Study: This stretch of I-4 is the most dangerous road in America

According to a new study by Teletrac Navman, Interstate 4 between Tampa and Daytona Beach is the deadliest road in America.

The study says it averages more than one fatality per mile. Between 2016 and 2019, 150 people were killed in collisions along that stretch of interstate.

This is the second time it has earned the dubious distinction. A section of U.S. 192 between Four Corners and Indialantic came in at number 3 on the list.

10 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

So why are there so many fatalities? Is it the roads themselves (construction,  narrow, etc) or just the volume of traffic on it each day? 
I don’t typically travel on it. So curious is all. 

I would say the cause is idiot drivers, I usually avoid I-4 but this year I did use it from 50 back to 95, it was not that bad but I planned my trip well after the morning commute

15 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

So why are there so many fatalities? Is it the roads themselves (construction,  narrow, etc) or just the volume of traffic on it each day? 
I don’t typically travel on it. So curious is all. 

4 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

I would say the cause is idiot drivers, I usually avoid I-4 but this year I did use it from 50 back to 95, it was not that bad but I planned my trip well after the morning commute

All of the above plus unmitigated government corruption and malfeasance. It is absolutely shocking to see the amount of unchecked development that has been allowed along the I-4 corridor with no improvement in infrastructure or provision for the astronomical traffic that logically flows from the unchecked development.

But if you have enough cash and know the right crooked politicians, you can build a toll road going to nowhere on or near land that you own and then build all kinds of residential units that will dump out onto the overcrowded interstates. 

TCD

4 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Avoiding the morning commute is wise if you are able to do that. DH always does that. When we lived in MD he would go into work later and leave from work later. It worked for us too because at the time I was working too and our son was in daycare. He took our son to daycare and I picked him up.  

20 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

All of the above plus unmitigated government corruption and malfeasance. It is absolutely shocking to see the amount of unchecked development that has been allowed along the I-4 corridor with no improvement in infrastructure or provision for the astronomical traffic that logically flows from the unchecked development.

But if you have enough cash and know the right crooked politicians, you can build a toll road going to nowhere on or near land that you own and then build all kinds of residential units that will dump out onto the overcrowded interstates. 

TCD

Thanks for the reply. Not living there or even traveling that way regularly, I don’t generally pay attention to the local government workings. 

7 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Thanks for the reply. Not living there or even traveling that way regularly, I don’t generally pay attention to the local government workings. 

The corruption and malfeasance has been from the Governor’s office and Legislature more than it has been from local governments. So we now have horrible roads, schools, and our environment is a disaster. But at least we don’t have a State income tax, and you can go wherever you want without a mask. Paradise.

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The corruption and malfeasance has been from the Governor’s office and Legislature more than it has been from local governments. So we now have horrible roads, schools, and our environment is a disaster. But at least we don’t have a State income tax, and you can go wherever you want without a mask. Paradise.

TCD

My mistake should have said state and local not just local. 

And my opinion is impatient local drivers and lost tourists. 

The impatients weave in and out of traffic going as fast as possible.    (at times you are likely to end up at same exit with them just in front of you)

Then we have the wonderful tourists and the locals who slow down to be able to read their phones.  PULL OVER you fools.

I-4 has been a nightmare to drive these past few years.  It is getting better but is still under construction.  I forget who first called the "construction of I-4" the Destruction of I-4.   That has been what I've called it since.

During the first several years of the destruction we never knew when a lane would be changed and the road markings were so confusing.  The 'old' markings never totally removed and new ones hard to see.  There is bridge west bound near Universal where it was especially treacherous.  Hated that area. Especially at night or in the rain.

Then there are lanes that just appear or disappear.  I would be in the middle lane and all of a sudden I was in right hand lane that was turning into an exit only lane.  That has improved, however be careful east bound heading into Orlando.  The right hand lane becomes the exit lane for South Street.  Just over the bridge over OBT another left lane is added, so before the bridge I drive in the left lane knowing I will soon be back in the middle lane as that new left lane comes up.

The road is smoother in a lot of places now, so we can hope.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

And my opinion is impatient local drivers and lost tourists. 

The impatients weave in and out of traffic going as fast as possible.    (at times you are likely to end up at same exit with them just in front of you)

Then we have the wonderful tourists and the locals who slow down to be able to read their phones.  PULL OVER you fools.

Along with the fact that there is NO enforcement of the KEEP RIGHT law.  Far too many people drive below the posted limit in the left lane whether it be on I-4, 27, 192 or any multi-lane road with a vast majority on their phones so people weave to pass.   I also agree with Andrew this state has the WORST planning and zoning that I have ever encountered not only at the State level, but also at the County level. 

17 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Along with the fact that there is NO enforcement of the KEEP RIGHT law.  Far too many people drive below the posted limit in the left lane whether it be on I-4, 27, 192 or any multi-lane road with a vast majority on their phones so people weave to pass.   I also agree with Andrew this state has the WORST planning and zoning that I have ever encountered not only at the State level, but also at the County level. 

Alabama recently also adopted that law about keeping right. It doesn’t seem to be followed here either.