back?

As we get close to the entrance cars are lined up down the road. We pull in and the parking lot is full. There is a band on the stage,the place is packed.

We get back to are site unpack all of are stuff. Someone is playing music loud. I look around don't see anyone in are area. I walk down the road and a few spots down I find it.

There is a speaker about three feet tall blasting away and not one person in sight. I head back over to are site and try to relax as my husband starts the grill. I can not relax I am to upset that someone would play music that loud and just leave. We have dinner clean up and decide to take a walk around by the seasonal sites to try and find some quiet.

This place is really big and there are a ton of seasonal sites. We did find some quiet and said hi to some friendly folks. Has we are walking back we see a road that goes to the left my husband wants to check it out. I say let's wait and do it tomorrow we have been walking for about a hour and I'm tired. We get back and some of are neighbors are out and they are loud. We decide to leave again and go into town and back to the place we had dinner the night before and get some ice cream.

We stay for about a hour just finally relaxing and enjoying are treat. I really do not want to go back but it's only for one more night with this group. We head back and it's actually not that bad. 

Stay tuned to see if it last.

So, we get back and trek up the hill to the bathrooms. I have to wait in line. My son and husband listen to some music while waiting for me. The place is still packed.

I do have to say that both nights there was a sheriff on duty. I did feel better when I saw that.

We walked past the office on are way down and I noticed a sign in the window. They would be closing at 3 so they could enjoy the music. If you have guests coming in after that you will have to let them in. In other words after 3 do what you want.

We got comfy and watched a little TV. My husband went to bed and my son and I watched a office episode. We decided to call it a night. We walked back up the hill for one more bathroom trip before bed. It was a little strange being in my pj's   with all those people around. It is now around 11. We get back and get into bed when here come the golf carts and with them well you can guess?

How is are night how much sleep do we get?

This was a rough night! We thought the night before was bad this was worse! The last time I looked at the time it was close to 3 am.

There was a women who was behind us that was alone on Friday and was quiet. Not so on this night she had visitors and there was one women who was really loud.

Now this campground has all the same sites so, there are tents next to big rigs next to pop up campers. I do not know how people could be so rude?

At about 6 my husband needed to use the rest room, I went with. The group across from us had someone sleeping on the ground rolled up in a blanket. There was a few cars with the women behind us. So I'm guessing it was some party.

On the way up the hill that I was really hating, my husband who remember is hard of hearing told me he could not sleep because of the noise that night.

We made are way back and we both fell back to sleep but, for how long?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I drifted back off to sleep only to be awakened 30 min later. The troops had started to pack up finally! My husband was sitting outside has he had not been able to fall back a sleep. My son also was now up. We talked about how loud everyone was all night! He also did not get any sleep as the people behind us had been laughing and talking really loud and that was right by his bed. People can be so rude! We stayed in bed and relaxed for a while. My husband started breakfast cooking outside. My son and I went out and joined him. Normally I would never do this but I was so mad and tired and I really couldn't care any more.

My son had brought a small portable speaker and I let him put on rap music as loud has he could. That got the group behind us out of their camper. Let me tell you they looked rough. The people that had brought the extra cars with got out of there fast. The woman started to take down her stuff and we started talking really loud, like practically shouting. I also may have laughed really loud for no reason at all. I did get a few dirty looks from her and I was glad. I hope she got the message. By the time we finished breakfast a good amount of the grounds had cleared out. These people packed up fast I jokingly said they had to go home and get to bed but, maybe I was right.

We got dressed and also headed out. We wanted to do some hiking at a conservation park about 45 min away. We arrived and the place was beautiful we walked for a bit and there is a small lake with a bench. We made the mistake of sitting down. We could hardly get back up we just wanted to take a nap. We cut are walk short and went shopping for dinner. We found a local meat market and got some really great burgers. We made are way back to camp and this time I wasn't dreading it.

