28,000 jobs to be cut. Calif is being blamed

23 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

So sorry to hear about this.  The layoffs are going far beyond the performers and Guest Services.  I have friends with 25+ years in at Team Disney in the same situation.  Other whole divisions have been completely wiped out and eliminated.  It is not a good situation at all.  If they don't get California opened soon, it is going to get much worse.

Wow. The Disney Parks experience that we all knew and loved in the US is gone, and I don’t see it coming back. When they get around to rehiring, the new employees will be trained in a new way.  Guests with issues will probably be directed to call a call center, where issues will be handled with the same friendly incompetence that we’ve seen them use for passholders during the closure.  Live entertainment, parades and fireworks will be rare or nonexistent. But prices won’t come down. 

TCD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ll say it again… Instead of cutting entertainment, employees, etc. cut the prices of their tickets. They’re giving us a subpar product and still charging the same price.    It will bring

There is a lot of bitterness among the fired/laid off cast, i don't think a lot of them will even want to go back to WDW. I don't know if it is alright to post this here so, if not, take it down.

People aren't traveling. due to COVID, it has nothing to do with WDW prices.  DIS took a big financial hit because DL is still closed and DCL is shutdown as well.  

Orange County Florida Mayor Calls Disney World Layoffs “Sobering, but not Unexpected”

In a recent press conference, Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings called the announcement of Disney World layoffs “sobering” but said that the call from Disney was not unexpected. Demings noted that Disney World is the largest single-site employer in the country and while they have endeavoured to keep as many Cast Members employed as possible, it’s an undeniable fact that the economy isn’t going to support full staffing. Even Disney Parks Chairman Josh D’Amaro noted that Disney “cannot responsibly stay fully staffed while operating at such limited capacity”.

While we’re a Disney-focused blog, Disney is just the latest of the major theme parks to announce layoffs in the Central Florida area. While Disney World has officially laid off 6,700 Cast Members so far, that count is just the non-union layoffs that we know about. Disney is still negotiating with unions on both coasts to total up to 28,000 Cast Member layoffs.

On top of the Disney World announcement, Universal Orlando has laid off over 2,300 Team Members. SeaWorld has laid off 1,300. Other sectors of the tourism industry have laid off a collective 30,000 employees. When you add up all of the layoffs in the Central Florida area, it’s understandable why Demings would say that the layoffs were easy to foresee.

In total, Disney Parks will lay off nearly 30% off their domestic workforce, and Demings will be reopening the local CARES Act portal to assist those affected by the layoffs. Demings promised more details on Monday, October 5th. The last time the CARES Act portal was opened back in July, it was closed within 10 minutes after more than 10,000 applications were submitted. Orange County Florida has over $50 million in funding left to distribute, according to Demings.

I know a lot of big companies are hurting (or not performing to their shareholders expectations more than likely), but they should have some sort of reserves to make it thru, or at least be able to work out deals with lenders for $$ to carry them thru.

It's the mom and pop/small businesses that are being devastated all around the country.

I'm starting to see more negative posts about the parks than positive, and some of the pictures from WDW, Busch, Sea World show packed areas and long lines.

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

One more thing- if any of you Disney lovers out there think this won’t affect you, think again. Disney is firing performers who are irreplaceable, and has decimated its Guest Relations staff. The things that distinguished Disney from a Six Flags amusement park are all but gone. The current management thinks guests won’t care.  We are all in for a rude awakening. 

TCD

It's not just Disney either. 

I know first hand how other companies are using the current situation as an excuse to thin their ranks/cut services, in particular when it comes to higher paid employees. I totally get that when your business takes a big financial hit you need to make changes and get leaner to survive, but what I'm seeing myself is going beyond that to the point that the work/sales have rebounded considerably in the past couple of months, yet no staffing back up is taking place.  Instead the employees that are left are being expected to pick up the slack - sometimes by holes left by 2-3 other people that are now gone.  And not surprisingly it's the more senior (read: higher paid) employees being cut, and in some cases replaced by new hires with little to no experience.  But so goes the way of the corporate world these days...

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

If they don't get California opened soon, it is going to get much worse.

Sadly I agree this is very true.

3 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

It's not just Disney either. 

I know first hand how other companies are using the current situation as an excuse to thin their ranks/cut services, in particular when it comes to higher paid employees. I totally get that when your business takes a big financial hit you need to make changes and get leaner to survive, but what I'm seeing myself is going beyond that to the point that the work/sales have rebounded considerably in the past couple of months, yet no staffing back up is taking place.  Instead the employees that are left are being expected to pick up the slack - sometimes by holes left by 2-3 other people that are now gone.  And not surprisingly it's the more senior (read: higher paid) employees being cut, and in some cases replaced by new hires with little to no experience.  But so goes the way of the corporate world these days...

