Shanghai Disneyland Removes FastPass Service, Now Only Offers Paid Line-Jumping

https://wdwnt.com/2020/07/shanghai-disneyland-removes-fastpass-service-now-only-offers-paid-line-jumping/

Not posting the entire article, too many pictures....

When Shanghai Disneyland reopened, the theme park was utilizing the Standby Pass system, the FastPass system, and Disney Premier Access. Disney Premier Access is a paid FastPass type reservation system (similar to the MaxPass system found at Disneyland.)

However, it seems Shanghai Disneyland has quietly removed the FastPass option from the park. Friend of the site @angeliquemagique on Instagram has given us permission to share her story and the screenshots below of her recent visit to the park where she documented the updated queue system in her stories.

Walking up the queue of Tron Lightcycle Power Run was when @angeliquemagique noticed that the FastPass option was gone, with just the Standby queue and Disney Premier Access options available.

Early June it was announced that the reopening of the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks would not be offering FastPass+, virtual queues, or single rider queue options for attractions. With these changes, do you think this system could be coming to Walt Disney World Resort? Leave us a comment below with your thoughts on the changes!

Yes, I think something like this is being contemplated for WDW. 

Initially, it didn’t make sense to me that they halted ticket sales and hotel reservations for 2020. The more I think about it, I think that the plan for 2020 will be to continue to limit park and hotel access, but to resume limited sales and jack up the prices like they do for the after hours events.  

Time will tell.

TCD

46 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yes, I think something like this is being contemplated for WDW. 

Initially, it didn’t make sense to me that they halted ticket sales and hotel reservations for 2020. The more I think about it, I think that the plan for 2020 will be to continue to limit park and hotel access, but to resume limited sales and jack up the prices like they do for the after hours events.  

Time will tell.

TCD

Getting a bigger bang for their bucks

Universal has been selling line jumping for a long time now. I'm surprised it has taken Disney this long to implement it at any of their parks. While I'm not a fan of having to pay more I will give the Universal system credit that unlike FP+ I don't have to worry that all the available slots were taken before I could log into My Disney Experience.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Universal has been selling line jumping for a long time now. I'm surprised it has taken Disney this long to implement it at any of their parks. While I'm not a fan of having to pay more I will give the Universal system credit that unlike FP+ I don't have to worry that all the available slots were taken before I could log into My Disney Experience.

They’ve been selling MaxPass at Disneyland for quite a few years now.  First it was $10 a day, now it’s $20. It wouldn’t work with WDW’s Fastpass Plus model, but they seem like they’re ready to finally admit defeat with that. 

TCD

14 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

They’ve been selling MaxPass at Disneyland for quite a few years now.  First it was $10 a day, now it’s $20. It wouldn’t work with WDW’s Fastpass Plus model, but they seem like they’re ready to finally admit defeat with that. 

TCD

Didn't Disney spend like 5 billion on FP+? FP+ was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. I liked the old paper ticket system better.

I really liked the FP+ system, but it did require you to 'be in the know' about Disney.  Most people are not aware of having to make reservations out so far in advance.  Most people don't think of anything other than  buying a ticket, when planning on a theme park experience.   if you want to jump the line, you pay for the extra experience when you get there.  SeaWorld has had the pay system for a number of years.  I feel sorry for the people that use it in San Antonio.  The coasters and rides here haven't needed that extra ticket for a number of years, except maybe on holiday weekends and Halloween. 

I hope the don't do away with it, entirely.   It would be nice to keep the advance free FP+, but if you are a 'day of'person, there could be some way for you to buy 3 premium FP's, and then let you loose with the app to grab extra like the rest of us do on the day. 

On 7/8/2020 at 7:49 AM, ImDownWithDisney said:

Didn't Disney spend like 5 billion on FP+? FP+ was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. I liked the old paper ticket system better.

I’ve heard so many different figures about what FP+ cost that I don’t know what to believe. Whatever it was, it was a lot. Guests were promised so many great things with that program- like Fastpasses being loaded automatically throughout the day to move crowds to less busy attractions. The fact of the matter is that it never worked as promised and was a huge waste of money. But, so much money was wasted that it couldn’t be trashed. 

At last years’ D23 expo in Anaheim, they announced that they would be rolling out something they called a Genie Pass that sure sounded like it would replace FP+. My suspicion was that would be a paid add-on for guests. 

With them now rationing park entry and not offering fastpass of any kind, they have a clean slate to charge for line skipping. They are not going to leave that money in guests’ pockets.

TCD