Disney Confirms Permanent Closure of Primeval Whirl, Rivers of Light, & Stitch’s Great Escape

Stitch isn't a surprise.  It seems that it's been closed longer than its been open and primeval has been having mechanical issues in the past.

According to a post on Twitter from Disney Reporter Scott Gustin Thursday, Disney has announced that two Walt Disney World attractions and one nighttime spectacular would be closing for good.

Disney confirms Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom, Stitch's Great Escape at Magic Kingdom and Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom are permanently closed. pic.twitter.com/dapOGOlbWt

— Scott Gustin (@ScottGustin) July 16, 2020

Stitch's Great Escape in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom has changed to a character meet and greet and switched to a seasonal attraction over the years, but now it's going to be closed permanently.

Primeval Whirl in DinoLand U.S.A. at Disney's Animal Kingdom is also closing down.

Since Disney's Animal Kingdom reopened last week, the park has been closing by 6:00 p.m. We can't confirm that this is the reason for the theme park's nighttime spectacular, Rivers of Light, to be permanently discontinued, but we'll update this post when we receive confirmation.

I've long said that Stitch is possibly the worst attraction at WDW ever and IMO should have gone years ago.  Actually it was supposed to and then they started randomly opening it when it was busy.

Supposedly there's been a replacement in the works for Rivers of Light for a while - or at least it's been rumored for a while.  Not too surprising given all the technical difficulties and tweaks they've had to do pretty much since it opened.

Primeval Whirl is kind of a surprise in that I haven't heard of anything to replace it.  But it's also had quite a few issues with maintenance over the years. Maybe it was finally time to cut their losses on that one.  I won't be sad to see it go.

As of 7/22  Vehicles Removed from Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom.

Demolishment of the dinosaur-themed roller coaster Primeval Whirl continues at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. 

According to @ScottGustin, the ride vehicles have been officially removed from the track, located in the Dinoland, U.S.A. area of the theme park.

It's been removed from the AK web page also.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:56 AM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I've long said that Stitch is possibly the worst attraction at WDW ever and IMO should have gone years ago.  Actually it was supposed to and then they started randomly opening it when it was busy.

Supposedly there's been a replacement in the works for Rivers of Light for a while - or at least it's been rumored for a while.  Not too surprising given all the technical difficulties and tweaks they've had to do pretty much since it opened.

Primeval Whirl is kind of a surprise in that I haven't heard of anything to replace it.  But it's also had quite a few issues with maintenance over the years. Maybe it was finally time to cut their losses on that one.  I won't be sad to see it go.

Stitch was awful, I rode Primeval Whirl exactly once, and only because I found a FP for it on the ground. Waaaay to spinny for my taste. Rivers of Light was just eh, and a huge time drain, and crowd nightmare (especially with 2 shows).