Orange County IS relaxing mask requirements (updated)

27 minutes ago, Travisma said:

.... but Lowes, Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart etc still enforce mask wearing.

That is because most large corporations are following CDC and federal government recommendations in order to avoid liability for someone claiming to have caught COVID on their premises. It doesn't cost them anything and gives them a good argument that they followed the rules so are not culpable. With as often as Disney gets sued frivolously I expect they will stick with what they have been doing for a while yet. 

44 minutes ago, keith_h said:

That is because most large corporations are following CDC and federal government recommendations in order to avoid liability for someone claiming to have caught COVID on their premises. It doesn't cost them anything and gives them a good argument that they followed the rules so are not culpable. With as often as Disney gets sued frivolously I expect they will stick with what they have been doing for a while yet. 

I agree, I just didn't want others to get excited that because Orange is changing their policy that Disney will.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Disney doesn't have to follow relaxed guidelines.

We have a county just N of Tampa that did away with the county ordinance about wearing masks last week. 

I noticed a couple independent stores took down their signs, but Lowes, Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart etc still enforce mask wearing.

But apparently they are already "relaxing" the rules.   You can take it off for a photo.. the rumor is out that the rule is being relaxed at the FORT in certain areas. We were at DS Thursday and many people were sitting, no food or drink, with their masks off, no CM commented.   We will see....

17 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

But apparently they are already "relaxing" the rules.   You can take it off for a photo.. the rumor is out that the rule is being relaxed at the FORT in certain areas. We were at DS Thursday and many people were sitting, no food or drink, with their masks off, no CM commented.   We will see....

We have felt safer on Disney properties with their rules then most other places.

• Grumpy and Grandma changed the title to Orange County IS relaxing mask requirements (updated)

FROM NEWS 6:

The first phase of the three-phased plan took effect immediately. It reduces physical distancing requirements from 6 feet to 3 feet and aligns the rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated people with the CDC guidelines put out Tuesday.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/04/28/orange-county-mayor-announces-3-phased-plan-to-roll-back-mask-mandate/

1 minute ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Do you think that will affect WDW?
I bet it doesn’t. 

since it excludes large outdoor gatherings

It shortens the PHYSICAL DISTANCING which WDW has been following, so that shortens the queues and it excludes indoor not outdoor in Phase II. 

The first phase of the three-phased plan took effect immediately. It reduces physical distancing requirements from 6 feet to 3 feet

PHASE II

This phase lifts the mask mandate for all outdoor activities for everyone in the county, though people will still be required to maintain at least 3 feet of distance between groups. The county will still require masks for indoor activities, except when people are eating or drinking.

46 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

It shortens the PHYSICAL DISTANCING which WDW has been following, so that shortens the queues and it excludes indoor not outdoor in Phase II. 

The first phase of the three-phased plan took effect immediately. It reduces physical distancing requirements from 6 feet to 3 feet

PHASE II

This phase lifts the mask mandate for all outdoor activities for everyone in the county, though people will still be required to maintain at least 3 feet of distance between groups. The county will still require masks for indoor activities, except when people are eating or drinking.

I thought I heard in the news clip that you shared. That phase 1 lifts the mask mandate for small outdoor gatherings but not large outdoor gatherings. If that is the case you’ll still have to wear a mask inside the parks and at Disney Springs. 
Or did I hear that wrong?

3’ or 6’ feet. I don’t care about that. It’s having to wear a mask at Epcot while walking around drinking a beer. 

28 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I thought I heard in the news clip that you shared. That phase 1 lifts the mask mandate for small outdoor gatherings but not large outdoor gatherings. If that is the case you’ll still have to wear a mask inside the parks and at Disney Springs. 
Or did I hear that wrong?

It's written in the article that in PHASE II no mask outdoors.  I  copied it verbatem, here it is again.

This phase lifts the mask mandate for all outdoor activities for everyone in the county,

23 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

It's written in the article that in PHASE II no mask outdoors.  I  copied it verbatem, here it is again.

This phase lifts the mask mandate for all outdoor activities for everyone in the county,

But Orange County is only in the first phase.  Which the CDC requires masks when in large outdoor gatherings.

That’s why I don’t think it will affect Disneyworld’s mask policy. When we go into phase 2 it might affect it if Disney follows orange county guidelines. 

Or am I missing something?

Disney can follow relaxed guidelines if they want. 

But as a huge private company, if they want to keep 6 feet and masks required outdoors and indoors its their prerogative.

