What is happening? Is FF dying out?

2 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

We started camping at the Fort in the’80’s. Times change, people get older.  I had reservations for September which I must cancel due to a serious health issue.  I do hope to get there again next year but I don’t know how many more trips I have in me. Sad.

What's sad for me is that you are one of the few Fiends that have evaded me, and that was hard to do, just ask Ray.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me, we've actually lost some interest in Disney and the Fort. The uptick in prices, the fact that we can no longer buy an annual pass at present, and the pandemic, has put a damper on our enthusia

I randomly popped on to FF and this was the first thread I noticed.  I have a lot of catching up to do around here but am delighted to see so many familiar names contributing!  When I was a "regular" 

I'm going to touch on a few topic that i've read in this multi page thread.   1. Is FF slowing down?  Answer yes, I think other social media consumes peoples free time online.  I think they

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Lou... said:

They sure are great memories. I met so many great folks during my hundreds of unannounced vists to the Fort. I've remained close to many of them.

Like...knock, knock..Linda "yes",, "Hello, I'm Lou"....Linda "who"?... 😂 She wasn't on FF.. She still talks about that..

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Like...knock, knock..Linda "yes",, "Hello, I'm Lou"....Linda "who"?... 😂 She wasn't on FF.. She still talks about that..

She cracked me up when she first told me that story long after we became friends, it cracks her up too. To paraphrase her "Who is this guy and why is he just showing up here?" 

18 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I just consider it a friendly discussion and thanks we've always enjoyed the times we've met up.  Hope you get to have another great summer trip this year. Those are always great memories, our kids (50,47 & 46) still talk about our travels. 

Thank you.  Last year we were blessed and saw a TON of wildlife in Yellowstone... except for one:  no moose.  Our fingers are crossed that we'll get lucky and see one or two at Glacier.  So blessed to be able to make these memories with our kiddos.  Tom was able to join us for the full trip last year and he's joining us again this year (the previous two I drove out and he flew out to meet us).  I pray that our children, like yours, hold these memories for a lifetime.  We are definitely blessed ❤️

6 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thank you.  Last year we were blessed and saw a TON of wildlife in Yellowstone... except for one:  no moose.  Our fingers are crossed that we'll get lucky and see one or two at Glacier.  So blessed to be able to make these memories with our kiddos.  Tom was able to join us for the full trip last year and he's joining us again this year (the previous two I drove out and he flew out to meet us).  I pray that our children, like yours, hold these memories for a lifetime.  We are definitely blessed ❤️

Reminds me about a trip we took to Maine back in the 70’s.  We were going down a road when Bullwinkle came trotting out of the woods and ran along side the passenger side of our convertible Jeep for about a mile. It was bigger than our Jeep.  I yelled for my wife to take a picture while she was screaming that she was about to get gored by a moose!

11 hours ago, Travisma said:

Reminds me about a trip we took to Maine back in the 70’s.  We were going down a road when Bullwinkle came trotting out of the woods and ran along side the passenger side of our convertible Jeep for about a mile. It was bigger than our Jeep.  I yelled for my wife to take a picture while she was screaming that she was about to get gored by a moose!

That's fantastic :lol:

We were hiking in Smoky Mountain National on a very busy trail (so it was not quiet...which means this guy was not interested in us, thankfully) and this black bear came out of the bushes, about 4-6 feet in front of me and ran across the trail to the berry bushes on the other side.  Of course, my first thought was, "what's that big black dog doing out here?".  Took me a few seconds to realize that it was a bear :lol:

20 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thank you.  Last year we were blessed and saw a TON of wildlife in Yellowstone... except for one:  no moose.   

We saw moose in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.  It was on the east side of mountain.  Surprised the heck out of me and DW

4 hours ago, Live4FW said:

We saw moose in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.  It was on the east side of mountain.  Surprised the heck out of me and DW

You sure it wasn't an ELK..  Moose aren't that far South.

The moose's range extends north to about 72 °N latitude and south to about 40 °N latitude [93]. It occurs from Alaska south through the Rocky Mountain region to Colorado; east to Newfoundland; and south to New Hampshire, northern Wisconsin, and northern North Dakota 

16 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

You sure it wasn't an ELK..  Moose aren't that far South.

The moose's range extends north to about 72 °N latitude and south to about 40 °N latitude [93]. It occurs from Alaska south through the Rocky Mountain region to Colorado; east to Newfoundland; and south to New Hampshire, northern Wisconsin, and northern North Dakota 

We had a bull elk walk right in front of us in Rocky Mountain National.  I wish I could figure out how to attach a picture, because he was HUGE.  The picture I took, he was still a good 20 feet away....then he turned and walk right up to us, turning up the path about 4 feet before he reached us (yes, we were backing up :lol:).  The closer he got, the bigger he got.  He just walked up the trail like he belonged there.  It was fantastic!

Many years ago, INC and took off in my little Saturn packed to the gills with a tent, cooler and assorted stuff, and headed west.  We camped from Buffalo, NY all the way to Bainbridge Island, WA, up to British Columbia and east across the Canadian Rockies.  One of the more memorable experiences was when we were camping in Yellowstone, and spent a day at the Boiling River.  At one point, I was in the river relaxing with my back up against a rock outcropping, next to a waterfall where the hot spring water was gushing into the river.  I couldn't hear anything over the roar of the water.  INC was on the shore opposite from me, and I noticed her gesturing frantically to me and pointing up.  I lifted my head to look above me, and standing on top of the rock peering down at me was a huge Elk.  It's face was probably no more than 3 feet from my head.  I'm glad that water was already warm because I probably peed myself. 

Unfortunately she was too shocked to get a picture of the elk, but here is a pic she took just a few minutes before.  To think this might have been the last picture ever taken of me alive.  😄

BWEOhC0Q3IXre7YftjS1IGcsdahspC2LUxas9tBJ

3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

We had a bull elk walk right in front of us in Rocky Mountain National.  I wish I could figure out how to attach a picture, because he was HUGE.  The picture I took, he was still a good 20 feet away....then he turned and walk right up to us, turning up the path about 4 feet before he reached us (yes, we were backing up :lol:).  The closer he got, the bigger he got.  He just walked up the trail like he belonged there.  It was fantastic!

Rocky Mountain NP is about the southern end of their range. The ones you find in Colorado are the smallest of the subspecies. We use to run into Moose quite a bit when we lived in Colorado and would go camping up in the National Forest along the Poudre Canyon.

23 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Just like old times :bravo:

Haha....yes.   

The race was always to be first for a trip report and then the bet was, how long before the post was hijacked ^_^

6 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Back to the stolen topic, this was at the Trailer Village campground at the Grand Canyon:

RB9KT04l.jpg

Yes!  We stayed there in 2018 and had the females (I'm guessing as no horns) take residency right behind our rig.  It was great!!