What is happening? Is FF dying out?

When I joined the group almost 8 years ago, there were so many different topics and posts on here all the time, that it was hard keeping up with all of them.

Over the last couple of years I've seen the amount of posts dwindling, to the point that sometimes it's a day or more before a post is replied to or a new one started.

Has everyone gotten so busy that they don't have time to post?

Or have people become afraid to voice their opinions or to post anything because someone might take offense or disagree with them?

This used to be the go to place for Fort information and even all things Disney, and it's sad to see the lack of participation on this site nowadays.

Either that or my settings are screwed up and I'm missing a lot of activity!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me, we've actually lost some interest in Disney and the Fort. The uptick in prices, the fact that we can no longer buy an annual pass at present, and the pandemic, has put a damper on our enthusia

I randomly popped on to FF and this was the first thread I noticed.  I have a lot of catching up to do around here but am delighted to see so many familiar names contributing!  When I was a "regular" 

I'm going to touch on a few topic that i've read in this multi page thread.   1. Is FF slowing down?  Answer yes, I think other social media consumes peoples free time online.  I think they

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

When I joined the group almost 8 years ago, there were so many different topics and posts on here all the time, that it was hard keeping up with all of them.

Over the last couple of years I've seen the amount of posts dwindling, to the point that sometimes it's a day or more before a post is replied to or a new one started.

Or have people become afraid to voice their opinions or to post anything because someone might take offense or disagree with them?

This used to be the go to place for Fort information and even all things Disney, and it's sad to see the lack of participation on this site nowadays.

Either that or my settings are screwed up and I'm missing a lot of activity!

For me, we've actually lost some interest in Disney and the Fort. The uptick in prices, the fact that we can no longer buy an annual pass at present, and the pandemic, has put a damper on our enthusiasm for things Disney. (Especially since we just traveled cross country for three weeks, for less than a week at the Fort)

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

I personally think FB has taken some of the activity, but I can't confirm since I don't do FB, I'm basing that on what i hear from others.  And as Carol said, many are not at the FORT due to COVID and the price increases.

I'd put it down to a natural ebb and flow, compounded by COVID issues. As things return to normal, and people start camping at the fort again, I bet there will be an uptick.  For those of you going to the Fort, be sure to advertise the site with your snarky signs and magnets. 😃

I'm one of the folks who came here through the great trip reports that show up.  I don't even camp, but I do love hearing about all things Disney.  With a number of the older poster's not as active anymore, we just need an infusion of new-to-the-Fort folks to get the board rocking again. 

58 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I think the biggest problem with trip reports is the huge increase in Photobucket's pricing. They were the easiest to use Photo hosting and linking service. Nothing else since has compared.

Prices are way back down.  I think there is one for $8.00 a month. 25,000 pic storage, unlimited hosting.

3 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I personally think FB has taken some of the activity, but I can't confirm since I don't do FB, I'm basing that on what i hear from others.  And as Carol said, many are not at the FORT due to COVID and the price increases.

Even the Facebook groups related to Fort Wilderness have really slowed down.  I think the pricing and the difficulty getting reservations while there are so many new RVs has taken some of the appeal away.  

27 minutes ago, fotofx....Steve said:

I think part of it is that many regulars probably do not want to fight for reservations to wear a mask on a golf cart. Hopefully as things slowly get back to normal the posts will once again rise. We do need to promote the site and get some "New Blood"...

That rumor is now floating around, similar to the new photo exception.

Masks no longer will be needed when, walking around the grounds , visiting the dog park, riding a GC or bike  The exception being at the bus stops, on a bus, in a group or in a building. 

We're in Carol's boat. We just aren't doing Disney or the Fort like we did. It isn't just the pricing changes but other things that have eroded the experience like having to schedule more and more activities months in advance when we prefer to make activity decisions on the fly. Add in the severe reduction in late Extra Magic Hours and other guest perks and there isn't a compelling reason to stay on property anymore. Our current plan is to see about making a visit in the Halloween/Thanksgiving gap of 2022 and maybe take the grandson, and his parents, who will be 4 1/2 for his first trip. There is still a lot of wait and see as who knows what other changes Disney might come up with to make the experience less fun in the meantime.  