Many counties in FL never had or have now relaxed mask guidelines, but a lot of business's still require them to enter their facilities.

Our governor has declared that there will be no vaccination "passports" allowed in the state.

I believe the feds have stated they are not going to create one either.

So I don't understand how the new federal guidelines about being vaccinated and relaxing distances, etc will work or can be enforced.

A lot of people that fought wearing masks have also rejected getting a shot.

So since I'm sure you can't be asked for proof of a vaccination (HIPA Laws) people can just do what they want.

I think the only exceptions are overseas travel and cruise lines.

8 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Disney can follow relaxed guidelines if they want. 

I think if Universal and SW do, WDW will also.  In the press conference Deming specifically said the attractions can increase capacity immediately.  

11 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I think if Universal and SW do, WDW will also.  In the press conference Deming specifically said the attractions can increase capacity immediately.  

Possibly. 

But bean counters are now running Disney, and if they think relaxing mask mandates will open them up to a lawsuit, they will keep things the way they are.

By the looks of some of the FB posts from DW, they are still making $$$.  Especially with all the savings from various things being cut back/closed, trams, some boats, resorts  etc.

They are paying CM the equivalent of 4 hours if fully vaccinated by Sept. 30 and they are setting up Vac sites on property.

From FOX35 this morning.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/disney-world-paying-employees-to-get-vaccinated-against-covid-19

I think the union will be very responsive to getting back to normal and everybody back to work ASAP. 

Things are changing rapidly with the CDC since people are starting to see that they don't know what the h--- the're doing, look at the Cruise announcement today... Back to full cruising by Mid JULY.. 

19 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Things are changing rapidly with the CDC since people are starting to see that they don't know what the h--- the're doing, 

Remember back in the good old days where we had real news reports where the anchors reported the news, didn't do happy talk or interject their opinions.

Huntley/Brinkley, Walter Cronkite, Gabe Pressman.

Now we have "news" shows that are like the View/Today show.  Very little substantial news, lots of happy crap that would in the past be only printed in a neighborhood news letter.

Things are confusing because everyone puts their own spins on everything and we have more talking head "experts" than stars in the sky.

With FB and other social media anyone can spout whatever they feel like and hordes of people believe them without any evidence backing them.

And everything is reported instantly.  If the CDC says something, it's known worldwide in minutes, and if they made an error or want to backtrack the genie is out of the bottle.

Has there been a lot of conflicting info from the CDC and other experts?  Heck yeah.

But they are just trying to appease the masses that want an immediate solution.

This is still a very fluid situation and experts are learning more about COVID daily, so there are bound to be contradictions from previous reports.

But this is just the way we live now......

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Remember back in the good old days where we had real news reports where the anchors reported the news, didn't do happy talk or interject their opinions.

Huntley/Brinkley, Walter Cronkite, Gabe Pressman.

Now we have "news" shows that are like the View/Today show.  Very little substantial news, lots of happy crap that would in the past be only printed in a neighborhood news letter.

My brother was in journalism his whole life and he always said, "There are no more journalist, only copy writers, nobody researches the story".

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

My brother was in journalism his whole life and he always said, "There are no more journalist, only copy writers, nobody researches the story

this is DIT on INCs ipad...I still haven’t figured out the login on this thing lol.  

Your brother must have gotten depressed to see what has become of the media.   Old school journalists are rare these days.   

21 minutes ago, itsnotcindy said:

this is DIT on INCs ipad...I still haven’t figured out the login on this thing lol.  

Your brother must have gotten depressed to see what has become of the media.   Old school journalists are rare these days.   

Local TV news is the absolute worse.

They start broadcasting around 3 or 4 PM, and regurgitate the same stories every 1/2 hour.

Very little of it is real news, it's more "the vaccination site closed without notifying me" (even though they had it on the news for 3 days it was closing) and "I'm upset!"

We have had the same news for a week about a pool company that started jobs and haven't finished them .  The "consumer reporter" is getting a ton of air time.

2 hours ago, itsnotcindy said:

He did.. We discussed the media's BS many times. 

On 4/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

My brother was in journalism his whole life and he always said, "There are no more journalist, only copy writers, nobody researches the story".

Goodness, yes. This point has (in my opinion) been driven home in the past 18 months.  The "news source" will be a comment (which is personal commentary) in a newspaper article and corporate media runs with it, as if it's factual information.  Additionally, retractions are a thing of the past.  When lies are put out there, the party submitting the lies simply goes on as if there's nothing to see.  Rarely do you hear an apology and/or a correction.   It's both exhausting and infuriating.