Trails End (and other dining) returning in July

This is not a drill!!! Trails End is reopening! And some other great food options like Caseys and Citricos.

This edition of Foodie News for Walt Disney World Resort covers lots of ground – everything from snacks to signature dining in parks, resorts, and Disney Springs. Check out all the tasty news!

Yee-haw! Trail’s End Restaurant at The Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort will reopen July 17 with hearty family-style skillets for breakfast and dinner.
Guests can mosey on over to Fort Wilderness to start their morning with an oven-fresh pastry basket and berry granola yogurt parfait for the table, followed by a hearty family-style skillet with smoked brisket and eggs, bacon, sausage, and cheesy potato casserole. Of course, no breakfast is complete without Mickey waffles! Adults can sip on Moonshine Morning Cocktails – a Pioneer Mimosa with passion, orange, and guava juices and a Mountain Mary with moonshine.

Dinner at Trail’s End is a rootin’ tootin’ good time that starts with hushpuppies and skillet cornbread with a chopped garden salad for the table. The family-style Smokehouse Skillet comes with pecan-smoked brisket, rotisserie chicken, andouille sausage, fingerlings potatoes, green beans, and buttered corn on the cob. Pork spare ribs, peel n’ eat shrimp, and cornbread-crusted salmon are available as tasty add-ons to the meal.

But Guests should be sure to save room for the Covered Wagon Sundae – a wagon load of ice cream, toppings, brownies, cookies, and chocolate-covered bacon! Adults can even kick back with Moonshine Cocktails.

We’re so excited to announce Guests can now dine “underneath the lovely London sky” in the newly reimagined Cítricos at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, which pays homage to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns. Taking subtle cues from the movie’s animated sequence, the dining room brings Guests into a fanciful garden setting where they can “trip a little light fantastic” as they experience the restaurant surrounded by the glow from decorative lamps and chandeliers.
Chef Andres Mendoza crafted a new menu with starters like Sweet Corn Bisque with pickled fennel, popcorn, and fennel oil and a colorful Strawberry Salad with chamomile-infused goat cheese, frisée lettuce, bacon vinaigrette, and spiced sunflower seeds.

Entrées include Butter-poached Florida Cobia with mashed fingerling potatoes, grilled asparagus, and local mushrooms with a grapefruit beurre blanc or a delicious Guava Barbequed Short Ribs with aged cheddar creamy grits, roasted poblano, curtido slaw, and Brussels sprouts.

For a sweet ending to Guests’ meals, Pastry Chef Kristine Farmer created some truly delicious and decadent desserts such as Warm Apple Rose with seasonal apple, marzipan layers, and frozen coconut milk and the Chocolate Torte, a dark chocolate financier, dark cherry compote, and vanilla bean mascarpone cream.

The wine and cocktail program, designed by Sommelier Israel Perez, is exceptional. For those who enjoy an elevated food and wine experience, the new and exclusive Sommelier Room at Cítricos will allow Israel and his team to source boutique wines that pair with special creations from Chef Andres.
Cítricos will open on July 15, with bookings available on July 1.

Guests can get ready to hit their craving for hot dogs out of the park! Casey’s Corner on Main Street, U.S.A., will reopen June 30 with their classic all-beef hot dogs. Catch hold of a Chili-Cheese All-Beef Hot Dog or dig into a pile of Corn Dog Nuggets with, of course, cheese sauce. And the plant-based Loaded Slaw Dog (plant-based sausage topped with pickled slaw, barbecue vegan aïoli, and roasted corn relish), is back! The Frozen Mint Julep Lemonade is a refreshing homerun to go along with the hot dog. And don’t forget, mobile order is available at Casey’s Corner.

Guests can also get ready to treat themselves to hand-scooped ice cream at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor hosted by Edys. This oh-so-sweet nostalgic ice cream parlor on Main Street, U.S.A., will open July 7 with favorite flavors on a cone or in a cup – fat-free and no sugar added, as well as plant-based non-dairy options will be available. And more sweet news: Barq’s Root Beer Floats and Coca-Cola Floats are back! Not sure it can get much better than that!

Eight Spoons Café at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park is now open and offers their delish Baked Macaroni & Cheese (with or without pulled pork). The exciting news – the Pulled Pork Jelly Donut Sandwich is back! YUM!

Dino Diner will reopen July 4, so Guests can grab a Dino-Rama Chili-Cheese Dog or a Corn Chip Pie. They can even get their churro fix at Dino Diner!

Salt & Straw, the popular scoop shop at Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort, is heading to Disney Springs next year! We will have more details over the next few months, so be sure to check back for the whole “scoop!”

We have a new summer offering the entire family will love starting June 30 – Disney Family Night Dinner. This playful, family-style dining bundle includes a take-out shareable meal, sweet treats, and an original card-type game inspired by some favorite Disney friends for Guests to enjoy.

