BREAKING: Walt Disney World Theme Parks Now Operating at 35% Capacity

Lots of FB posts recently about how crowded the parks have been.

What people don't realize, is that the % of people allowed in seems to be based on their max (or close to)capacity and not the average daily attendance.

Disney CEO Bob Chapek has confirmed that the Walt Disney World theme parks are currently operating at 35% capacity, increased from 25%. This was made possible due to innovations in attraction operations while maintaining health and safety guidelines. Examples of this include the installation of plexiglass dividers at most attractions, including Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Earlier in October, Chapek had stated that the Walt Disney World theme parks were still capped at 25% capacity. Florida entered a full “Phase 3” reopening in late September, however face mask guidelines and social distancing protocols remain in place across Walt Disney World parks and resorts, with Disney Park Pass reservations required to enter each park.

It’s currently unknown when exactly the parks transitioned to 35%, although we have noticed a definite uptick in crowding and wait times in the past few weeks. Disney recently stated that table-service restaurants had not increased capacity, despite an accidental rollout of additional reservations.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:12 AM, Travisma said:

Lots of FB posts recently about how crowded the parks have been.

What people don't realize, is that the % of people allowed in seems to be based on their max (or close to)capacity and not the average daily attendance.

I think a lot of us realize that it’s based on the max capacity. 

we were there last month and the crowds seemed Bigger, imho social distancing and some rides with long lines make the crowds seem bigger. 

for example we waited in line for 20-25 minutes for Peter pans flight and the line was out the door, around the building and under the walk way into liberty square. 
if we didn’t look at the wait time I would have assumed it was a 90 plus minute wait.  

the other thing that gives the impression of “crowded” is that some of the rides did have really long wait times.  But I think that was do to the fact they limited the amount of guests per attraction vehicle. 
(But it seems like they addressed a few of those rides.)

we rode rise of the Resistance and they only put us three in one vehicle. (5 empty seats)

The other vehicle only had one guest. (7 empty seats)
I rode smugglers run by myself. (5 empty seats)

I could name more but you get the picture. 

And with so many shows closed there is less for people to do and they’re not inside theatres were we can’t see them. 

The other thing that's been mentioned is that since everything in the parks still isn't open (some restaurants, shows, etc.), people are concentrating into a smaller number of "things to do." So even though capacity in the parks is much smaller than pre-COVID normal, ride times are still not super short and it feels busier in the areas that are open.