Animal Kingdom's Disney+ debut might be a sign of more streaming content ahead from Orlando parks

Kind of long article, interesting bits and pieces below

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/09/14/animal-kingdoms-disney-debut-might-be-a-sign-of-more-streaming-content-ahead-from-orlando-parks?utm_source=feature&utm_medium=home&utm_campaign=hpfeatures&utm_content=HomeTopFeature

At the same time, Disney has been looking to add more Disney Parks content to Disney+ with a new veterinarian focused reality show that shows the daily workings at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The show is surprisingly one only a handful on Disney+ that’s concentrated on Disney Parks. Produced by National Geographic, the new show, titled Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, brings a synergy to Disney+ that so far yet to be seen. Using the highly recognizable National Geographic branding to add a level of legitimacy to the show, Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom is expected to showcase Disney’s award-winning animal care while also promoting the park, now the second most visited theme park in Florida. Despite the name, the show will also showcase the veterinarian care throughout Walt Disney World, including Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge and Epcot's Living Seas aquarium.

A lot of the infrastructure that allows these in-park live streams to take place is thanks to the Disney Stores that dot suburban malls across the nation. On May 2, 2015, Disney unveiled the next generation of Disney Stores at the Sunvalley Shopping Center in Concord, CA. The store replaced the dated animatronics that the 1990s Disney Stores were known for; instead, this store relied heavily on projection mapping, ‘storytelling neighborhoods,’ and the Disney Store Theater. The theater was to broadcast live feeds from various Disney parks throughout the day. As guests shopped, they could stop and watch the parade from Disneyland or the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom. By 2017, the idea was pushed even further when to help sell the experience, during the streams store employees would push snack and retail carts similar to those used at Disney Parks past guests who were enjoying the live streams.

The idea didn’t last long as it quickly became apparent that the live feeds became a focal point that distracted shoppers from shopping. Within a few years, the concept was all but abandoned, but the short-lived experiment did prove live feeds from the parks were possible.

At the 2019 D23 Expo, just as Disney was giving all attendees an introductory rate to sign up for Disney+, the company announced a massive multi-billion-dollar redo of Epcot. In the slew of concept art was one piece featuring what looks to be a television studio inside the EPCOT Garden Festival Center in the middle of World Celebration. In concept art revealing the studio, two hosts are seen seated behind a desk with Spaceship Earth behind them, large broadcast style cameras and lighting rigs can be seen, with visitors standing nearby watching.

While Disney has not confirmed details regarding the studio, the location within the festival center is telling. Epcot’s various festivals regularly see high-profile guests hosting special panels, events, or educational workshops. Some of the classes and events are already filmed and broadcast live on monitors to allow for larger classes. The location of the proposed studio is also nearly identical to where Disney already hosts many of its live streams from with Epcot’s World Showcase lagoon or Spaceship Earth already regularly featured as the backdrop.

Various content creators have already gained a following by live-streaming within Disney Parks. Attractions Magazine, a Central Florida based publication devoted to all aspects of the attractions industry, hosts a weekly live-stream that regularly sees thousands of viewers tune-in during the hour-long broadcasts.

Disney could potentially create its own in-house daily Disney Parks content if it had its own studio. Just as ViacomCBS has found success with its television-style live channel programming through the Pluto TV app, Disney could potentially run these programs live in a television channel style format similar to how it operates its ABC News Live channel on Hulu. At the same time, a constant stream of in-park content could be used to promote new events in Disney Parks.

21 minutes ago, rjpete said:

I am very disappointed with Disney +, and my plan is to drop it when it is time to renew in November.

I signed up for the special 3 year discount price before it came on line so at this point it's a good deal for how much we watch it.

Come renewal time I'll have to make a decision if it's worth it.

No kids in the house so we don't watch a lot of the cartoons or movies, and what movies I'm interested in I have on disk.

I've watched a few of the series and they weren't too bad, but they definitely need to ramp up new original content if they are going to compete with the big boys.

Just having all of their old catalogs available isn't going to be enough to keep or gain new subscribers.

How often can you watch Marvel or Star Wars.

I disagree with those who think Disney+ isn’t worth it. The series on the guy who collects Disney memorabilia and the series documenting the making of Frozen 2 are excellent. I’ve enjoyed watching movies that I never saw in theaters, and had no interest in purchasing, like Tron and Tron Legacy (now I’m ready for the new attraction).  I’ve watched quite a few of the non-MCU Marvel movies like both Fantastic 4 movies and the X-men movies.  I think it’s great and a bargain. 

TCD

9 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I disagree with those who think Disney+ isn’t worth it. The series on the guy who collects Disney memorabilia and the series documenting the making of Frozen 2 are excellent. I’ve enjoyed watching movies that I never saw in theaters, and had no interest in purchasing, like Tron and Tron Legacy (now I’m ready for the new attraction).  I’ve watched quite a few of the non-MCU Marvel movies like both Fantastic 4 movies and the X-men movies.  I think it’s great and a bargain. 

TCD

I agree I think I paid $140 for 3 years. My daughter loves it and it's nice to have a streaming service that has family entertainment. We can always find a movie to watch on the weekend. We also have Netflix and prime video,  never watch either one.

22 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

We did the D+ Hulu bundle, so for us it's worth it.

But I'd pay a monthly fee just to be able to watch the Princess Bride any time of the day or night.  🙂

Thanks for mentioning The Princess Bride. I knew it was on Disney+, but I had never seen it. After you jogged my memory, I watched it for the first time ever (inconceivable) last night.  What a gem!

This is a perfect example of the value of Disney+ for me. The Princess Bride is a movie that was recommended to me by lots of people, but I never felt like making the effort to track down a copy.  Disney+ made it easy. After I watched it, they recommended the movie Willow- another movie I’ve never seen, but will now watch. This is great for someone like me who wouldn’t dream of seeing a princess or fantasy movie in the 80s or 90s, but now I can watch and appreciate them. 

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for mentioning The Princess Bride. I knew it was on Disney+, but I had never seen it. After you jogged my memory, I watched it for the first time ever (inconceivable) last night.  What a gem!

This is a perfect example of the value of Disney+ for me. The Princess Bride is a movie that was recommended to me by lots of people, but I never felt like making the effort to track down a copy.  Disney+ made it easy. After I watched it, they recommended the movie Willow- another movie I’ve never seen, but will now watch. This is great for someone like me who wouldn’t dream of seeing a princess or fantasy movie in the 80s or 90s, but now I can watch and appreciate them. 

TCD

Best movie ever!!

We do enjoy Disney+, I just thought we would use it more. 

I did enjoy the collector series and I've seen a couple of the new Muppet Show episodes.

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I watched it for the first time ever (inconceivable) last night.  What a gem!

I'm so glad you finally saw it.  It is indeed a gem.  I don't know how many dozens of times I've seen it at this point but it makes me happy every single time.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Best movie ever!!

Agreed X100!

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I did enjoy the collector series and I've seen a couple of the new Muppet Show episodes.

Oooh - totally forgot about that.  I need to check it out.

• 2 months later...