Disney Family Night Dinner is available from 5-10 p.m. through mobile order and at the two resort locations offering this three-course takeaway meal that serves 3-4.

Centertown Market at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort:
Roasted Jamaican-style Chicken
Fried Yucca
Cilantro Rice
Seasonal Vegetables
Caribbean Pull-apart Rolls with Onion Jam and Guava Butter
Decorate-your-own Mickey and Minnie Cookies

Gasparilla Island Grill at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa:
Garden Salad – Tomato, cucumber, carrots, and a duo of dressings
Savory Lasagna – Three cheese lasagna with tomato sauce
Two Mickey-shaped Cheese or Pepperoni Pizzas
Minnie Cheesecake with strawberry sauce, whipped cream, and fresh berries
9 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I m choosing to be happy hour forward motion. 

I am wondering too if it has to do with kitchen staffing and capacities. Rotisserie chicken is easier to keep up with than fried chicken. When Trails End has made it in the past for the buffet it was also for Hoop Dee Doo.  It suggests to me the set up is massive for cooking it and it doesn’t hold up well for long. 

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I cannot believe that they’re going to serve rotisserie chicken and not fried chicken. And ribs and shrimp are add ons?  Sad. 

TCD

I bet they will get the rotisserie chickens from Sam’s Club for $4.99.  Toss them in a skillet with some corn and charge $49 per person.   

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I am wondering too if it has to do with kitchen staffing and capacities. Rotisserie chicken is easier to keep up with than fried chicken. When Trails End has made it in the past for the buffet it was also for Hoop Dee Doo.  It suggests to me the set up is massive for cooking it and it doesn’t hold up well for long. 

The menu is similar to MBYBBQ 

4 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I think you’re right- easier to keep everything in the skillet at the same temperature and probably also easier to cook in the first place. Plus I’m sure it’s cheaper. What I am wondering is whether there will still be take out fried chicken. I’m afraid that will be cut now too. 

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I think you’re right- easier to keep everything in the skillet at the same temperature and probably also easier to cook in the first place. Plus I’m sure it’s cheaper. What I am wondering is whether there will still be take out fried chicken. I’m afraid that will be cut now too. 

TCD

They have updated the menu and opening date in MDE but no change as of now for P&J. Hopefully that option doesn’t change. 

I don’t understand no fried chicken.  They had it on their “to go” menu because we had it one night while we were staying in the cabin.  It was as good as ever.  The argument about supplying hoop de do doesn’t pan out either because they were able to do the take out only.  I’m thinking it may just be an omission or they want to focus on the rotisserie (read healthier).

2 minutes ago, Live4FW said:

I don’t understand no fried chicken.  They had it on their “to go” menu because we had it one night while we were staying in the cabin.  It was as good as ever.  The argument about supplying hoop de do doesn’t pan out either because they were able to do the take out only.  I’m thinking it may just be an omission or they want to focus on the rotisserie (read healthier).

I am imagining they have a smaller fried for keeping up with the take out orders a small when you order and wait say 15  minutes it’s not that big a deal. But with family style and hopefully all you care to eat (if all goes well I will be there July 18 for dinner and report back) being told it will be 15 minutes while they prepare it might be a different story and slow down a full restaurant setting. 

With the buffet and HDDR they probably had much larger fryers to mass produce and keep it turning over. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

See if you can get a combo...

I got rotisserie and fried. There is a delay for the fried and it is super hot and fresh as it’s made to order. The rotisserie is really good too. There is not guarantee you will always get the fried chicken but it falls under the it certainly can’t hurt to ask category. Short version is everything has been awesome and, to me, higher quality than the buffet 

I will have a longer review on my page most likely but here it is, and the buffet lovers may disagree/hate me for it. 

This was the best dinner I have had at Trails End in years. Sure I missed some minor elements (bread pudding) but the ability of the food was superior and it was hot and fresher than the buffet. Having it served vs. buffet was nice as well. Anything we wanted more of they were happy to bring. The andouille, brisket, rotisserie chicken, breads, and salad and really everything was great. 

I am not a fluff piece kind of person. I showed up expecting to be really disappointed or even hate it. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

if you have any questions on dinner ask away and I will try to answer them. 

Just now, Katman1356...Jason said:

I will have a longer review on my page most likely but here it is, and the buffet lovers may disagree/hate me for it. 

This was the best dinner I have had at Trails End in years. Sure I missed some minor elements (bread pudding) but the ability of the food was superior and it was hot and fresher than the buffet. Having it served vs. buffet was nice as well. Anything we wanted more of they were happy to bring. The andouille, brisket, rotisserie chicken, breads, and salad and really everything was great. 

I am not a fluff piece kind of person. I showed up expecting to be really disappointed or even hate it. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

if you have any questions on dinner ask away and I will try to answer them. 

Oh and dessert hasnt  come out yet