Sadly I agree this is very true.

My oldest daughter works for an airline in the back offices dealing with employees schedules etc.

When all this started happening, she chose to stay on with a pay cut instead of being furloughed (some of them started making more on unemployment then her new pay rate).

Some retired and the furloughed ones haven't been brought back so she's been doing the work of at least 3 sometimes 4 people.

40 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I know a lot of big companies are hurting (or not performing to their shareholders expectations more than likely), but they should have some sort of reserves to make it thru, or at least be able to work out deals with lenders for $$ to carry them thru.

It's the mom and pop/small businesses that are being devastated all around the country.

I'm starting to see more negative posts about the parks than positive, and some of the pictures from WDW, Busch, Sea World show packed areas and long lines.

Remember how WDW cut and did not replace the MK night parade, added all those before and after hours events and dessert parties by taking away park hours and venues, and began charging hotel guests for parking?  Not to mention endless price increases and smaller food portions?  That money grubbing adds up to billions of profits that are sitting as billions of dollars of cash on the corporate books. 

All of it made possible by the blood, sweat and tears of their loyal castmembers.

Could they use some of that cash to help their paycheck to paycheck castmembers?  You know, the money they helped them make? Of course. But will they?  Hell no!  They are going to try and rake in a few more billion by charging more and delivering less for as long as they can get away with it. It’s worked for them in the past, and they’re betting it will again.  And it probably will.

Like I said. They’re just another money-grubbing heartless corporation. 

TCD

22 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Remember how WDW cut and did not replace the MK night parade, added all those before and after hours events and dessert parties by taking away park hours and venues, and began charging hotel guests for parking?  Not to mention endless price increases and smaller food portions?  That money grubbing adds up to billions of profits that are sitting as billions of dollars of cash on the corporate books. 

All of it made possible by the blood, sweat and tears of their loyal castmembers.

Could they use some of that cash to help their paycheck to paycheck castmembers?  You know, the money they helped them make? Of course. But will they?  Hell no!  They are going to try and rake in a few more billion by charging more and delivering less for as long as they can get away with it. It’s worked for them in the past, and they’re betting it will again.  And it probably will.

TCD

The rich get richer, and it's always on the backs of the "little" people.

The compassionate corporations are few and far between and are a dying breed.

25 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The rich get richer, and it's always on the backs of the "little" people.

The compassionate corporations are few and far between and are a dying breed.

You’re right- it’s the American way. 

I don’t think there are any more compassionate corporations. Disney used to be different. In my personal experience, they are the last corporation I’ve dealt with that at least made an effort at customer service.  Have you dealt with Amazon or Walmart or any other big company  lately?  The pits. Now Disney is right down there with the rest of them. Sad. 

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You’re right- it’s the American way. 

I don’t think there are any more compassionate corporations. Disney used to be different. In my personal experience, they are the last corporation I’ve dealt with that at least made an effort at customer service.  Have you dealt with Amazon or Walmart or any other big company  lately?  The pits. Now Disney is right down there with the rest of them. Sad. 

TCD

All too true.

I worked part time in the Geek Squad at Best Buy for 15 years and it really changed over the years.

Partially because they wiped out all of their competition.

When I started we were up against Circuit City, Sears,  Comp USA, Gateway stores and a few others that were tops in their fields.

When I got hired, I was told if we knew that a competitor had an item that we didn't carry, and would be a better fit for the customer,  we should refer them to that store.

That was good customer service.

As we wiped out the competition we doubled down on pushing service plans and add ones trying to get every last dime from the customers.

I finally got tired of trying to sell and not doing repairs, so I packed it in.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

This has been building for a long time.  It started in subtle, quiet ways, just a little less service here or there at the Fort, not being able to resolve an issue/25 people on a site on weekends; fewer people behind the counter at the restaurants or clearing tables; a couple of staff less in the Emporium or World of Disney when you were shopping; more people getting fast passes than the system could handle; less gardening here or there; and higher prices for everything. As TCD notes; cut the parades, cut the fireworks, cut away anything they can.    All small things by themselves  but they have added up.  Now, with COVID 19 it is the perfect opportunity/excuse to really cut deeply across the board, to get rid of staff and entertainment, the student program, the foreign staff at Epcot,  DVC staff, DCL staff; all with the justification it is necessary now.

In a couple of years they will hire some folks for minimum wage who have no idea what being a Disney cast member should mean and there will be nobody left to teach them.  All the "old timers" will be gone and their collective memories vanished.  No-one will even know what "Kungaloosh" means never mind be able to mix a batch!  

The shareholder price will increase, the executives will continue to get their exorbitant pay cheques and bonuses.  