When I joined Fort Fiends my girls were still in elementary school. My son was just starting high school.  They are all grown now. It’s difficult even trying to plan a weekend away sometimes where we can all go. Like I mentioned in the Defeated Creek GG thread. Our lives are moving in different directions. 
I was thinking the other day about it and I was thinking it is like a neighborhood. When my family moved in to our neighborhood it was brand new. Like just a few streets done and most of us had small children. You would constantly see children playing and lots  of neighborhood planned activities As the children got to be older the neighborhood became more “quiet.” Some of the original families have moved away and new younger families are moving in. I am seeing an increase in neighborhood activities. 
I think the same will happen here so long as we remember to let people know about Fort Fiends. Yes people can go on Facebook, but let’s be honest how many of us cringe at some of the advice given there. I do not go to Disney or camping nearly as much as most of you. When any of my friends outside of here ask me for advice or a question, I always say, “ Well what I learned from my friends at Fort Fiends is...” 

I have enjoyed all the Trip Reports and fun posts from everyone that posted them, whether it was Disney related or not.

And I appreciated the time and effort they put in them. A big Thank You!

I hope more people will come back and share their trips and other interesting info going forward.

This forum has always had the most friendly and respectful people. I am honored to be a part.🙂

So, I have not posted here in a long time and actually have no been on the site for a long time as well. We started camping at the fort back in 2008 when our daughter was 2 and our son was a new born. We camped for 10 years there up until 2018 and Disney prices and booking a year out to get a site forced us out. We were just talking the other night about the great memories we had during those 10 years with our children growing up camping at the fort.  Since we are locals, there was a time you could grab a reservation on a Wednesday for the upcoming weekend. We must have camped at least 50 times at the fort during those years. As others have said, life moves on and things change. Our daughter is 15 now. She loves Disney, but Disney Springs will have to do once in a great while. Our neighbor camped there a few weeks back and paid $266 a night for a premium site. That’s crazy.  The next generation of families with small children will not be able to afford the experience at the fort like we did. With Covid and the money they lost with the parks closed and Disneyland still closed, I don’t foresee anything getting cheaper or easier. Good luck campers, have fun

4 hours ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

We need to have more of a presence on Facebook.  Dizney Mouse Campers seems to be very popular there.

There is already a page on Facebook for Fort Fiends. If you have not already liked the page here is the link. 
https://m.facebook.com/fortfiends/

Also, it is imperative that we “like” the posts and comment on them. I have been slacking in this area. 

On 4/14/2021 at 4:50 PM, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

There is already a page on Facebook for Fort Fiends. If you have not already liked the page here is the link. 
https://m.facebook.com/fortfiends/

Also, it is imperative that we “like” the posts and comment on them. I have been slacking in this area. 

We need to post more on the facebook page.  That way more people will like and join.

I don't do Facebook. My social media is limited to this and several other forums and of those the majority are professional user groups. If Facebook became the primary communications vehicle unless it was mirrored here and visa versa I would likely stop not only posting but lurking too.  I'm not sure how many other members it would affect but I don't believe I am the only one who doesn't do Facebook. 

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

I don't do Facebook. My social media is limited to this and several other forums and of those the majority are professional user groups. If Facebook became the primary communications vehicle unless it was mirrored here and visa versa I would likely stop not only posting but lurking too.  I'm not sure how many other members it would affect but I don't believe I am the only one who doesn't do Facebook. 

You are correct.  I do not do Facebook either.  I only follow three forums and this is one of them.  I would be very sorry to lose this one.  Even though I do not post very often I check it regularly just to follow the news of WDW and the Fort.  Although we haven't stayed at the Fort in years, largely due to the cost, we always do several visits there when we are in the area if only to chat to the CMs we have met over the years or catch a meal or visit with friends who might be staying there. 

I would be sorry to see this forum migrate to Facebook.

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

Nope I know lots of people who don’t use social media. The page is set up to draw people here not to get folks from here over to Facebook. I was just thinking of the algorithms. If those of us who are on Facebook already like and comment on the posts then it gets more of a presence. 