Once back the place was like night and day. Only a few other campers remained and it was quiet. We wanted to do mini golf that they had and shuffle board. We decided that today would be good for that. Ya they shut everything down. The store is only open Friday nights and Saturdays.  You could not rent anything. This campground is right next to lake and you can also rent paddles for canoes. Because of all the people around I didn't feel safe going down by the store before. Another mistake I would never would of guessed it would be closed on Sunday.

We decided to have a early dinner so the grill was started. It was so nice to just enjoy the quiet. The burgers turned out really good. After dinner with a little more energy we decided to finish are walk around the grounds that we started the night before. 

Up next now I'm mad again.

My son decided he wanted to sit in the hot tub. A few kids in the pool hot tub open. He gets in I put my feet in and husband finds a chair.

After about 10 min my son wants to stay in my husband and I head off on a walk. We head down towards the lake. They have a really long pier we walk to the end. Some of the boards could use replacing. We see the canoes and a couple of paddle boats one is sunk in the water. There is a bunch of garbage on the small beach.

Head back to pool area son is on the phone with his cousin. We talk for a bit and son wants to stay. Husband and I head off. Now the other night husband wanted to go down this road I was to tired so, that's were we head. There is a lot more seasonal sites here and then we see a huge grassy area for night campers and I start to wonder if this would of been more quiet? I do not think seasonal campers would of put up with the noise. We keep on walking all the way to the end. We find a little playground a pavilion that activities are in. Side note they had a sign on the office door with some activities listed. I just thought it was at a little building up by the office that when we walked by had art supplies and games. I guess I was wrong this was the place. There also was a building with laundry and a bathroom. All of this seemed pretty new. The bathroom was clean and had a bunch of showers. Now the first night I asked the woman selling tye dye where are the bathrooms? She told me port potties or up the hill by the pool. We could of driven down here and used these nice bathrooms to shower and get ready.

I was mad at myself for not walking down here sooner I would of loved to see if there was any open sites. I really hope there wasn't because some sites did look like they had been empty. I would hope they would not of put us in the party central if they had open spots here.We head back and tell my son about what we have found he wants to see, we leave him and get the van it's a long walk. We bring his stuff with and he gets dressed there. After that it's still kind of early but if we sit down we will fall asleep. What should we do? Ice cream of course why break the streak now? We head off into town and get are last treat. After this we head back my husband and son make a small fire. We sit out there for a little while and my husband heads off to bed. My son and I watch one episode of the office. We call it a night he makes sure the fire is out I head up the hill to the bathroom thinking about the what if's with that other camping area.

Looking forward to a quiet night sleep. 

• 2 weeks later...

After finally getting a restful nights sleep it was time to leave. My husband and I took one last walk around. This time we walked in a area by the store. More seasonal sites,this place is big. We decided to skip making breakfast. It was looking like rain. We started to pack up. With having a pop up you do not want to take it down in the rain if you know what I mean? Side note we have wanted a new camper for so long but life keeps getting in the way.

My son and I made one more trek up to the bathroom the hill is starting to feel like a mountain. When we got back my husband had it pretty much done. It was starting to get really dark. I was sad that we did not play any games the whole time so, we brought out some uno cards and a few snacks. We just started to play when we heard thunder. So much for family game time. Hitched up the pop took one last look around and pulled out.

Stopped in the office to turn in the gate card. There was two girls working one in late teens one in early twenty's. I told them about are stay and that we would not be back. The older girl new right away right where are site was and the people I was talking about. I told her that it would of been nice to be warned when I called for the reservation. She said the usual sorry and I will pass it on. My son came in just as I was about to leave with a umbrella it was pouring! A perfect ending at least we got all packed up first!

It rained on and off all the way home. Was really storming once we got home with a ton of lighting. We ran in the house with what needed to come in. Once in found out that lighting had struck and we had no cable, internet or, wifi. Looks like family game night is back on.

Final thought it was good to get away we made the best of it. Thanks for reading along and I wish quiet camping nights for everyone!