People like us will be sad, weep a little, and say "remember when" whenever we do visit but we are a dying group and frankly I don't think Disney gives a hot damn about any of us.   

Walt is  spinning in his grave. 

There is a lot of bitterness among the fired/laid off cast, i don't think a lot of them will even want to go back to WDW.

I don't know if it is alright to post this here so, if not, take it down.

Some of the let go cast have created a face book page to support each other and to hopefully sell some of their wares/services.

The name of the group is "ear for each other".  It is a public page but only the fired cast are allowed to sell on it. Anyone can buy from it.  We all can comment and buy.   I believe there are cast from both coasts involved.

2 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

There is a lot of bitterness among the fired/laid off cast, i don't think a lot of them will even want to go back to WDW.

Some of the let go cast have created a face book page to support each other and to hopefully sell some of their wares/services.

The name of the group is "ear for each other".  It is a public page but only the fired cast are allowed to sell on it. Anyone can buy from it.  We all can comment and buy.   I believe there are cast from both coasts involved.

I will go and find it - thank you

11 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Unfortunately, TCD Twin #1 got the call last week that she is one of the 28,000. We are all gutted. Two college programs, both at WDW and DL, and three years of hard work since graduating from college, and she has been kicked to the curb so Disney can afford to pay their executives and shareholders and sit on billions of dollars of cash in hopes of buying up some bargains in the coming economic crisis.  

For now, Twin #2 remains employed in the Disney HR department, but she suspects that will only last as long as it takes to clean up the little messes caused by firing tens of thousands of employees. Then she will get kicked to the curb in another wave of layoffs.

They grew up foolishly believing that Disney would reward them for their love, hard work, and effort. 

It turns out that Disney is just another money grubbing heartless corporation. What a tough lesson to learn at 25. 

TCD

I am so sorry to hear that, I was hoping they would make it through.

15 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Thanks for sharing this Gretchen. I think most of us here have had visits to WDW made all the more magical by terrific CMs, and I'm all for a way to give back and help support them now.

Along the same lines I found this...

In the wake of this news, we’ve seen a surge of support that’s truly heartwarming. And recently, Jessica and Ashleigh of The Theme Parkettes Podcast compiled an INCREDIBLE spreadsheet of resources for Cast Members, including an ongoing list of Cast Member-run businesses and projects we can support! 

Click here to access the spreadsheet!

The document is for Cast Members, former Cast Members, and fans of Cast Members, filled with info ranging from Venmo donations and Amazon Wishlists to various Etsy shops run by Cast Members! 

Carlye Wisel has also put out a call to action on Twitter, encouraging Cast Members to share info on personal businesses, as a way to drum up support. 

She’s received a stream of responses and continues to share resources, including this EPIC doc that @themeparkettes put together! It’s wonderful to see the power of social media being used for GOOD! If you have the ability to support in any way, this is an amazing way to help out the Cast Members that have created so much magic for us and other guests.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020/10/04/heres-a-list-of-disney-cast-member-owned-businesses-you-can-support/?fbclid=IwAR1jXHpoTShe3f7zxvsSkb5tuPFOf3bjlJXhlNt7DFcZokcDEk2yza2u5gQ

The one thing I'd caution people when it comes to donations is to make sure you know who you're donating to.  Unfortunately when bad things happen there are always awful people looking to take advantage.  Be sure to do a little homework to make sure your $ is going where you really want it to.

21 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Still catering to the big spenders...

How many projects have been put on hold that all park goers could enjoy without paying extra?  Mary Poppins in EPCOT was cut at the moment.

A new permit suggests that the next step in construction will soon commence for Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser at Walt Disney World.

A permit was recently filed with the state of Florida by Walt Disney Imagineering to install “set items” for the future resort hotel. The work will be carried out by InterAmerica Stage, Inc., whose work focuses on “stage rigging, stage machinery and specialty theatrical equipment.” The company has experience in the theme park and resort industries, as they’ve worked on projects for Universal Orlando and SeaWorld. Another set installation permit was filed for the project back in July.

Last month, Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser was listed as a “prioritized” construction project by Disney’s Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Christine McCarthy, as the company decreases its capital expenditures due to the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Still catering to the big spenders...

How many projects have been put on hold that all park goers could enjoy without paying extra?  Mary Poppins in EPCOT was cut at the moment.

A new permit suggests that the next step in construction will soon commence for Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser at Walt Disney World.

A permit was recently filed with the state of Florida by Walt Disney Imagineering to install “set items” for the future resort hotel. The work will be carried out by InterAmerica Stage, Inc., whose work focuses on “stage rigging, stage machinery and specialty theatrical equipment.” The company has experience in the theme park and resort industries, as they’ve worked on projects for Universal Orlando and SeaWorld. Another set installation permit was filed for the project back in July.