Like I said in the initial post, there used to be posts about the Fort, Disney, the evil Universal, food, characters, and ones that went off the track so far you had to go back to the original OP to find out what everyone was talking about.

There was always something to read and reply to.

I miss those days.

35 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Like I said in the initial post, there used to be posts about the Fort, Disney, the evil Universal, food, characters, and ones that went off the track so far you had to go back to the original OP to find out what everyone was talking about.

There was always something to read and reply to.

I miss those days.

I know for myself that when I first joined Fort Fiends I was a SAHM. My children were between the ages of 8-14. I had more time after they went to bed to post and comment. As they got older and as I started working part time my time became more limited. I also agree with Carol about the ease of posting pictures for Trip Reports is gone. Sadly, I don’t have a solution for that. 
My thought is this rather than focus on the past, why not continue to just post when we feel called. When I need prayers or positive thoughts I know I can turn to Fort Fiends. If I need advice on places to eat either at Disney or even places outside of Disney Ike Memphis, I don’t ask my friends on Facebook. I come here to Fort Fiends.

Mark- thanks for starting this thread. You asked a good question, and this thread gives me a good place to share some thoughts. 

Yes, this message board is in decline. It has been for a long time. Message Boards are not popular any more. They’re all fading away. 

As for this one, I agree with the others about how Disney and the Fort have lost a lot of magic lately.  The dealbreaker for me personally has been how poorly they have treated passholders and castmembers as a result of COVID-19.  I understand that they are a business, but Disney has relentlessly focused on making huge profits at the expense of loyal passholders and castmembers.  They’re also treating DVC members badly.

As most everyone here knows, before the pandemic the TCD twins had been castmembers for 5+ years and both worked very hard and put up with a lot to get on career paths that were very promising.  When COVID hit, that changed. One never got called back and the other took a temporary assignment with Disney doing some very important and sensitive HR work and was treated very badly.

They are 25 years old with college degrees, and could not sit around hoping that Disney would offer them some crappy positions when they finally decide to loosen the purse strings. So, they have both moved on. They both have new jobs with new companies where they are making more money and have brighter futures.

But, it’s heartbreaking for them to have been treated so poorly despite their hard work and loyalty.  

So, it’s break time for the TCD gang and Disney.  Such a shame.  

TCD

18 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Mark- thanks for starting this thread. You asked a good question, and this thread gives me a good place to share some thoughts. 

Yes, this message board is in decline. It has been for a long time. Message Boards are not popular any more. They’re all fading away. 

As for this one, I agree with the others about how Disney and the Fort have lost a lot of magic lately.  The dealbreaker for me personally has been how poorly they have treated passholders and castmembers as a result of COVID-19.  I understand that they are a business, but Disney has relentlessly focused on making huge profits at the expense of loyal passholders and castmembers.  They’re also treating DVC members badly.

As most everyone here knows, before the pandemic the TCD twins had been castmembers for 5+ years and both worked very hard and put up with a lot to get on career paths that were very promising.  When COVID hit, that changed. One never got called back and the other took a temporary assignment with Disney doing some very important and sensitive HR work and was treated very badly.

They are 25 years old with college degrees, and could not sit around hoping that Disney would offer them some crappy positions when they finally decide to loosen the purse strings. So, they have both moved on. They both have new jobs with new companies where they are making more money and have brighter futures.

But, it’s heartbreaking for them to have been treated so poorly despite their hard work and loyalty.  

So, it’s break time for the TCD gang and Disney.  Such a shame.  

TCD

Happy to hear that they landed well!! 

Thanks TCD for the update:  I made my last trip to Disney in January and will likely not be back for the foreseeable future.  As I said to DW heading out that day,  I’ve got Disney out of my system. My money will be going to Universal, Sea World/BG and Dollywood from now on.  Heck I think my local 6 Flags park treats me better,

As for Fort Fiends I really miss the old days but realize time moves on.  We sold our trailer several years ago, kiids have grown up, and haven’t visited a Disney park in 3 years (only Fort Wilderness because of excellent cabin discounts during pandemic) so I have virtually no content to add.  But I keep thi forum pinned and still lurk regularly.

Now when the grandchildren come “all bets are off”