Traveling to Dollywood from Maryland

1 hour ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

We are thinking about a trip to Dollywood from Maryland.  Our motorhome is 38ft and we will be towing a car.  Do we have to go through the mountains, if so, how precarious is it?  Thanks, this would be a trip in November.

From what I've read on other sites, people seem to take I-40 across and do fine.

It all depends on which way you go. We live in De and just came up from there in August, took 40 out of Tn to 81 then up 81 to Winchester Va then 7 to 340 to 70. Most GPS or map services want to route you thru 66 thru DC I choose to avoid that. Yes there are mountains on 81 but really nothing to worry about, gentle climbs, to me more like rolling hills. Now in November I would keep a watch on the weather, we did it in a car mid November last year with no issues. If you want info on stop over spots let me know.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:25 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

It all depends on which way you go. We live in De and just came up from there in August, took 40 out of Tn to 81 then up 81 to Winchester Va then 7 to 340 to 70. Most GPS or map services want to route you thru 66 thru DC I choose to avoid that. Yes there are mountains on 81 but really nothing to worry about, gentle climbs, to me more like rolling hills. Now in November I would keep a watch on the weather, we did it in a car mid November last year with no issues. If you want info on stop over spots let me know.

Thanks for the route information.  We have a 1994 38ft Newmar Diesel pusher and will be towing a car.  The weather in November is definitely a concern for us.  We are looking at the week before Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving week.  My sister lives in Nashville and she is checking on the logistics with covid.  We will definitely map out your route and plan on a trip in the future.  The grandkids thought it looked like a fun place to visit.

14 hours ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

Thanks for the route information.  We have a 1994 38ft Newmar Diesel pusher and will be towing a car.  The weather in November is definitely a concern for us.  We are looking at the week before Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving week.  My sister lives in Nashville and she is checking on the logistics with covid.  We will definitely map out your route and plan on a trip in the future.  The grandkids thought it looked like a fun place to visit.

Glad to help. We went last year the week before Thanksgiving, the park will be in Christmas mode by then and they open later in the day. The days were nice but of course the nights were BRISK. The main road thru the tourist area had the 12 Days of Christmas in a light display, enjoy your trip and safe travels!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 6:35 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

Glad to help. We went last year the week before Thanksgiving, the park will be in Christmas mode by then and they open later in the day. The days were nice but of course the nights were BRISK. The main road thru the tourist area had the 12 Days of Christmas in a light display, enjoy your trip and safe travels!!!

We decided to postpone our Dollywood trip to a time when we don't have to worry about the weather.  Once we make the first trip I think we will be more comfortable going in November.  Christmas at Dollywood looks magical, but I don't know what the experience will be like this year.  We also postponed our Disney World trip from this November to November 2021.  

On 9/30/2020 at 6:25 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

Coming from AL I always take the WV route you mentioned above when traveling to visit family in MD.