Early January trip

Ok ladies and gents after to long of a hiatus, I'm back and planning a trip to the mouse house. Deposit is laid out and the 5 day trip is a ago(would have loved 7 days but I cannot get around weekend campers).  

Whos been early in January and what should i expect crowd and weather wise. we will arrive on the 3rd. Throw me your experience's and weather report. Thanks a ton!!!!!

I've been in early January, not camping, but staying on property.   Temperatures can range from the 40's to the 80's, but the standard is in the 60's and 70's.   Too early in the year for the every afternoon rain shower, spring storms or hurricanes, so unless you just get bad luck, you shouldn't have to worry about too much rain.  Keep your poncho's handy, though.

Cold fronts have been known to push down that far south, so if you have really bad luck, it may get to freezing. 

Crowds are usually pretty low,  the Christmas/NY crowds have gone home, everyone is broke from the holidays, kids are in school and the MLK day crowds aren't there yet.   One of my favorite times to visit, because of that.

Make sure you check for what is expected to be under refurbishment.  January is prime time for rides to be worked on, so some of your favorites may not be available.  At least one water park will be closed for refurb.  They used to switch out TL and BB each year, but I don't know if the pandemic interrupted the schedule.

(Context: I've lived my entire life in New England, the last 30 years in southern NH)

Temp ranges can swing about a bit as already noted, and in my experience, when it's "cold" in FL, it's a damp cold, which affects me a lot more than our icy, dry cold up this way. That said, I've tent camped at the Fort in January and gone from needing the electric heater and an extra fleece blanket inside my sleeping bag on the first night, to sleeping with just a sheet and the fan blowing 3 nights later. So... anything goes!

Layers are your friend, and if you're not from cold places (like here in NH) pack warm hats, mittens and socks, just in case.

Personally I love FL in January, but then NH in January....  ;)

Crowd-wide WDW in January is nice, with the exception of MLK weekend which tends to be busy-ish.

When our kids were young we would go to WDW when they were tracked out in January. We found the daytime temps tended to run from the low 60's to low 80's. I don't think we saw anything much below the mid-50's at night. What we would wear here in NC for winter clothing was more than adequate for anything Florida could throw at us cold wise. We also packed summer clothes for the more typical daytime temps in the 70's.

I can't speak to crowds these days but in the 90's and early 2000's January was a good time as it was in between US school vacation times and Brazilian youth groups.

I lived in central Florida next to WDW for decades and now that I've lived in cold weather country for two winters, the Atlanta area, I really miss the Florida winters. However, while there I've seen ice, rain and lots of sunshine in Jan. As Forest Gump said, you never know whatcha gonna get.

We often go to the Fort in January and February.  Usually, we have mostly dry weather, but there can be significant temperature swings.  We have been there a couple of times when the over-night temps have gone down to 32 degrees.  We have pictures of our kids, when little, being in ski caps and mittens.  Two days later, it could warm up to 60 or 70.  So, consider planning on taking at least one cold weather set of clothes for all.  Crowd size varies, but we try to avoid weekends.  Have fun!

On 5/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, PghBob said:

We often go to the Fort in January and February.  Usually, we have mostly dry weather, but there can be significant temperature swings.  We have been there a couple of times when the over-night temps have gone down to 32 degrees.  We have pictures of our kids, when little, being in ski caps and mittens.  Two days later, it could warm up to 60 or 70.  So, consider planning on taking at least one cold weather set of clothes for all.  Crowd size varies, but we try to avoid weekends.  Have fun!

Bob, you are the closest to us. We live on the coast of Maryland. Heat, Humid in the summer, cold as all heck in winter, and both in spring and fall. 

I'm super excited as this will be surprise trip for my boys and a first for my little women. Not sure she'll remember, but we sure as heck will. We have a decent size caper at 38'. It runs on 50 amp so hot or cold Isn't a problem. We just have to make sure the bottles are full when we leave. Shouldn't be an issue as we always run the fridge in transit as we have the last 20 years I've been camping in a TT and previous 18 with my parents in their trailer. 

I'm looking at camp lake Jackson and Carolina crossroads as stop overs on the way down and back as needed. Anyone else have favorite layovers on the 95 corridor? 

18 hours ago, Campingdad said:

I'm looking at camp lake Jackson and Carolina crossroads as stop overs on the way down and back as needed. Anyone else have favorite layovers on the 95 corridor? 

For your first day if you want to go a little farther try RVacation in Selma N.C. Another good spot we like is The New Green Acres in Walterboro S.C.

On 5/30/2021 at 7:11 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

For your first day if you want to go a little farther try RVacation in Selma N.C. Another good spot we like is The New Green Acres in Walterboro S.C.

I can attest to staying at New Green Acres in Walterboro, SC