Last month, Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser was listed as a “prioritized” construction project by Disney’s Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Christine McCarthy, as the company decreases its capital expenditures due to the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic.

It makes sense for them to go full speed ahead on this project. The set up is perfect for post COVID-19 travel. They can require everyone to be tested before arriving, and then keep them in the bubble while they’re there. 

There are plenty of folks who have weathered the pandemic with no negative impact on their finances. Enough to keep this hotel booked for the next few years.  And Disney is undoubtably salivating at the idea of how little they will have to pay starving ex- castmembers to come back and work. 

Disney always wins. 

TCD

10 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Thanks for sharing this Gretchen. I think most of us here have had visits to WDW made all the more magical by terrific CMs, and I'm all for a way to give back and help support them now.

Along the same lines I found this...

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020/10/04/heres-a-list-of-disney-cast-member-owned-businesses-you-can-support/?fbclid=IwAR1jXHpoTShe3f7zxvsSkb5tuPFOf3bjlJXhlNt7DFcZokcDEk2yza2u5gQ

The one thing I'd caution people when it comes to donations is to make sure you know who you're donating to.  Unfortunately when bad things happen there are always awful people looking to take advantage.  Be sure to do a little homework to make sure your $ is going where you really want it to.

Thanks Mo, i sent this list along to my friend.

On 10/5/2020 at 6:16 PM, lightbikes said:

This has been building for a long time.  It started in subtle, quiet ways, just a little less service here or there at the Fort, not being able to resolve an issue/25 people on a site on weekends; fewer people behind the counter at the restaurants or clearing tables; a couple of staff less in the Emporium or World of Disney when you were shopping; more people getting fast passes than the system could handle; less gardening here or there; and higher prices for everything. As TCD notes; cut the parades, cut the fireworks, cut away anything they can.    All small things by themselves  but they have added up.  Now, with COVID 19 it is the perfect opportunity/excuse to really cut deeply across the board, to get rid of staff and entertainment, the student program, the foreign staff at Epcot,  DVC staff, DCL staff; all with the justification it is necessary now.

In a couple of years they will hire some folks for minimum wage who have no idea what being a Disney cast member should mean and there will be nobody left to teach them.  All the "old timers" will be gone and their collective memories vanished.  No-one will even know what "Kungaloosh" means never mind be able to mix a batch!  

The shareholder price will increase, the executives will continue to get their exorbitant pay cheques and bonuses.  

People like us will be sad, weep a little, and say "remember when" whenever we do visit but we are a dying group and frankly I don't think Disney gives a hot damn about any of us.   

Walt is  spinning in his grave. 

You are absolutely right. 

The current Disney management would be perfectly happy to operate the parks department like a Six Flags or even a traveling carnival as long as the dollars keep rolling in. And that’s clearly the direction they’re heading. 

TCD

15 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You are absolutely right. 

The current Disney management would be perfectly happy to operate the parks department like a Six Flags or even a traveling carnival as long as the dollars keep rolling in. And that’s clearly the direction they’re heading. 

TCD

Disney has been slowly chipping away what made their brand special for years.

People that have been going to the parks and the fort for a long time always post remember when this .....

They are just accelerating it now.

Even people that have only been going for a few years are seeing major changes.

Has Disney been loosing $$?

Yes they have, but so has about 70% of the companies and population.

But I bet they are sitting on plenty of reserve funds that could comfortably take them past this mess without screwing over the workers and guests!

54 minutes ago, Travisma said:

But I bet they are sitting on plenty of reserve funds that could comfortably take them past this mess without screwing over the workers and guests!

And don’t forget that they received untold billions of pandemic bailout money. I’m sure some of it helped to fund the payment of health insurance for the furloughed workers. But now that the free money is gone, so long suckers. 

TCD

Funny even with all the cut backs I just got a email for the bargain of the year (Ha Ha) to add onto my DVC...heck right now I would prefer to get rid of it NOT ADD ON!!!!

UNIVERSAL had another layoff today.

Universal Orlando Lays Off More Workers Amid the PandemicUniversal Orlando Lays Off More Workers Amid thhttps://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2020/10/07/universal-orlando-lays-off-more-worke

Universal Orlando Lays Off More Workers Amid the Pandemic

Universal Orlando Lays Off More Workers Amid the Pande

Article in Orlando Sentinel this morning says 8,857 more cast let go.  They are part-time union cast members.  So that is over 15,000 employees from Disney World.  Now I guess the full time cast will get their cuts.  Disney will expect those workers who are still there to cover all the work the laid off/fired cast won't be there to do.  But at the same pay.